Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: String changing on martin saber

Post Thanks / Like

Default String changing on martin saber

Whats the best way to change strings on these w/o a press detailed instructions would be great. I was gonna block the cam after drawing a coupleinche was tol it was a bad idea. The only way i can think to do this is to roll cam remove toke cable but then limbs wanna come off. Thanks guys plz. Im about 0 mile away from a press

Post Thanks / Like

Take a careful look at the limb bolts. They are screwed into a barrel nut at each end of the riser. Look into the barrel nut from the side and you can see the threads of the limb bolt. Loosen each limb bolt a few turns at a time equally. When you have backed them off about 10 full turns or so you should be able to look into the barrel nut and see daylight or the end of the limb bolt. At this point there should be enough slack that you can remove the string. Then the cables. You may have to or be able to back off about 12 turns, but keep an eye on the limb bolts in the barrel nut.

Once you replace the rigging just crank each limb bolt back in about 4 turns at a time till you reach the desired draw weight.

Hope this is understandable as it really is that simple---most of the time.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum Sabertooth! Do like Fisher said and you'll be fine. One of the nice perks of owning a Martin compound, is that they can be taken down with out a press if they really need to be!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks

Me and hutch discussed this also just nervous lol, im gonna have to do this for peep alignment to lol

Post Thanks / Like

Id post pics of the process so other members who are new can get the hang of it how would u go about this

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sabertooth View Post
    Me and hutch discussed this also just nervous lol, im gonna have to do this for peep alignment to lol
    LOL. Relax, it really is as easy as B Fisfer has said. It takes 18 full turns to remove the limb bolt on my bow, and you'll only need to go 10-12 turns to loosen the rigging enough to remove it, don't worry, each turn of the limb bolt lessens the stored energy of the limbs, by the time you get to 16 turns the rigging will literly fall off the cams. It is so easy that even a 67 year old like me can do it!
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Default Did It

Finally broke down and did it made several vids of the process ill get em up on utube tonight. tied in my dloop and every thing,, wasnt real hard , but i didnt have my dloop tight enough(this aint in the vid) and nocked an arrow and stepped on the porch, drew back to check my peep, didn't even get 3 inches back and pow my dloop pulled out.....lesson learned

think that would hurt my bow arrow took off

Post Thanks / Like

At least no one was hurt! As for the bow, it'll be fine. For one thing you had the weight of the arrow against the string, which is why you shouldn't draw a bow with out an arrow nocked; you just never know!

The other thing is that you learned a lot and took a step further into the archery world than most archers do. I think it's important to learn how to do most of the little things many people take their bows to shops for... It will help make you a better archer if you know how things work .
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks guys

I appreciate all the good advice,

I never draw back without an arrow on....Buddy drew mine back when I first got it, fingers and no arrow i chewed him up one side and down the other...you'd think I had an onza ( I WISH) then i showed him the vid of what happens. These vid are lengthy but ill post the links when they're up hope ya'll like em, criticism is good cause i prolly did alot wrong

Rabbit,

I love working on my own stuff the local dealer is a hoyt mattews dealer and they're a good distance away. Gotta buddy with a Helim(He mad cause I smoke him) and he goes down they're for anything don't know how to do anything but bare basics....btw like ur sig line

Post Thanks / Like

Default links

http://youtu.be/F4iwfs9XkIw

More to cum, should i move this to the diy sec
    Last edited by Sabertooth; 01-25-2013 at 06:50 PM.