Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vane by any name

Post Thanks / Like

I've been the course of 4" Vanes, Nap Quick Fletch ( too pricy), Twisters, Norway Fusions, Blazers, now some 4" Shield Cut Trueflights. End result for me is Blazers on a Ariz. Mini and feathers with a right Arizona that I used my Dremel Tool to widen the opening just enough to use it with feathers. The feathers are the best to 30 yrds. Arrow prep is, cut to my 29" lenght by taking 1" off the nock end and then square the nock end, cut arrow to 29" and square the insert end before inserts are glued in, final square of the inserts to get my broadheads lined up and I'am done. Lately been really piling the 340 Axis with feathers out to 30 yards. Gobblers are gonna catch a Muzzy 125 Phantom if I can get one into 30 yards.

Post Thanks / Like

Mac, fletching is easy. It will give you the chance to try out different types of vanes and pick the brand you like besJo Jan use a jojan single fletcher and can get an arrow done in about a minute not counting any prep time.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

Sonny Thomas

Default Vane by any name

Arrow squaring, something I don't do and don't believe in if the arrow is cut properly to start with.

I have the shop's arrow saw set so the blade just cuts the wall of the shaft. I roll the shaft into the blade and keep rolling the shaft until the cut is complete and spin the arrow a couple of times after the cut is complete. Not once of going on 5 years have I had a complaint.

I will cut arrows as the customer wants, half and half, and I charge them double. 1 cut is one price, so 2 cuts should be double.

Post Thanks / Like

I have always cut my arrows using the same technique as Sonny describes, and have never had a wobbley point. YMMV
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

My cheapo saw and being a former reloader have left me with a compulsive perfectionist veiw. I do notice though if I mark the end of uncut or cut ends with a silver marker and then touch the end to my sqaring tool the arrows are not as square as I desire. Just me.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

...and then add the raggedy end of a glued in insert. Does anyone square the insert once installed?
    Martin Black Panther - Martin Cougar III Magnum
    Rytera Scepter V - Martin Diablo - 2 @ Rytera Seeker

"I will make My arrows drunk with blood... Deuteronomy 32:42a (HCSB)
    I am an Alien, I am in this world but I am not of this world, have mercy. Tell the Truth and shame the Devil.
    http://theprayeroftheday.com

Sonny Thomas

Default Vane by any name

Quote Originally Posted by peace View Post
    ...and then add the raggedy end of a glued in insert. Does anyone square the insert once installed?
    I think I understand what you're saying, I think, and I have brought this up before...Always got some song and dance routine throw back at me...Probably because they were miffed .
    Me, I like snug inserts, okay a little of press to seat them. Unsquared shaft and all, you shove that insert in and that's it, done. The barrel of the insert is aligned to the inside of the arrow shaft and the collar of the insert stops on whatever high spot of the unsquared arrow shaft end. So much for squaring the end of the arrow shaft.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Thomas View Post
    I think I understand what you're saying, I think, and I have brought this up before...Always got some song and dance routine throw back at me...Probably because they were miffed .
    Me, I like snug inserts, okay a little of press to seat them. Unsquared shaft and all, you shove that insert in and that's it, done. The barrel of the insert is aligned to the inside of the arrow shaft and the collar of the insert stops on whatever high spot of the unsquared arrow shaft end. So much for squaring the end of the arrow shaft.
    My thoughts exactly, how can it be anything but straight?
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    My thoughts exactly, how can it be anything but straight?
    Geometry and Trigonometry 101. Bam!
    Martin Black Panther - Martin Cougar III Magnum
    Rytera Scepter V - Martin Diablo - 2 @ Rytera Seeker

"I will make My arrows drunk with blood... Deuteronomy 32:42a (HCSB)
    I am an Alien, I am in this world but I am not of this world, have mercy. Tell the Truth and shame the Devil.
    http://theprayeroftheday.com

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man She's gonna kill me, I can hear it now, " What the heck do you need that for, just get the ones that are already made,"
    you guys are gonna be the death of me .
    But I'll be goin "HOME" with a smile for a couple reasons
    And trig was my strong suit, simple math kills me 2+2=5 but I can proooove it
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to
    The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life

'96 Firecat, '66 Herters