Thread: Been away for a while, but have a question....please help.....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Been away for a while, but have a question....please help.....

Hey Guys,
    I've been away for quite a while.....about a year or so, I think. Anyway, when I was last here and posting pretty regularly, we had a discussion going on about the Warthog, a bow that I own. I think that mine is a 2010 with the solid limbs, but I do have a question that I was hoping that some of you could help me with. When I last posted, the Warthog was having some teething problems and breaking limbs with good regularity. Does anyone know if that changed after they went to the solid limbs? I'm getting back into shooting my bows again, but don't want to shoot my Hog if it's just going to break it's limbs over and over again. I did have to replace my limbs on that bow before, and the hassle isn't worth it, unless they've really fixed 'em with the new limbs. Any help will be very much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance......good to be back!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back, first and foremost... glad to hear from you!

I guess the first question would be what year your Warthog is, and when the limbs were replaced last. I've heard of several people with older bows in that year range that Martin was having limb problems that have had their problems resolved when Martin changed to Powertough limbs, and started replacing the older limb styles with those. I also have seen that Martin has taken to replacing not only the limbs, but the older CAT cams with their new dual cams, the Nitro cam series.

Hope that helps out some!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wscywabbit View Post
    Welcome back, first and foremost... glad to hear from you!

I guess the first question would be what year your Warthog is, and when the limbs were replaced last. I've heard of several people with older bows in that year range that Martin was having limb problems that have had their problems resolved when Martin changed to Powertough limbs, and started replacing the older limb styles with those. I also have seen that Martin has taken to replacing not only the limbs, but the older CAT cams with their new dual cams, the Nitro cam series.

Hope that helps out some!
    Hi Wscywabbit,
    Thank you for your reply. I had my limbs replaced with the Powertough limbs, too, but have the older and original Cat cams still on the bow. Should those have been replaced, too? Judgeing by the number of replys, I guess that either Martin didn't sell too many Warthogs OR there was little to no interest in that particular bow. I paid over 700.00 for it, bare bow, so I do have a vested interest in getting it to shoot well while still being dependable.
    Again, thank you for your reply.....I very much appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

whman, I had a Firecat with the Cat cams. When it blew a limb last year, I sent it in to Martin, and it came back with new Power Tough limbs, and new Nitro cams. Had a limb blow on one of my Warthogs, so I bit the bullet, and ordered a set of limbs from Dave Barnsdale. I didn't want to have the Cat cams changed out to Nitros. I like the Cats better. Cost me $150 for the limbs, but I got to keep the Cat cams. Haven't had a problem one since changing to the Barnsdale limbs. I think the Cat cams were just too agressive for Martin's limbs, and they started changing them out to Nitros if a limb broke last year. Barnsdale limbs come in black only at that price.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    whman, I had a Firecat with the Cat cams. When it blew a limb last year, I sent it in to Martin, and it came back with new Power Tough limbs, and new Nitro cams. Had a limb blow on one of my Warthogs, so I bit the bullet, and ordered a set of limbs from Dave Barnsdale. I didn't want to have the Cat cams changed out to Nitros. I like the Cats better. Cost me $150 for the limbs, but I got to keep the Cat cams. Haven't had a problem one since changing to the Barnsdale limbs. I think the Cat cams were just too agressive for Martin's limbs, and they started changing them out to Nitros if a limb broke last year. Barnsdale limbs come in black only at that price.

Hey Ehunter,
    That's really good information.....looks like a call to Barnsdale is on the "to do" list. Could you tell me what the velocity numbers look like with Barnsdales? I know that when I switched to the Power Tough Limbs, my arrow speed really dropped. Guess it has to do with the solid versus laminated limb technology, but Martin would never comment. Good to hear that your troubles with limbs came to an end, and I wish you the greates of luck with your "updated Warthog".
    Take care, Ehunter.