Thread: New 2012 Onza3

Post Thanks / Like

Default New 2012 Onza3

Hello, 1st post here! I just rejoined the Martin family by receiving a new 2012 Onza3. Reading the specs, the ATA should be 33.25" and the brace height 7.25". My bow measures 33.5 and 7.0 respectively. Would a twist or 2 on the shooting string bring it into spec? Thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hgsnpr62 View Post
    Hello, 1st post here! I just rejoined the Martin family by receiving a new 2012 Onza3. Reading the specs, the ATA should be 33.25" and the brace height 7.25". My bow measures 33.5 and 7.0 respectively. Would a twist or 2 on the shooting string bring it into spec? Thanks for any help.
    People don't realize it but a couple twists in the string isn't going to change anything. More than likely you need to add a few twists to the cables. This will shorten the A2A and change the orientation of the cams to help the brace height, but you must understand that this will increase both the draw length and the draw weight by a few pounds. Then you'll possibly have to make some adjustments to the module and/or draw stop to tweak the draw length and use the limb bolts to change the poundage. Or after you do the cables you could add some twists to the string (maybe 5 to 10) to get the draw length and weight back to where it was.

Don't get too caught up in getting the specs right on. These are numbers that the factory recommends to get the best performance out of the bow, but they are approximations. You still should play around and find how changing things makes the bow feel better for you.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks bfisher. I'll just finish my set-up and shoot it at these specs and see how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new bow! The Onza is a spectacular choice, and I'm sure you'll be pleased.

Like Mr. Fisher said, don't get too caught up in specs, especially ATA and brace height; as long as they're close, you'll be fine. If really want to get into the specs though, it sounds like your cables are probably a little long....
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!!!

I wouldn't worry about being .25" off specs. Once you start twisting cables you'll have to make sure the cam timing stays on. After you shoot the bow and get a hundred arrows through it or so check the cam timing, or have an archery shop check it for you.

I am sure you are going to like that bow!

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the welcome. I've been heavily involved in trad archery for the last 3-4 years and need to learn a lot about tuning my compounds. I look forward to learning a lot here.
    2012 MartinOnza3, 58@28.5, 2008 Hoyt Katera XL, 52@28.5, Martin Savannah, 54@28.5, Howard Hill Cheetah, 53@28.5, Maryland Bowhunters Society, Traditional Bowhunters of MD, Mayberry Archers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hgsnpr62 View Post
    Thanks for the welcome. I've been heavily involved in trad archery for the last 3-4 years and need to learn a lot about tuning my compounds. I look forward to learning a lot here.
    Wecome to the site, great bunch of informative folks here, stick around and they'll pass on their knowledge to you. I knew nothing about a compound when I first came here except what to call it. Lol. And now I can tear mime compleatly down to just parts and reassemble, adjust, and tune it to shoot bullet holes, just from what I've learned here.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

welcome to MTF.

im with all the above.I'm sure this goes without saying but i will say to check ATA on both sides of the bow.my good friend did not know to do this and he only checked one side.he told me his bow was shooting all over the place and it is in speck.so i check it out and sure enough one side is 32 1/4 and the other is near 33.lol.his string had streched real bad and all in all from lack of taking care of it he has some work to do.