Thread: Smoothing out sharp cams and moduals on my nemesis?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smoothing out sharp cams and moduals on my nemesis?

Hey Fellas, Hello again and glad to be here! Hopefully at some point I will be knowledgeable to give others suggestions instead of always receiving. I noticed one of the posts talking about filing the moduals and cams smooth, as to protect the servings. Can you please explain how this is done? With a flat file, or something less aggressive like a fingernail file. I am assuming barley just touch up the corners.
    Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what most use, but I'd opt for a nail file/emery board or start with finer grit sand papers. I have 300-600 that I have touched up my XT module with. Still need to go back to it at some point and touch it up a little more, I know it has a slight ridge on it, but I didn't want to mess with anything after the season started. Now that it is over, it is tinker time.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

That makes sense, start with something less aggressive. Can always sand a little more, but kind of hard to put back! Do you plan on touching up the paint afterwards or not?

Post Thanks / Like

The XT module is anodized aluminum. It's on the inside of the mod, so I'm not overly concerned about it.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

i used sandpaper, started with 800 sandpapers and smooth it with 1500, and its gives u a very shinny edge, but end of the day, u still need a black sharpie pen to black it out. and it works well for all my bow.
    2014 Alien Nitro , Sureloc Challenger + Viper Scope, Trophy Ridge Revolution, Easton Carbon One 500, Doinker Elite Supreme, Carter 2 Special.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the info!
    SHARPIE, wow. Why didn't I think of that. Sometimes I overthink things instead of keeping it simple and functional.
    And thank you for the advice on the rest, I will check one out.

Post Thanks / Like

I started with an "aggressive" tool, a metal file. I didn't just "barely touch the corners" but I really filed the edges round close to the seam of the transition from the cam to the module. During this phase, the module was attached to a bench vice, between two pieces of wood. Moving farther away the module groove, I gradually filed less aggressively so that perhaps after 1,5 inch or so, I just barely touched the corners with a sandpaper for the rest of the groove. And I also finished the filed section with a sandpaper. I haven't done any paintwork since I didn't consider it necessary. Of course, it is a hunting bow and with a bad luck, you could get an instantaneous, revealing sun reflection from the bare metal...

Although recommended by some, I have found no reason to do anything for the cams, but only for the modules.

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003