Thread: paranoia

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default paranoia

hey guys, i dont want to bug you with my idler wheel, but i repaired my bow with the spacers (thread "damaged idler wheel - repairs") and now i dont dare to draw my bow, maybe im a bit paranoid but im afraid the bow will blow up or something when im at full draw...

i guess i will just have to shoot the bow to find out if theres something wrong with it, but i have one last question: is it normal for a single cam bow, that the string runs not exactly even/ straight through the idler wheel on both sides of it (frontal/ archers' view; target view)?? i couldnt get this on camera, so i tried to draw this...

Idler Wheel.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

yes sir i believe it is...dont be stand offish,get on out there and shoot that thing and see if all your work paid off.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks!!

it worked, everything seems to be fine.. thanks!
    Last edited by Lukeiio; 02-01-2013 at 09:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

It's quite common, necessary if you will, for the cable to come off at an angle on the back side. The string has to pass through the cable slide which is off center.. On the side facing the archer it should come off the idler wheel straight, usually at full draw. This is neccessary to reduce lateral nock travel.

I saw your other thread but the pictures were too blurry for me to discern what you were trying to discribe. Sorry. Next time try backing off a little with the camera. You were closer than your camera would properly focus. Resize the pics to about 1/4 their original size.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Sonny Thomas

Default paranoia

First up, your parania has been shared by many of us. Try a bow blowing right in your face when working on it. Ain't a happy experience, nor is having one blow up at full draw. Okay, been there, done that.... If really scared, back off the limb bolts to a lesser draw weight, makes thing easier to handle should a problem arise. About 99% of time it's just nerves and not a bow failing.

I am a little confused of why a 2011 idler and 2012 bow, I believe that is what I read in your other Post. Still, properly shimmed the idler should be centered between the limb tangs.

I didn't see where you noted the model of the bow...

I am unsure of the placement of the guide rod. Center of riser or in a slot that runs across the side of the riser?

If the guide rod is in the center of the riser; It appears you have what is called "cam lean" though a idler wheel. Sort of a simple check and fix for a Martin bow, no press needed. Lay a arrow shaft across the idler face running parallel to the bow string. Check each side of the idler. Wheel leaning, the arrow will try to cross the string instead of running parallel to it. Simple fix in most all cases is twisting up one side of the yoke and untwisting the opposite side of the yoke. Fine tuning the yoke may only take 1/2 twist or untwist. And it's not unusual to have add or subtract more from one side or the other of the yoke. Of course, being a Martin bow you can back off the limb bolts and have enough looseness the twist and untwist the yoke ends.

Try this and get back with us. bfisher and several others in here can help if this is the lean problem you have.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a little confused of why a 2011 idler and 2012 bow, I believe that is what I read in your other Post. Still, properly shimmed the idler should be centered between the limb tangs.
    i had to replace my idler wheel because i dropped my bow and the wheel was damaged. martin parts are hard to get in austria, i found a shop in germany who had martin ilder wheels but only 2011 models and my bow is a 2012 bengal. the guys from the shop said that it would be compatible with a 2012 bengal. when i finally got the wheel and installed it, i noticed that there was still some space between the limbs and the wheel and the metal spacers from the old wheel werent enough to close that space. so i used the plastic spacers the shop sent me with the wheel.

i kind of improvised the whole time, this is one of the reasons i was scared and im still not sure if everything is alright with my bow. besides i dont know if anything else but the wheel was damaged when i dropped the bow..

On the side facing the archer it should come off the idler wheel straight, usually at full draw
    the string comes off the idler wheel like in my drawing -> not straight! it appears to be not straight at full draw as well
    i pressed the bow completely and removed the upper limb, it seems to be normal and straight and not damaged.

It appears you have what is called "cam lean" though a idler wheel.
    eureka! i believe this could be the problem!! i found an older thread here in the forum and my wheel looks exactly like this!!
    (http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/...-Bengal-issues!)

thank you all very much, i will try to fix this lean problem asap!!!