Thread: Blade Rest for Hunting?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Blade Rest for Hunting?

I just got my Alien Z back from Martin and am trying to acquire some accessories to set it up since I am now using the QAD rest on my Alien X. I put an HHA single pin slider on it with a 4 inch extension and a Quicktune prong rest on it for now. I really am liking the Quicktune rest over the drop away -- this kind of surprises me a little. I don't like the fact that it contact the fletching since I am using an extreme helical fletching, but I like its simplicity and perceived accuracy. I am kind of thinking of putting a blade rest on it. Do any of you use a blade rest for hunting instead of a drop away?

Sonny Thomas

I use a QuikTune 3000 on my hunting rig, have for years. I use 2 to 3 degrees of offset and don't have a problem steering fixed broadheads. I also have a old 5 degree helical clamp I have for my Martin jig. This 5 degree helical clamp gives good clearance for prong style rests - prongs properly adjusted. Seems people are a little timid at pulling a rest so to really set the prongs to the arrow. With the QuikTune, just pull the block and adjust the prongs for best clearance - center between vanes.

QuikTunes, especially the 3000, are darn good arrow rests. Super fine adjustment for center shot and height, great spring tension adjustment. The 3000, SpotHogg and 3D Rover are in a class of their own. For several years I used the QT3000 for 3D and Spots and can't fault it one bit.

I take it you mean the blade that comes with the QuikTune? They have no give, just a strong steel launch arm, so not like a lizard tongue. I had clearance issues with full helical.

3D is one thing, like a trophy buck of a life time isn't going to missed. Hunting is another. Your is sort at the mercy of the elements, wind, and brush. Randy Ulmer once penned that he lost a shot at a superb animal (mule deer or goat) because the wind blew his arrow off the lizard tongue.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree 100% with Sonny on the Quiktune 3000, have one on my hunting rig and one on my 3D/Field bow.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

My local shop had QT2000 rest for 22 dollars, I can say it's by far and away the best 22 dollar accessory on my Nemesis. Rock solid and easy to tune, my fixed Muzzy broadheads fly great.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't say much about a blade rest I never used one but I do have a quick tune 3000 on my alpine whisperflight and I have harvested a lot of deer with it. I always shot the thunder head 125 fixed blades out of it and never had any problems. I would say it was probably one of the best rests I have owned.
    2013 Martin Onza XT
    NAP Apache Rest
    Trophy Ridge 3pin Cypher Sight
    NAP Apache Stabilizer
    Kwikee Kwik 3 Kwiver
    Truball stinger release
    CX Heart Attack 350
    100g Rocket Hammerheads

Bow String Depot

60% of the time it works every time!

WWW.shorewindshuntingfarm.com

Post Thanks / Like

can someone post a pic of a properly set quick tune, i have one on the Firecat and ... well ... played with it , Hutch put a video on for basic set up and the guy mentions spinning the loop to adjust for center shot. So how should the shaft rest in the prongs before i fine tune in center shot with the the loop
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to
    The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life

'96 Firecat, '66 Herters

Sonny Thomas

Prong tips of these rests were set to a standard fletched arrow - centered between the vanes.
    First pic; MagnaTec and 4" NAP QuickSpins, 3 degrees (which is too much for the vane - too much drag).
    2nd pic; UltraTec and 4" AAEs set to 5 degrees.
    Note prong tips for MagnaTec, centered between vanes. UltraTec, arrow turned slightly to give best clearance for the 5 degrees. Note amount of twist of vane.

Note; The QuikSpin 3000 has super fine adjustment, no need of loop tuning. Test for seeing if you have a properly timed and set up bow; Check loop after several shots. The loop should be a perfect ">" back to the string. Anything different and you don't have a really good set up. Just that simple, just that plain.

Never ever were these bows setup with a loop. Both placed and won many 3Ds. The UltraTec took a 3rd in the State Outdoor Target Championship (60,50 and 40 yards) and the UltraTec took a 2nd (2 points down) in the State Field Championship (20 feet to 80 yards). Both Championships are two days for us in Illinois. Respectively per event; 180 arrows and 224 arrows.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sonny Thomas; 02-19-2013 at 08:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding Sonny,
    and this is the reason I come here, I may have to refletch to clear the rest for now, plus been looking at the Apache, which I can get for free from Cabelas my older aluminum have NAP quick fletches on them, but the new carbons came fletched, after I get the new Hutch string on I'll see how it sits,
    hope my question helped the thread, ... and sorry for taking it over
    Mac
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to
    The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life

'96 Firecat, '66 Herters