Thread: 2012 ONZA3 Peep Twist

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2012 ONZA3 Peep Twist

I recently received a new 2012 Onza3 and I am in the process of setting it up. Although I have shot bows for many years I am fairly new to set-up and tuning. I want to eventually do all of my own work. On my Onza, the peep makes a 1/2 turn to the right as the bow is drawn. At rest it sits so you can see through the peep. How do I fix this? Thanks for any and all guidance.
    2012 MartinOnza3, 58@28.5, 2008 Hoyt Katera XL, 52@28.5, Martin Savannah, 54@28.5, Howard Hill Cheetah, 53@28.5, Maryland Bowhunters Society, Traditional Bowhunters of MD, Mayberry Archers

Post Thanks / Like

If the string has settled, you can take a 1/2 twist out of the string. Back off the limb bolts ( couple turns top, couple turns bottom ) until you can see light through the barrel nut in the riser. At this point, the string will be slack enough to remove, untwist 1/2 turn, put string back onto cam and retighten limb bolts ( same pattern ) until you are were you began. Your string should be a 1/2 turn short of lining up but will be in place once you come to full draw.
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 02-06-2013 at 08:51 AM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Elkslayer is right, that is the quickest way to get the peep oriented. If you want you can also swap strings. The peep doesn't need to be split between one color or the other, you can "rotate" your strings around the peep to make it do what you want, as long as they are evenly split. In your case, I believe you would take one string from the back of the left side and move it to the right, and one from the front of the right side and move it left. If that doesn't do the trick, repeat until it does, if it rotated the wrong way, do the opposite.

If don't feel comfortable with those options, you can "train" your peep by nocking an arrow then twisting your peep before you draw. If its still not where you want it, you can use the corner of you mouth to move it a little bit at full draw. Do this every time and it will eventually "remember".

You can also cheat a little bit by twisting the d loop in the opposite direction of the peep rotation so that when you draw it will automatically pull it into line.

As you can see there are lots of ways to keep your peep in line. Find one that works for you and you'll be golden!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!
    2012 MartinOnza3, 58@28.5, 2008 Hoyt Katera XL, 52@28.5, Martin Savannah, 54@28.5, Howard Hill Cheetah, 53@28.5, Maryland Bowhunters Society, Traditional Bowhunters of MD, Mayberry Archers

Post Thanks / Like

One other method not mentioned is, if you have good tight serving above and below the peep, you can usually move the serving slightly up or down, to rotate the peep. Just look at how the string is twisted, left or right, and move a section of your peep serving up or down to rotate it. If the string is twisted like this " / ", moving the bottom serving upwards a bit will make the peep rotate right. Moving the top serving down, or the bottom serving down, will move the peep to the left. If it's twisted the other way " \ ", then do the opposite. Hope that makes sense. lol When "peep training" doesn't work, that's the method I use. I know some guys will move their string silencers like StringJax, String Leeches, etc. up and down in the string to make the peep rotate.
    Last edited by Ehunter; 02-06-2013 at 05:41 PM.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Sonny Thomas

Default 2012 ONZA3 Peep Twist

Make sure you twist the loop straight back after twisting the string. Doing this you only contend with the string, not the loop being a half turn out of position which will twist the string.