Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martin Pantera series 7000?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Martin Pantera series 7000?

Just purchased a Pantera series 7000. Can anyone direct me to some info on this bow? It has a very cool laser etched panther on the riser. Seems to have a 70 lb max draw. My fish scale only goes to 50lbs! I took it to my bow shop and he will take some measuments and inspect it. What is the history on this, when were these made? I can't find even basic info. Any help would be great! Thank you! Burt

Post Thanks / Like

I know Hutch mentioned to PM me, but I didn't join Martin's staff till 2004 so have no detailed info prior to that and honestly, if I don't have info in front of me I don't have a clue other than Google it and research. The technical info on the website only goes back 10 years. As Hutch said, maybe Spiker can help you.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I had the chance to buy one @ a garage sale late last year and had the same issue about finding out info. I did find some things out about the 7000, but was too late on the sale. I don't think I would have used the bow other than a wall hanger.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

Default So Tosi, what did you learn?

I like the way this bow shoots. I do need to quiet it down a bit and see if I can improve the tune though. What did you learn that would make this bow a wall hanger? It does have a cool zebra wood grip and a laser etched panther on the riser. I'll post some pics when I get a chance...

Burt

Post Thanks / Like

I would play it a bit conservative with a bow this old. Try to keep arrow weight at or above 6 gr/lb. This was the recommended minimum for bows of that era. I might go so far as to recommend staying above 7 gr/lb. This will help preserve the limbs and should help make the bow more quiet.

To make the bow more quiet you need to reduce vibration. There are several products that can help. Limb Savers is one. Cat Whiskers are cheap and go on the string and do as good a job as anything else. Certain stabilizers help absorb vibration. Something like the Simms S-Coil come to mind. These products should all be available at your local archery shop.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Default Here are some pics of my mystery series 7000 Martin Pantera...

Any ideas on the age and specs on this beauty?!? DSCF2881.jpgDSCF2882.jpgDSCF2884.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

The bow look in much better shape than the one I was looking at in a garage sale. I just didn't want to get into something that I could not count on in the field (Limbs/Cam/string). Allot will depend on the draw. For me the bow was way to long, and I have a 29" draw. I tried to find out about the cam but couldn't find much out about a shorter mod. That's why I called it a wall hanger. Just didn't want to put $ into something I was not sure on, I have plenty of other bow that I can put $ into. The egg shaped cams are cool. good luck.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

I would say late "80's' EARLY ''90'S"
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

very late '80s model Pantera. I cannot recall the name of those cams. They came about after the "Mega" wheel of the mid-80s. It was the predecessor to the Sonic cams and "Z" cams which was introduced in the '90s. If I recall, the Firecat at the time was 41" ATA with 16" straight limbs. The Pantera was around 39" ATA. Brace height was around 8" on the Firecat and the Pantera was around 7 1/4" or 7 1/2". I believe the string length with tear drops was around 34 1/2-35" on the Pantera. I believe the Firecat was 36". I would just measure the string as it sits on the bow now. Post that here and I will tell you what length I would suggest replacing with. I would not hesitate to shoot with a new string. the only thing is I would just be sure to use a slightly heavier arrow and IBO of 5 grains per pound.

Post Thanks / Like

Default More Pantera series 7000 pics...

There is a cool wood, laser etched tiger on the riser. It has some glue on it to be removed so it's hard to see in the pic. ATA is 39" and brace ht is 7 3/4". Thank you all for helping me identify this bow. Is five full turns out on the adjustment screw a good bet on this bow? Five turns seem to be fairly common to Martin bows in the bow manuals that I have found online...

BurtDSCF2886.jpgDSCF2887.jpg