Thread: Used Alien Nemsis at local shop

Post Thanks / Like

Default Used Alien Nemsis at local shop

Hey guys, I was at my local shop the other day and found that they had a Rytera Alien Nemesis on the used shelf. Bottom line is... I saw it... thought it was soooo unique and had to shoot it. Mostly had to shoot it cuz I have a buddy that wants to get into archery and thought it was a good bow for him. Well.... now I want one! This bow shot soooo smooth, but the workers there had no clue what they really had there. They only sell some bottom of the line Martins and don't work with Martin/Rytera much. We asked him what he thought of the bow and here was the response I got from the employee.

Me: "what year is this bow?" HIM: "I am not sure exactly" (can someone tell me how I can tell the year off hand?)

Me" "what do you think of this bow?" HIM: "Its made by Martin, I think Martin has been around for a few years now, but I heard they sold out so I don't know much else about them" (60+ years is a little while I guess?_

He then went on to tell me that the guy traded it in on a new Hoyt, and also that this bow is kind of noisy compared to the other bows they shoot. I looked at the bow, and it was set up like ****. They tossed a whisker biscuit on which had so much arrow deflection that the arrows were cocked to the right by about 4" when shot in there 12 yard indoor range. The draw stops were also set up to where it felt like maybe 70% let off? It looked like they had those stops backed off a good fourth of the way on the cams, maybe to dial in the draw length of 28.5"? It still felt good, even though it didn't quite feel like the set up was right.

He was trying to give my buddy pointers on it. My friend is 6'4'' with arms like an ape and he told him the bow fit him perfect. I am thinkin 28.5 is way short for him, and the bow appeared to be about 1 1/4'' from the string touching his nose with good form. He could barely get his release to an anchor point. He kept talking up their new bows this whole time, and it was really frustrating, because I am somewhat anti-"big 3"

Bottom line is.... this shot just really was pushing us to by a new Matthews, Hoyt, or Bowtech, and really didn't want to sell a $400 Martin to us.
    2012 Rytera Nemesis in vista camo
    equipment list
    • Strings by BOW STRING DEPOT (Formerly hutch n sons archery)
    • octane stabilizer
    • 3/16 meta peep
    • HHA ol5519 sight
    • QAD ultrarest HDX in realtree ap
    • fuse 3 arrow quiver
    • saunders hyperglide cable slide

Post Thanks / Like

You can tell by the marks stamped on the limbs!

Post Thanks / Like

on the bottom limb is a sticker.in that sticker you will see a bow#.the first 2 digets are the year.

example:
    bow# 110684.the bow is a 2011.

i guess being around 60+ years is just getting into the archery thing.lol

Post Thanks / Like

I have a shop like that up here, you walk in and ask about Martin and they try to push you towards a Mathews or an Alpine. I heard they actually dropped their Martin lineup this year. What idiots. I stopped going there, even though it is a nice shop because of the high pressure from the owners.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Just FYI with your friend being that tall I would think his draw length would be around 30" to 31", depending on his arm length. That said the Nemisis will top out at 30" with 2.0 cams. You could probably twist the cables and untwist the string to fudge it a bit, but the bow might draw long to start with. Also, with that long of a draw the string angle at full draw is going to be pretty acute so don't take for granted that hos nose will touch the string. It can be done, but usually means that his anchor would be so high that long sight settings would be virtually impossible. Also with the string angle I would suggest a peep sight such as Specialty Super Peep with a 37 degree angle.

Oh yeh, another thing. Find a different shop. LOL.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver