Thread: Onza creak

Post Thanks / Like

Default Onza creak

My new Onza makes a little creak noise on the first draw, then is silent the rest of the time. When you pick it up after a few hours and draw for the first shot it will creak again and then silent the rest of the shoot. Does anybody know the cause and how to stop it? The noise is very little, but it needs to be taken out.

Post Thanks / Like

Top or Bottom?

ITS the roto cup. i used to have that issues with my Nemesis.
    The last few month, while i trying different limb set, i also have this problem. Lub the roto cup.

Make sure give it a good cleaning, and lub the bottom part of the Roto cup that contact the riser, and also the part where contact with the limb.

Once done, im sure u are good to go.....
    2014 Alien Nitro , Sureloc Challenger + Viper Scope, Trophy Ridge Revolution, Easton Carbon One 500, Doinker Elite Supreme, Carter 2 Special.

Post Thanks / Like

I eliminated such sound from my old Martin Phantom II by putting lithium grease to the limb pocket (unfortunately, you need to disassemble the bow to do that. Some people have had succes with gun oil or similar, without needing to disassemble). By the way, similar trouble is very common with Hoyt bows.

No problem so far with my Onza or Nemesis. Well, Onza made some sound in cold weather (5 fahrenheit/-15 Celcius degrees or so). It was only during one single hunt, it hasn't repeated since. At all other times, the bow has been completely silent when drawing.

Anyway, it's good to have a friend listen first that the sound actually comes from the Roto cup. It's hard to say when you are drawing the bow yourself.

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003

Post Thanks / Like

Had a creak on my Fire Cat 400 when I first received it, it drove me crazy. Lubes the Roto cup nothing, changed drop nothing. The dealer said it's the top Cam. Put new cams on and Walla no noise. Start at the Roto cup and move from that point.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

Then again, if the bow is new, it shouldn't be your problem. It's a hunting bow where such noise cannot be tolerated => warranty issue!

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003

Post Thanks / Like

Default Onza creak

How hard is it to disassemble? There is not a Martin dealer close to me. I do know of a real good bow tech but does not deal Martin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gusto2525 View Post
    How hard is it to disassemble? There is not a Martin dealer close to me. I do know of a real good bow tech but does not deal Martin.
    Take it to a Martin dealer or send it back. Call Joel at Martin CS. It not hard to take down, you have to back out the limb bolt almost all the way and you should be able to get a cable off and get to the Roto cup 1st. Ck any grinding in the cams. I had a bad bearing.
    Last edited by Tosi; 02-08-2013 at 09:43 AM.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator