Thread: Vane by any name

Threaded View

Sonny Thomas

Default Vane by any name

No one likes Bohning vanes better than I and I buy them by the hundreds. I think I have tried all their present vanes except the Micro Mini and 5 inches. I have also tried NAP Twisters and the 2 and their 4 inch Quick Spins. I use to buy AAE vanes by the hundreds. I tried a few Norways, R2, Predator and Duravane. I tried VanTec, Easton and a couple of others. I test things and to the tune of several hundred times. All the vanes I tried performed and only two I just did not like. The disliked was the Norway Predator and the NAP 4" Quick Spin. All vanes did as they were intend to do, guide the arrow. Most all were fletched as per instructions (except for glue) and some exceeded instructions. Accuracy never suffered. Speed may have been effected, but if you're sighted in it really doesn't matter, now does it?

Virtually all today's hyped 2 inch vanes are said not to exceed 2 to 3 degrees of offset, Blazers, Twisters and the such. It is not that exceeding 2 or 3 degrees effects accuracy, but can effect down range speed. How far down range? I don't know as I'm setting my Chronograph down range 60 or 80 yards to find out. But for normal to perhap a bit beyond huntings distances you won't see enough to worry about. The average killing distance for whitetails remains 19 yards. Today's bows, hyped as they are, you would think the average distance would be extended. And today's bows and information now available to aid hunters puts a combination together so that clean 40 yards shots are a real possibility.

Accuracy. Every vane I tested was tested between 20 and 30 yards. A few were tested beyond this, out to 80 yards. Not one failed. My opinion; Proper bow set up and correct arrow and build has more to do with accuracy than vanes. My proof; Rip one vane off the arrow and still hit the X ring at 20 yards. Other proof; NAP technician; We have produced 2 inch groups at 60 yards with only the fletching area of the arrow weighted with tape.
    Removing one vane. Friend of mine was practicing in the shop's indoor range. As I watched a vane fell off the arrow went other than intended. He remarked it was because the vane came off. I retrieve his arrow and had him shoot it again. And again the arrow went wayward. I then ripped a Mini Blazer off my arrow and fired, drilling the X ring. I did this 3 times back to back. I took one of mine test arrows fletched with a NAP 2" Twister, ripped one vane off and promptly drilled the X ring, twice. I tuned his bow. He was quite happy with the results.....

Noise. All passed but the one above disliked, the Predator. It gave a unliked noisy flutter sound. The NAP 4" Quick Spin; For my testing for the past two years, the 4" NAP Quick Spin gets failing marks. I won't use them again for hunting. My opinion; Deer jump vane noise than they jump the string and I had deer do that more with the Quick Spin more than any vane I've ever used for hunting.
    All other vanes produced some noise, some less, some more, but all about equal. Here, I fired from 50 yards and had a friend stand down range and is a safe spot 20 yards before the target. He heard every arrow before it hit the target and this regardless of vane.

My opinion; No vane gave outstanding qualities as for visual aid in finding if lost in the grass. Most all arrows recovered were found using a rake, hooked rod, metal detector or pure luck. Bright orange gave the best visual aid in flight. White came in second.

Pics; Green Twisters, one vane removed, 2 shots. Rinehart center, 30 yards with different make of arrows/vanes, Mini Blazer, Blazer, Shield cut, VanTec, Neon. Neon, pretty, but it really show up? Bohning 1 3/4" Shield Cut X vane group at 55 yards when sighting in new bow. Bag, 2" Blazers, 80 yards.
    Attached Images Attached Images