Thread: Need help with my new Blade X4

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need help with my new Blade X4

Hey guys,
    Ive been looking at making the jump to Martin archery for quite a while now, probably 5-6 years. I have spent a lot of time here and on AT reading topics pertaining to martin and also researched all the reviews I could find and tried to handle Martin bows when I seen them at the shops.
    I have not been able to do any shooting in the last few years, because of work, kids, and several remodeling projects. But recently I decided I was going to start shooting and hunting again, NO MATTER WHAT. So I figured it would be a good time to make the switch to Martin (even though they are for sale). I just really like the feeling I get from martin and there history. They seem to have some really good products and customer service, along with good old family values. At least that's the impression I get.
    So, I bought a 2011 rytera nemesis (witch turned out to be a 2012.) online. Then I told the wife, figured its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Upon telling my wife about the new purchase, she commented something to the effect of "wye do you always get what you want, sure would be nice if I could get something to." ........ Ah ha, I seen my chance to buy another bow! So I found her a 2010 crossfire. This should be perfect for her, cuz she is pretty short and has short arms. I think she is going to be a 24.5 draw.
    Ok, so she seemed ok with everything and even a little bit excited. So I thought to my self, self this don't happen very often and your on a roll. SO I BOUGHT A BLADE X4 , for my daughter! Well I guess I made the jump to Martin!

Ok, now Im getting to the problem. My nemesis showed up a couple of day ago. I haven't done much with it yet, but seems really nice. Score 1 for Martin! The blade x4 shows up today. Upon first inspections it seems to be a nice little bow. Got a few finish issues, but ok. Looking at it further I notice the grip is messed up a little. One of the wood inlaid pieces, that have the writing on then, apparently did not fit right in the cutout and was not seated and glued down. Ok, not a problem, I will try to trim it a little and glue it down. So I set the draw and length as short as possible so the wife could give it a pull. Maybe still a little long, the crossfire should fit her perfect. She was happy holding the bow and was excited about it. So I thought I would try to tweek the bow a little more, throw a sight and rest on it, and see if I could have her sling a few arrows before dark!
    While setting it up I notice the minimum draw is about 1.5 inches longer than it should be, and ata is 1.5 inches long also. I am still trying to remain positive, eventhough all these little problems are starting to add up. I didn't pay for a used bow, I paid for a new 2013! ....So I continue on. Oh yeh, there was no manual in the box the bow came in, just the bow. Anyway, next problem. The sts needed adjusted in, its holding the string back. So I take out the two little set screws, and the rod will not budge at all. I fought this quite a while, wiggle, pull, pry, BEAT, VISE GRIPS AND ALL THE BEFORE MENTIONED AT THE SAME TIME. Finally I got it out. And its not carbon fiber like advertised, its aluminum. And I have it all scarred up and bent to heck by now By this time its dark, so guess the wifey wont be slinging any arrows tonight. After a hour of sanding and bending on the rod, and trying to sand out the hole in the riser, I seem to have it to where I can slide it in the hole. Still tight and binds alittle, but at least I can get it in. But I don't have the adjustment I need, still to tight against the string. So what do ya think, should I go ahead and cut a 1/4 inch or so off the end of it, then slide the bumper back on? Before I came in to eat supper and vent on the computer, I also noticed that the cables were setting way into the feathers on my arrow. The slide shaft seemed to be bent quite a bit to the left (toward arrow). Do ya think the rod is bent or is that for adjustment? Really not trying to bash Martin, but all these problems tonight have got me really upset. I know no bow is 100% perfect but, this bow seems to be a piece of junk. I thought the blade x4 would be a really sweet bow, but this one sure isn't. Should I have to pay for a NEW bow, and have something show up that has one thing after another wrong with it?
    Well hopefully with a little patience and some help from you guys, this bow still can turn out "ok"

I realize that I should have just made a list of things wrong and sent it to Joel. But after waiting for it in the mail, I wasn't to excited about putting it back in the mail. I figured I could fix a few little problems. But it seems a few problems turned into a bow that could not of had any QC what so ever. I sure hope my nemesis and crossfire don't give me all these problems!!!
    Any and all help will be greatly appriceated.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sad to hear

I would send it back........

That's really unacceptable!

joelc

Without seeing your bow in person I won't be able to answer all of your questions. Brace height and axle length will vary depending on cam/cable position. Although it reads as if the bow comes with a carbon fiber STS the descriptions in the catalog are referring to the rest of the gold series line-up. All advertising with the Blade clearly shows that it actually comes with an aluminum STS... admittedly the placement in the catalog is confusing. Your issues with draw length do not come from a bow that is built incorrectly...quite simply you do not have the cam adjusted properly. The info below should help with this adjustment.

Std Peg is 70# Max
    27” to 31”

-10# Peg is 60# Max
    26” to 30”

-20# Peg is 50# Max
    25” to 29”

String Track.jpg
    Last edited by joelc; 02-08-2013 at 09:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I will check the cam and cables later, but im pretty sure they are correct. All i changed was the cable position to-20, and backed the bow down 4turns from max. Im thinking getting ata close will be a good place to start. Can you tell me how? Do i put twist in the cable or string?.
    As for, the problem with the sts, can i cut alittle off the back of the rod and slide the bumper back on? I think this would give me the cleance and adjustability i need.
    And as for the inlay in the grip, if i can get it to fit down in the recess. What should i use glue or maybe alittle silicone?

Thank you for the help, and sorry to ramble on in origanal post. I was alittle upset. I realize every bow does not come out perfect.
    Thanks again.

joelc

Quote Originally Posted by nestickslinger View Post
    Thanks for the info. I will check the cam and cables later, but im pretty sure they are correct. All i changed was the cable position to-20, and backed the bow down 4turns from max. Im thinking getting ata close will be a good place to start. Can you tell me how? Do i put twist in the cable or string?.
    As for, the problem with the sts, can i cut alittle off the back of the rod and slide the bumper back on? I think this would give me the cleance and adjustability i need.
    And as for the inlay in the grip, if i can get it to fit down in the recess. What should i use glue or maybe alittle silicone?

Thank you for the help, and sorry to ramble on in origanal post. I was alittle upset. I realize every bow does not come out perfect.
    Thanks again.
    Honestly I wouldn't worry about the axle to axle and brace too much...but if you do want to adjust it you will want to add or remove twist from both string and cable. You would be fine to trim some off of the rod itself. I think we are using a quick set cement for the grip but in my opinion a silicone may be a better choice. I would say our glue choice has more to do with curing time than anything else...we simply don't have the room to lay out 1000 or more handles while waiting for it to cure. If you need any of those parts replaced just give me a call at 800-541-8902 and I'll hook you up. I'll be here today until noon, pacific time or 8am Monday morning if you need to reach me.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help! Im sure this will be a nice bow once i get the kinks worked out of it. The reason i wanted to get it in specks is because i would like to get this bow down to lowest posible draw lengh. Trying to get it to fit wife, and its very close. If i could get 25, i think i would have it.

Post Thanks / Like

Joel you're awesome! I'd like to add my .02 real quick...

First off, if I haven't told you already, welcome to the forum! And to the Martin family. Looks like you jumped in with both feet lol!

Secondly, I've played with a couple of the bows with the Fury cam, and they are a lot of fun. The Blade should be great when you get it all set up. One thing, from my experience, is that if you're gonna worry about your bow specs, get them correct with the bow maxed out, cable on the first peg, limbs tightened all the way down. The Blade should shake out at that point, close to 31.5" ATA and 7" Brace. When you make the jump to the -20 peg, the ATA will get longer, the brace will get shorter, and the draw length will get shorter, this is normal.

Thirdly, the Blade doesn't come with the carbon sts unless you order it that way, the standard sts has the crook in the arm so you can center it, and if you have to shorten it, no worries, we had to do it on my buddy's Prowler when we dropped to the -20 peg as well.

As for the rod guide being bent, I'd have to see a pic. Perhaps you need to index your arrows differently (rotate the nock) to avoid contact?

Hope that helps, I think its great you're getting the whole family involved.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help guys, sure is nice knowing there are other archers here willing to help out. Hopefully I can return the favor someday.
    I got the sts rod cut down to fit, and sanded it up a little more. Went ahead and installed it, I will take it apart and paint it another day.
    Got bow set up with a few extras I had laying around. And let the wife shot half a dozen arrows tonight before dark. She really liked it. And seemed to do ok .
    I bought a few things for the nemesis today at cabelas. I couldn't decide on a rest, so I got a qad hunter rest for now.( Like the trophy revolution, but like to shot longer vanes). From the sights they had, I really liked the true glow carbon xs for the price. A bear claw quiver, peep, and some d-loops. They didn't have much for stabalizers, so that can wait.
    I will try and get some pics when I get everything set up. Still waiting on the crossfire to show up, maybe it will be here by next wed..

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I'd say that you're a Martin family for sure! By now I'm sure that you've noticed that this site is very helpfull, lots of very knowledgable folks here, and no one with an axe to grind! Welcome to the site, glad that you joined us here.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade