Thread: leveling sight

Post Thanks / Like

Default leveling sight

My new Bengal is a great bow, but my IQ bubble is off a half a bubble when the bow is level. Where can I find some shim stock to get 1-3 axis's good. This is the same sight that took a fall out of a tree 2 years ago. I love these sights and don't normaly even look at the bubble but depend on the gizmo on the sight that shows any torque being induced to the bow. Maybe I should just shoot the thing as it is, Looks like my new 4" feathers and a 125 grn. Phantom will be a pile driver when I get to the range, at 20 yards I don't dare shoot two arrows. I'll post some pictures when I can find my camera. Old Age TOO SOON, anybody figure out how we can stay 13 in these old wrecked carcasses?

Post Thanks / Like

An auto parts store should have shim material in virtually any thickness you need. Worst case, buy a feeler guage and find out what thickness you need behind the sight (by trial and error sadly) and then use that leaf of the guage to make a shim.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Sonny Thomas

Default leveling sight

Paper can be used for shimming. Yep, plain ole note book paper. Use a piece bigger than needed, 3 X 5. You can then fold, fold again or half fold and even add paper. Once you have the bubble where you want it, cut the paper down to size so it doesn't stick out. Done this on my hunting bow.

Paper is a material that once compressed, that's it. For many years working in the machine shop, Caterpillar, Inc, we would paper shim to correct pads on parts fixtures. We could zero every pad to under .0002". Mmm...about 1/4 the thickness of the cellophane (.0009") on a pack of cigarettes....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sonny; I forgot about the paper, If I remenber right, standard sheet of note book or computer paper is .005.

Post Thanks / Like

She's level now, piece out of plastic laundrey bottle, miked .060. Good to go, Tune was right on for 20 yrds. Too windy to do a Walk Back to 60yrds. Nice flight with the 4" Shield Cut and 125 grn Phamtoms grouped right with my 125 grn Silktips.