Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vane by any name

Sonny Thomas

Default Vane by any name

Math. Piece of cake. I did well in math until I hit Algebra. All but flunked that. Teacher offered me a passing grade so long as I didn't take Geometry. Years later, due to needing more math to advance I took a crash course in Geometry and Trig. I first brushed up with Advanced math before. I passed with flying colors. I thought Geo. and Trig. easier the Algebra. From there, for shop stuff, it was just learning formulas. Now, the kicker is after all those classes I never once used any of it in the shop I didn't have to. It's all worked out with computers and machines now.

First, Fractions are a piece of cake. What's half of 1/8? Simple, 1/16. What's half of 7/64? Again simple, 7/128. All you do is double the dominator. What's one fourth of 3/16? 3/64. All you do is double the dominator twice.

Those GPS thingies. Same difference as in finding location of a bore or drilled or a tapped hole in a transmission case or engine block. GPS units work off coordinates established on a larger scale and some times referred to as triangulation. The formula isn't much different. For bore location; The square root of X squared plus y squared times 2 equals "you are here."

Post Thanks / Like

guy's this is all good stuff. Thanks Sonny for starting this as I learned from it. The bottom line for a lot of us is the local shops charges $2.50 and arrow, $3.50 with a wrap for re-fletching. Mac look at the AZ Easy Fletch minnie, easy quick and clean. I got my saw off Craigslist for $40 bucks. Ebay is a good sources for archery equipment also. I shoot Norway Zeon Fusions with a white wrap. Man they light up, even in low light. The white wrap helps you see the flight. I still use Blazer on the rest of the family, you really cant go wrong with blazers. Like Sonny said prep on the arrow is #1.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2014 Mathews Creed
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tosi View Post
    Mac look at the AZ Easy Fletch minnie, easy quick and clean. I got my saw off Craigslist for $40 bucks. Ebay is a good sources for archery equipment also.
    Thanks Tosi,
    I still have the question about Helical, offset, or straight, ... Helical being the degrees " pivoted" on center of the vane on center of the shaft?, offset would be whole vane set off center of the shaft ? almost like a 3 blade turkey broadhead looks ??, and If I'm correct straight is just that , so with a bow in the mid 250's, 260's, What set up would you use for fletching? ... AGAIN? MORE LEARNING? WHAT?? SAY IT ISN'T SO!!
    Mac
    Oh and do I need to use wraps on carbon shafts, I'm guessing they are only for looks, and or to help adhesion ??
    Last edited by macflash; 04-01-2013 at 10:17 PM.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to
    The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life

'96 Firecat, '66 Herters

Sonny Thomas

Default Vane by any name

Helical is a curve, spiral if you will. Most full size clamps are 11 degrees over a 5 inch length.

Rare and almost non-extistent is a 5 degree helical clamp. I don't believe it is made anymore. BUT! Bitzenburger will custom make clamps.

Some say they add offset to a helical clamp. WRONG! There is no offsetting. 11 degrees is 11 degrees. The only adjustment is to properly seat the vane.

Bohning came out with the Helix jig which puts a true 3 degree helical for their 2" Blazer, which works for all 2" vanes.

Straight clamps are straight, of course, but can be offset up to 3 degrees. Less for smaller diameter arrows and maybe more for larger diameter arrows.

Wraps came into being more for looks than for better adhering of vanes, but some people swear by them. At around $15 for a dozen I got better things to spend my money on, especially the way I go through arrows.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macflash View Post
    Thanks Tosi,
    I still have the question about Helical, offset, or straight, ... Helical being the degrees " pivoted" on center of the vane on center of the shaft?, offset would be whole vane set off center of the shaft ? almost like a 3 blade turkey broadhead looks ??, and If I'm correct straight is just that , so with a bow in the mid 250's, 260's, What set up would you use for fletching? ... AGAIN? MORE LEARNING? WHAT?? SAY IT ISN'T SO!!
    Mac
    Oh and do I need to use wraps on carbon shafts, I'm guessing they are only for looks, and or to help adhesion ??
    Mac, the nice thing about fletching yourself is you can try different fletching along with arrow set up that meet your demands. For me I like the AZ Minnie with a max right helical as my Brodhead fly perfect with a Slick Trick 100g mag out to 80 yards. Plus my arrow is 29" long at 420g shooting on a 29" draw with a 340 spine. On my hunting arrows I use a white 3" wrap with Neon Fussion as they are really easy to find and see in flight they stick graet too!. I used a straight fletch for years and then tried quick spines; they worked WO a right helical. Put a right helical on a qick spin and it was over kill. My arrows would get a drift to the right over 40 yards with a Brodhead. I don't think you could go wrong with a straight fletch "just don't tell the White House" LOL.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2014 Mathews Creed
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tosi View Post
    Mac, the nice thing about fletching yourself is you can try different fletching along with arrow set up that meet your demands. For me I like the AZ Minnie with a max right helical as my Brodhead fly perfect with a Slick Trick 100g mag out to 80 yards. Plus my arrow is 29" long at 420g shooting on a 29" draw with a 340 spine. On my hunting arrows I use a white 3" wrap with Neon Fussion as they are really easy to find and see in flight they stick graet too!. I used a straight fletch for years and then tried quick spines; they worked WO a right helical. Put a right helical on a qick spin and it was over kill. My arrows would get a drift to the right over 40 yards with a Brodhead. I don't think you could go wrong with a straight fletch "just don't tell the White House" LOL.
    And of course, ( as if there was any doubt), you guys have answered my questions perfectly, enough to get started anyway. I'll be using, carbon express shafts to start with, they are straight fletch out of the box. I still have to get the bow set up to be sure where I wanna go. I'm thinking NAP thunderheads to start with for a broadhead, this bow will be mainly hunting with a little 3d now and then, there's a course ( I just found out) right down the road , I just put the tru glo xs carbon 4 pin on it .. lol told Hutch it needs a little .... tuning, it was a little high, okay a foot but man does this thing shoot.
    and I found that minnie wasn't the one I first saw, yeah looks like a great little jig !! and again price is right, I will need to get a saw and cut shafts down, they come at 30 but I can get away with taking an inch out, re-glue an insert, put a 100 gr. head on it and I'll keep you informed as to what happens next.
    thanls again you guys, you're the best, and yes definitely thank you Sonny for starting this one
    Mac
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to
    The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life

'96 Firecat, '66 Herters