Thread: large cutting diameter (fixed blade) vs. vanes - g5 striker (magnum)

Post Thanks / Like

Default large cutting diameter (fixed blade) vs. vanes - g5 striker (magnum)

i guess the striker magnum will not fly like a field point, but does the larger cutting diameter implicate larger/ higher vanes as well??

i thought of trying the striker with its 1,5'' cutting diameter, but im using mini blazers (1,5'' length; profile height of .49") and the head would be much higher than the vanes. could this negatively affect arrow flight?

Post Thanks / Like

Usually, yes. Larger heads usually like larger fletchings. One of the deciding factors is how well your bow is tuned. I've shot 1 1/4" broadheads with small Duravane 3D vanes before, and had good success. Other times, I've had to go with Blazers to get 1 1/8th" broadheads to fly well. That's my standard setup. 1 1/8th cut broadhead, 2" Blazers or Predator vanes. That always seems to work very well for me. You may not have to go with higher vanes, but rather longer vanes. That'll give you more surface area on your vanes, and that really helps.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to put some 125grn Phantoms on a Easton Axis 340 with 4" Truflight shieldcut feathers. Hopeing for a Tule Elk doe tag. I expect some good results.

Post Thanks / Like

the phantom has only 1 1/8 cutting diameter, so i guess this should work very well!!

i must say, im very fascinated by the striker magnum, its a close range head though..

maybe i will try 4'' shield vanes with silver flames, they are sharp!!! -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66PBfqYy_IY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob cooly View Post
    I am going to put some 125grn Phantoms on a Easton Axis 340 with 4" Truflight shieldcut feathers. Hopeing for a Tule Elk doe tag. I expect some good results.
    Good luck on that draw, hope you get your tag. Where in California are you located? Before moving up here to Oregon, I lived in Mendocino county, which is blessed with two elk species, Tule and Roosevelt, the year I moved up here, Calif. opened Mendocino county for elk hunts, 4 Tule and 4 Roosevelts, another great spot would be the Lake Pillsbury hunt for Tule. That is probably the easiest hunt, low entry numbers, and lots of Elk. Again, Good luck Bob! Oh yeah, the lady elk are called cows!
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Eslayer; cows yea I got it. Somewhere in the Owens Valley between Lone Pine and Bishop. My buddy took a herd bull a few years back with a muzzleloader. There's a 90% sucess rate for gun hunters there. Tags are limited, but if you talk to the ranchers they hate the Elk as they are very hard on fences. I only pull 60 lbs max so I wanted something that would penetrate. You know these are not huge animals but Craigs bull took 4 hits from a 50 cal. all in the boiler room before it tipped over. Certain animals just refuse to admit their dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob cooly View Post
    Eslayer; cows yea I got it. Somewhere in the Owens Valley between Lone Pine and Bishop. My buddy took a herd bull a few years back with a muzzleloader. There's a 90% sucess rate for gun hunters there. Tags are limited, but if you talk to the ranchers they hate the Elk as they are very hard on fences. I only pull 60 lbs max so I wanted something that would penetrate. You know these are not huge animals but Craigs bull took 4 hits from a 50 cal. all in the boiler room before it tipped over. Certain animals just refuse to admit their dead.
    Sure sounds like an elk! But your 60 #er will do the job for you! Good luck! My uncle Harold was the head ranger at Bishop thru the 60's and 70's. Yep, elk are tough on fences, no need to jump over it if you can push through it!
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Other times, I've had to go with Blazers to get 1 1/8th" broadheads to fly well.
    what do you think about the arizona max hunting vanes?? they look pretty much like the 2" blazers, only with 2.2"?!

Sonny Thomas

Default large cutting diameter (fixed blade) vs. vanes - g5 striker (magnum)

Actually, the Mini Blazer is recommended for 3D. Bow tuned and fixed heads should fly pretty descent, but then all fixed broadheads are not created equal.

I have tried the 2.2 Arizona vane and it did just fine...with field points, so I see no reason why it shouldn't work for fixed bhs. I'd fletch it no more than 3 degrees. Bow tuned well and there is no need for full helical (most 2" hunting vanes aren't recommended for more than 3 degrees - Bohning states so and the instructions (diagram) for NAP's Twisters show max of 3 degrees.

My old 2000 Hoyt MagnaTec is tuned, I guess. I've slapped just about every fixed broad on my arrow and have stayed on target out to 40 yards, 100 grs to 123 grs.
    Thought about retiring the ole Hoyt, even bought a new bow to replace it back in 2009, a Pearson TX4. The TX proved darned fast, but then I never even set it up accept to test for speed - just hangs on the rack. Lazy me or the MagnaTec is good enough.

Post Thanks / Like

i got me some 4" parabol vanes and fletched them just a slight helical, i hope this will work well with the bhs AND 3d!

btw, i have clearance problems with 2" balzers, i tried them in the shop and the blazers had contact with the cables of my bengal!!?