Thread: 40 yards and beyond...

Post Thanks / Like

Default 40 yards and beyond...

I'm doing the 20/40 yard set up for the HHA sight.
    I've got my bow sighted in very nicely at 20 yards (2 inch groups) but I'm having a hell of a time trying to get 40 yards sighted in. I'm hitting the target, but not even close to what you would call a group unless 10+ inches count.....now I know that I'm new and still working on my form, but I'm thinking at 40 yards, even a little jiggle or sway before I release will send the arrow off by several inches.
    Anyone have a tip(s) or advice that could help??

*shot 50 arrows at both yardages

Thanks, Keith
    People keep telling me I have ADD, but they just don't underst.....SQUIRREL!

2013 Martin 60# (@44lb) Bengal Pro-Skulz!
    FletcherThumb Release, GT Velocity XT 400gr
    Ripcord rest, HHA XL5519

Post Thanks / Like

Practice some more before trying to sight in for longer ranges. Get your form down and things wil eventually come together. I had a coach back in the 70's who was a bonafide pro. One thing he always told me was to "shoot form. Nothing else matters". Even a poorly tuned bow is capable of shooting tremendously tight groups if you are shooting good form.

Some other words of wisdom from him:

Aim the bow, aim the bow, aim the bow.
    You shoot the bow. Let the bow shoot the arrow.
    The best shots you'll ever make will be the ones where you don't see the arrow go.

How many arrows are you shooting at a time? If it's 6 or more try cutting down to 3. Shoo the first one with your complete attention on aiming at the bullseye. Take more time between shots mentally visualizing your shot sequence and aiming process. As much as we mess around tuning and changing our equipment accuracy achieved with the mind. STEP UP YOUR MENTAL GAME. It's not about how many arrows you shoot, but how many you shoot correctly. The only ONE you can shoot correctly is the one in the bow.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Shoot lots more arrows. Practice, practice, practice, Concentrate on the spot on the target, not on your pin, let the pin float. I shoot all of my yardage marks in on both my HHA OL 5519's.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Sonny Thomas

Default 40 yards and beyond...

Good advice given.
    One thing is to learn to relax. If tense you're forcing the shot and shots are going wander all over.
    Another thing that hinders the shooter or progress is being over bowed, too much draw weight. Only you know that as we are here and you there.
    Practice is nice, practicing until you're tired is wrong. End on a good note.

Post Thanks / Like

Like everyone here is saying, practice practice practice. Like Sonny said, if you're "over bowed" and holding too much weight it can hinder more than help. Also have someone look at your form, make sure that your draw length is correct, its easier to hold on target if your length is correct. Make sure you do the same thing every time, (which again takes practice);

I have a mantra that I say in my head for each shot "Grip set, anchor set, breathe, aim, release, relax". I try not to let my bow arm down until the arrow has hit the target, or is at least well clear, at which point I "relax", this is usually when my release hand touches my shoulder.

Last but not least, is to "Aim small, Miss small"... Don't aim for the circle or the dot, aim for the center of the center of the dot (mental clarity is a huge factor!).

HAVE FUN!!! If you get frustrated, its time to take a break....

In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest you practice at a shorter range sightless to pratice form. 20 feet wil do it, if you can manage tight groups this way, you will have achieved good form and the rest will follow as others have pointed out.

Cheers!
    Durandal
    Scepter V
    53.4 # 29.5 DL
    Victory HV Arrows
    Finger Shooter "Instinctive"

Post Thanks / Like

All the advice here is great!

To some a 10" group at 40 yards might be good enough. It is your choice as to what is exceptable for you.

During the winter when the weather is like it is now here in Wisconsin, I practice in my basement at 5 yards. I don't aim. I blind practice.

I have a bag target suspended from the ceiling.

I draw my bow back with arrow knocked.
    I hold back. Keeping pressure against the backwall, but not pulling against it. (One of the worst habits I ever had was letting that hand creep forward as I anticipated the release and shot.)
    I put my index finger to the trigger of my release and start adding pressure.
    When the arrow releases I keep my bow up and leave my left hand, (I'm left handed), hanging in the air around my ear, for an extended period of time.
    I retrieve the arrow and do it again. I'll do this sometimes 4 or 5 times. Sometimes only once. Sometimes once a day, other days 3 or 4 times.

Since I am not concerned about where the arrow hits I can work on my form. Notice I never said aim. This also trains the muscles. Muscle memory is very important.

I've been shooting bows, thanks to my dad, for about 48 years. In that time I have picked up alot of bad habits and had to retrain them out.

I am no pro. I just know what works for me.

Mike