Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Centreshot?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Centreshot?

    I've been using my Martin Saber takedown for over a month now, but only yesterday did i switch from three under too split finger shooting. I find i get a better release and can group my arrows much more now. But, my groupings are hitting to the right of the target consistently.

    Now i dont know how i never realised this before but my bow is not cut to centreshot, meaning if i nock the arrow on the string and line my eye down - it is pointing quite a way to the right. I am thinking this is why the arrow is hitting right of target. But i dont understand why i havent had this problem while shooting three under. Maybe because i am using a slightly different anchor point now?

    My question to you is, has anyone else had this problem and what can be done to sort it? I am using just a plain stick on arrow rest and shooting instinctive. Could i use something to put under the rest to make the arrow line up towards centre more?

    Something else to note is i did some bare-shaft tuning a couple weeks ago and found that my arrows were hitting right of the target. At the time i thought they were too stiff but i'm thinking what i've said above is the problem.

  2. #2
    Senior Member elkslayer4x5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lane County, Oregon
    Posts
    2,752
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePecha View Post
    I've been using my Martin Saber takedown for over a month now, but only yesterday did i switch from three under too split finger shooting. I find i get a better release and can group my arrows much more now. But, my groupings are hitting to the right of the target consistently.

    Now i dont know how i never realised this before but my bow is not cut to centreshot, meaning if i nock the arrow on the string and line my eye down - it is pointing quite a way to the right. I am thinking this is why the arrow is hitting right of target. But i dont understand why i havent had this problem while shooting three under. Maybe because i am using a slightly different anchor point now?
    My question to you is, has anyone else had this problem and what can be done to sort it? I am using just a plain stick on arrow rest and shooting instinctive. Could i use something to put under the rest to make the arrow line up towards centre more?

    Something else to note is i did some bare-shaft tuning a couple weeks ago and found that my arrows were hitting right of the target. At the time i thought they were too stiff but i'm thinking what i've said above is the problem.
    How long have you been shooting? Is this your first bow?, I ask because, otherwise how would you know that your arrows where hitting to the right. I'm quessing that this is'nt your first bow, so your arrows are hitting to the right. Shooting instintive, while you where shooting three under, you just made the adjustment and aimed left to bring the aroow onto the target, and with the arrow closer to your eye, you had an aiming point, and when you switched to split fingers, you no longer have the arrow as close to your eye. If your arrows are the correct spine, you're hitting to the right because you've changed your anchor point and things now look differnt.
    Before you place anything under the rest, dertermine if your arrows are the correct spine for your bow.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    1,866
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Check out a great site for tuning.

    http://bowmaker.net/tuning.htm

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Double S View Post
    Check out a great site for tuning.

    http://bowmaker.net/tuning.htm
    Thanks for the link, will check it out after work

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    How long have you been shooting? Is this your first bow?, I ask because, otherwise how would you know that your arrows where hitting to the right. I'm quessing that this is'nt your first bow, so your arrows are hitting to the right. Shooting instintive, while you where shooting three under, you just made the adjustment and aimed left to bring the aroow onto the target, and with the arrow closer to your eye, you had an aiming point, and when you switched to split fingers, you no longer have the arrow as close to your eye. If your arrows are the correct spine, you're hitting to the right because you've changed your anchor point and things now look differnt.
    Before you place anything under the rest, dertermine if your arrows are the correct spine for your bow.
    No this is my first bow. Well when i noticed my arrows were hitting right, thats when i eyed down the arrow to see where it was pointing - and it was pointing to the right quite a bit. So if i was to aim to the left of the target, and eye the arrow then release - i was hitting where i wanted it to hit.

    I'm not sure what spine my arrows are but they are too stiff if anything. They are Armex aluminium target arrows. I bought them before i knew anything about having the right arrow for the bow and i cant find any info on the internet about their spine.

    When i shoot next i will have a play about annd see if my mind can adjust again, but if not - i will just move the rest to centre i think.

  6. #6
    Member DeepRiverBowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    67
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    For a right-handed archer shooting a shaft too stiff usually makes the arrow go to the left. If you feel your shafts might be too stiff for your weight and they are still going right, I would think it's your center shot that needs adjusted. As suggested, try building the side plate up a bit to get the arrow lined up slightly left of the string (right hand shooter). Paper tuning may also tell you if it is a tuning issue or your new anchor.

    mike

  7. #7
    Senior Member WildWilt15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    livingston county michigan
    Posts
    540
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The saber is a compound riser made to have a bolted on arrow rest, I'm guessing your trying to shoot off the shelf with an adhesive rest I recommend getting a whisker biscuit or a flipper rest. The riser is cut well past center to have the capability of an arrow rest.
    Martin x-200 unsure of year
    2011 Mathews z7magnum
    2012 Mathews z7magnum
    2014 Mathews ChillR (on order)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •