Thread: Draw length

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Draw length

Okay guys,
    I know it's been beat to death,
    Finger tip to tip, and either minus 15 divide by 2, or divide by 2.5, either way i measure 29", been looking for 5x modules for the Firecat, BUT!!
    If i shoot a release, that will or will not put me at 28-28.5 so I can comfortably sit in the valley with hand sitting pretty much on my cheek, and the nock close to the corner of my mouth, I've been reading that a little shorter D/L is more comfy, and easier to shoot than to long
    Do i need to look for 4x instead to put me in 28" range to shoot with a release and a D loop
    Derik

Post Thanks / Like

When I use that formula I come out with a 29" draw length. That will work fine for me if I shoot fingers like I do on my long bow and recurve. On my compounds however, I have found a 28" or 27.5" setting is best for me.

I know they say figure about .5" for the release, but I loose a good 1" to the release, if not more. Then the D-Loop at very least another .5" or more.

It's actually more acurate to take hold of the bow you are setting up, put on your release, tie on a D-Loop, and draw back and measure.

I know the shorter draw gives a slower arrow speed, but .5" shorter will also give you a more open draw with more arm clearance. Accuracy is better than fast. (I keep telling myself that)

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

all the loop and release do is give you a anchor point.if your release is long and your dloop is long it will mess with your anchor point.it does not affect your draw length.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
    all the loop and release do is give you a anchor point.if your release is long and your dloop is long it will mess with your anchor point.it does not affect your draw length.
    When I draw a bow back I anchor the crook between my thumb and index finger at the back corner of my jaw bone. When I shoot my longbow or recurve I can put the tip of my index finger at the corner of my mouth with the bow string at the first knuckle of my fingers.

When I draw back my compound bows I anchor at the same place, but my hand will be out with the trigger of my release by the first knucle of my index finger. The string is running through the jaws of my release, which are approximately 1.5" in front of the trigger.

When I measure my D-Loop that is tied just big enough so that my release jaws will easily clip to it with clearance from the knock of the arrow, it measures approximately .75".

AMO Draw Length is measured from the string at full draw to the front of the throat of the bow, +1.75". (the front of a bow is the side of the bow facing you)

I know I loose draw length.

Sonny Thomas

Default Draw length

I get into this every time I turn around. A proper solid repeatable anchor is paramount - it's there or it's not, plain and simple. There is no moving your anchor point to adjust for that of the bow's draw length or that which effects the bow's draw length - release, loop or whatever.

A proper anchor point is the same as your draw length is your draw length. Your release and loop in place your adjust the bow's draw length to fit you. The specific draw mod setting is not accurate by any means. Set the bow to 28" mod setting and the actual measured draw length may check 29 1/2".

I would example my Martin Shadowcat. The mods are set to 27" and the strings are twisted greatly to get a measured 28 1/4". My Pearson is similiar, but 27 1/2" mods and slight twisting of the strings to get the same 28 1/4".

How finicky can setting draw length be? I can feel 1/8 to 1/4" as soon as I come to full draw and anchor. Just recently I changed my loop on my Pearson. I have loops made up, all check the same length, but this length of install loop seemed long and got longer within a few shots. Once it held I ended up just snipping off the melted ball and forming a new ball. Presto. I would guess 1/8" or tad bit more was shortened from the loop. I was back in business and headed for Presley's First Annual Indoor 3D.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Draw length

Check this link out on Achery Talk with Nuts and Bolts about micro adjust draw length.
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1942715

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet fellas,
    thanks groups, couple questions, anchor points .. ( I am a righty) left hand on bow is anchor 1, anchor 2 is the string if shooting fingers or release off string, or D loop correct?
    As it sits it's D/L is 26" with 2x modules, full draw with release on string ( wish i could get you a picture) my right index knuckle sits just below cheek bone and left is slightly bent at elbow .. so way to short.. if i add 2" advertized mod draw ( 4x) to 28" it should stretch me to straight bow arm and a little farther back on my face but not quite to earlobe with draw arm, D loop should get me back to earlobe with draw arm and the cams should be right in the valley.. Does this sound correct to you
    thanks
    D.