Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vane by any name

Sonny Thomas

Default Vane by any name

No one likes Bohning vanes better than I and I buy them by the hundreds. I think I have tried all their present vanes except the Micro Mini and 5 inches. I have also tried NAP Twisters and the 2 and their 4 inch Quick Spins. I use to buy AAE vanes by the hundreds. I tried a few Norways, R2, Predator and Duravane. I tried VanTec, Easton and a couple of others. I test things and to the tune of several hundred times. All the vanes I tried performed and only two I just did not like. The disliked was the Norway Predator and the NAP 4" Quick Spin. All vanes did as they were intend to do, guide the arrow. Most all were fletched as per instructions (except for glue) and some exceeded instructions. Accuracy never suffered. Speed may have been effected, but if you're sighted in it really doesn't matter, now does it?

Virtually all today's hyped 2 inch vanes are said not to exceed 2 to 3 degrees of offset, Blazers, Twisters and the such. It is not that exceeding 2 or 3 degrees effects accuracy, but can effect down range speed. How far down range? I don't know as I'm setting my Chronograph down range 60 or 80 yards to find out. But for normal to perhap a bit beyond huntings distances you won't see enough to worry about. The average killing distance for whitetails remains 19 yards. Today's bows, hyped as they are, you would think the average distance would be extended. And today's bows and information now available to aid hunters puts a combination together so that clean 40 yards shots are a real possibility.

Accuracy. Every vane I tested was tested between 20 and 30 yards. A few were tested beyond this, out to 80 yards. Not one failed. My opinion; Proper bow set up and correct arrow and build has more to do with accuracy than vanes. My proof; Rip one vane off the arrow and still hit the X ring at 20 yards. Other proof; NAP technician; We have produced 2 inch groups at 60 yards with only the fletching area of the arrow weighted with tape.
    Removing one vane. Friend of mine was practicing in the shop's indoor range. As I watched a vane fell off the arrow went other than intended. He remarked it was because the vane came off. I retrieve his arrow and had him shoot it again. And again the arrow went wayward. I then ripped a Mini Blazer off my arrow and fired, drilling the X ring. I did this 3 times back to back. I took one of mine test arrows fletched with a NAP 2" Twister, ripped one vane off and promptly drilled the X ring, twice. I tuned his bow. He was quite happy with the results.....

Noise. All passed but the one above disliked, the Predator. It gave a unliked noisy flutter sound. The NAP 4" Quick Spin; For my testing for the past two years, the 4" NAP Quick Spin gets failing marks. I won't use them again for hunting. My opinion; Deer jump vane noise than they jump the string and I had deer do that more with the Quick Spin more than any vane I've ever used for hunting.
    All other vanes produced some noise, some less, some more, but all about equal. Here, I fired from 50 yards and had a friend stand down range and is a safe spot 20 yards before the target. He heard every arrow before it hit the target and this regardless of vane.

My opinion; No vane gave outstanding qualities as for visual aid in finding if lost in the grass. Most all arrows recovered were found using a rake, hooked rod, metal detector or pure luck. Bright orange gave the best visual aid in flight. White came in second.

Pics; Green Twisters, one vane removed, 2 shots. Rinehart center, 30 yards with different make of arrows/vanes, Mini Blazer, Blazer, Shield cut, VanTec, Neon. Neon, pretty, but it really show up? Bohning 1 3/4" Shield Cut X vane group at 55 yards when sighting in new bow. Bag, 2" Blazers, 80 yards.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, personal preference get it....
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Sonny Thomas

Default Vane by any name

Additional;
    One, I am a stickler for arrow prep. I PMed with Arrow Splitter earlier; "Arrow prep is the key. Vane and all glue removed, I use those green Scotch Brite scrub pads to extra clean glue and scuff surface of shaft. I then use denatured alcohol and wipe them clean. I use a paper towel soaked enough to do this and turn towel so clean area is present to clean shaft. De-natured alcohol dries super fast, virtually no waiting. I do not clean bases of the vanes."
    I will not use rubbing alcohol or acetone and I gave more for cleaning, but this should suffice.

Jig setting is a must. The base of the vane must seat properly, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Short vanes probably give more problems than all others vanes. I have found a solution. I place a matching vane in the opposite end of the clamp to eliminate clamp tilt. Short vane and the longer part of the clamp dips down. See picture.

Glue; I use Bohning Platinum because I like it. However, by instructions of Vane makers a different glue may be suggested. What can and does happen is the base of the vane can wrinkle. I have used many other glues used for vanes and have had good to excellent results. Most all glue failures come from improper prepping of the shaft or body oils from touching the vane by the hands or fingers.
    Here is the other part I PMed Arrow Splitter;
    "I use Bohning Patinum glue all but 100% of the time. How good does this work out for me? 5 to 7 minutes per vane will do for waiting. And I've been known to shoot new fletched arrows almost right of the jig, but mostly 5 to 15 minutes. But like I noted, I don't shoot through anything and don't pull the arrow so that my hand slips to catch the vanes. And it doesn't make any difference whether fletched straight, offset or full helical."
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Sonny,
    If you ever get a chance to try out the Gator vanes, let me know what you think of them. They are all I use, feather and plastic.
    Don.
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    I Shoot a 2012-SepterV and a 2011-Shadowcat
    I shoot Bowhunter, not barebow--fingers non-sights.
    Enter-ZESTY at checkout at Deer Crossing Archery- http://deercrossingarchery.com/
    For a 10% discount on all products, other than ECO Hunter shafts.

Post Thanks / Like

I will agree, personal preferance. I started with 3'' aae moved to Norway. Now I am experimenting with shooting 4 2'' Vantecs. I actually like the Vantec set up. It seems to be alot quietter. I dont want to jump on the Bohning band wagon yet. I love fletching arrows, it must be the glue.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Sonny Thomas;100445]The NAP 4" Quick Spin; For my testing for the past two years, the 4" NAP Quick Spin gets failing marks. I won't use them again for hunting. My opinion; Deer jump vane noise than they jump the string and I had deer do that more with the Quick Spin more than any vane I've ever used for hunting.

Oh my, great save Sonny, I had some old aluminum's that I put these on and was gonna try them for deer this year and save the carbons for Elk, guess they will be used for flinging in the yard, and I'll have to try my hand at fletching now
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to
    The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life

'96 Firecat, '66 Herters

Sonny Thomas

Default Vane by any name

Mac, it's my opinion. Okay? One, I fletched mine with the jig set to almost, if not 3 degrees - lazy me didn't want to reset the jig. NAP Quick Spins should be fletched straight, in my opinion.

Going to be sorting out my collection of archery stuff and may have a few hundred vanes go up for sale, Bohning Mini Blazers, NAP Twisters, some Vantec, and a bunch of NAP 2 and 4" Quick Spins.

Post Thanks / Like

Sonny, I'm sure with all your years of shooting and therefore knowledge it should be evident that too much helical can be detrimental to down range accuracy. Not only can too much degrade speed, but can destabilize the arrow. That could be the reason no more than 2 degrees is recommended. I agree with you about the Quickspins. That little "kicker" at the tail end of the vane is what provides the necessary "helical".

Personally, because I once shot Martin's X system on a Slayr I got to liking the Duravane LP 400 when I shot vanes for hunting. Most times I still prefer feathers.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Sonny Thomas

Default Vane by any name

Yes, Barry, too much helical can effect flight and speed. I also thought the 4" NAPs set to somewhat of 3 degrees had my arrow drop off far more than the 4" AAEs I had used for years.

There's always doubt of some kind when reading of others and their issues and successes. So it becomes doubly (?) person perference?

I loved 4" feathers when I shot aluminum. When going to carbon I switched to plastic vanes. Ahh! Feathers and Vanes, two different feathers of the same kind! Feathers are feathers called vanes and Vanes are plastic

Now, if I happen to latch on to another recurve, feathers...and maybe cresting...

Post Thanks / Like

Just like Barry said sonny, you have a wealth of knowledge, and if I can keep from making "mistakes" that anyone who has shot for years has, I'm gonna listen. and I was wrong about quick spins, they are quick fletches, the soak in hot water to shrink on the shaft, ... good quick fix for the field ... not much for anything else, and I don't just carry one arrow in the quiver so .. not much use to me, I was just being lazy
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to
    The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life

'96 Firecat, '66 Herters