Thread: Change in the arrow grain

Post Thanks / Like

Default Change in the arrow grain

I'm out visiting my Dad for a week and I stopped by the local Hunting shop here and picked up some Harvest Time HT-2 arrows for a fantastic price! Now...they are also 29" but 350gr with 100gr tips and I have been shooting 400s with 100 tips (bow specs below).
    Just wondering what I can expect with these new arrows with the 50gr difference once I'm back home? Should I move to a 125 gr tip? Bow adjustments?...etc

thanks!
    People keep telling me I have ADD, but they just don't underst.....SQUIRREL!

2013 Martin 60# (@44lb) Bengal Pro-Skulz!
    FletcherThumb Release, GT Velocity XT 400gr
    Ripcord rest, HHA XL5519

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 different size beman's and 2 different size maxima's and got good paper tears out of both. Both fly good. I do however shoot the stiffer spines most of the time as I am incing my bow weight up.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

Sonny Thomas

Default Change in the arrow grain

Okay. Give a try here. First, Harvest Time was bought by Muddy Outdoors. Muddy Outdoors continued with the HT line until just recently, going with their line of BloodSport. You can contact Jared Mills to get specs - jmills@gomuddy.com Muddy was to have a new arrow chart, hopefully. Sorry about the size of the HT chart. The trouble with the chart is it has no point weight. Guessing as you didn't mention your normal arrow length; You could be a couple spines off. 600s maybe and 500 for sure.

Now, did you mean 350 spine instead of grains? I mean, you have "400s." If you meant 350 grs and they are 400 spine, cutting to your length could get you closer. And then what, insert and point or glue-in points. Unsure of the HT2 inserts, but I have the HT3s and HT3 inserts are heavy - as in capitol letters heavy, 47 grs.

At 44 pounds your arrows are too stiff, but too stiff is better than too weak. Going to a 125 gr points will help, but then you lose velocity.

My 400s are perhaps a bit stiff with 80 gr points with bow set to 56 pounds and 28 1/4" draw, but seem darned accurate. However, they seem better or more forgiving with insert (47 grs) and 85 gr field point. I did a test of my HT3 400 spine arrow and pushed it 111 grs heavier of point and could find no flaw as it just plain shot accurately with all weights of my test. That I had accuracy and wanted speed to stay somewhat in the ASA speed limit I stayed with the glue-in 80 gr points.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sonny Thomas; 02-08-2013 at 08:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ill share my experience with stiff arrows. When talking compounds i feel you can't really be to stiff so to speak, Im currently shooting a goldtip x cutter with a .250 spine out of a 56 pound bow the arrows are cut to 27 inches which makes them even stiffer and have been having great results and ease of tuning. Now if your talking recurves where the archers paradox comes into play the stiffness of your arrow is of the up most importance when tuning a bow. However as long as your rest is set on center your arrows should be good.
    Martin x-200 unsure of year
    2011 Mathews z7magnum
    2012 Mathews z7magnum
    2014 Mathews ChillR (on order)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WildWilt15 View Post
    Ill share my experience with stiff arrows. When talking compounds i feel you can't really be to stiff so to speak, Im currently shooting a goldtip x cutter with a .250 spine out of a 56 pound bow the arrows are cut to 27 inches which makes them even stiffer and have been having great results and ease of tuning. Now if your talking recurves where the archers paradox comes into play the stiffness of your arrow is of the up most importance when tuning a bow. However as long as your rest is set on center your arrows should be good.
    I concur with WW. I would shoot both on a paper tune with Filled Tips and then Broadheads to see and record the differences. From that point you will need to adjust to your liking by moving your rest and or trim arrow shaft and or increase weight on tip. If you increase tip weight you can go with 125g tip are go with and insert that weights more. I like the heavier insert. From this point you will have to re-sight to include pins most likely.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info.
    Correction...the arrow's 'spine' is 350, not grain, can't find the gr per inch info...had to reread my post. Both the GTs and these new HTs are cut to 29" with 100 gr field points in them. There is a chart on the box which is the same, I saw that I was off by 50 but at the price I thought I could make em work.
    People keep telling me I have ADD, but they just don't underst.....SQUIRREL!

2013 Martin 60# (@44lb) Bengal Pro-Skulz!
    FletcherThumb Release, GT Velocity XT 400gr
    Ripcord rest, HHA XL5519

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

i have spoke with go muddy mark beck we been talk about HT1 he told me ooutaert is about 45 grain and I'm thinkig of shoot HT! in short range hunting up to 30 yd from ground blind with my new phantom x4 but i think maybe lose few speed i dont know but if i do i would shopt a 350 spine which is 10,2 gpi