Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody go shed hunting?

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Anybody go shed hunting?

Anybody go shed hunting? and how do you go about it?

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

You walk around the woods looking for sheds ?
    2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

The ones with dual doors are dangerous. This one time I was able to sneak up to one at Lowes when the doors swung open and nearly took my hand off.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    You walk around the woods looking for sheds ?
    Quote Originally Posted by typically8 View Post
    The ones with dual doors are dangerous. This one time I was able to sneak up to one at Lowes when the doors swung open and nearly took my hand off.
    Wise Guys
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I'm more into garage hunting than shed hunting. J/k I do shed hunt when I scout for turkey spots. I usually start in late Feb. or early March. The best places I have found for sheds is along fences, creeks, etc. Any place that deer are likely to jump over an obstacle, or have a steep climb or descent. The jolting action will make them drop antlers. Most commonly I'll find sheds within 10 yards either side of said fence/creek. I know of some people that put up 5 gallon buckets of corn, with wire bundles above them to grab the antlers as the deer eat. Me, that's too much work for sheds. lol However, sheds are a GREAT way to find out what deer survived the hunting season in your area. I've found several sheds for deer I didn't even know were in my hunting area. Secondly, I'll follow deer trails to find sheds. Usually find more in the thicker brush than along field edges, but they can drop anywhere. I've found a few sets over the years that just made me wonder what the deer were doing out in the wide open. Found a 170 class full shed out in the middle of a pasture. It was from a deer I had never seen, and never saw. If you do find a single antler, keep looking in that area, as you'll usually find the other half within 40-50 yards. I always do a circular sweep when I find one nice side.
    Last edited by Ehunter; 02-04-2013 at 04:17 PM.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous C
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

After Dad started this thread I was just waiting for the above responses. LOL

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ok serious time. Only been out past few seasons to look and found 2 in my first trip. Didn't manage to find any last year. One was a complete luck of the draw, sitting next to a tree on an old beaten path. Small shed and rodents had gotten to it, so I expect it was maybe a year old. The other I found wasn't too far off a fence and that is where I have focused in the past seasons. Like mentioned above, any where they have to cross or jump is a good place to look. I also have been told to check east and south facing slopes, primary sunning/bedding spots during the winter. Start at the bedding areas if you know where they are and follow the trails they use to get to the food. That is my plan for my next trip, hopefully this coming weekend.
    2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff

Sonny Thomas

Default Anybody go shed hunting?

Nope, Hutch. Must be getting old or lazy. Ain't had the steam to make my wife go out looking. (I can type this cause she ain't looking )

Post Thanks / Like

Hutch Ck Home-Depot. Got one last week for my riding lawnmower, on sale too!
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

Wear full camo with face paint, use shed calls.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade