Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone found the optimal timing for Onza 3 yet

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone found the optimal timing for Onza 3 yet

Been messing with my onza to make the let off less and got it rezynchronized, but was wondering if the cams are in the correct and optimal position. What does everyone suggest for timing these. I know Martin suggest using the draw length module screws to time think they mean sync) them, but how do you know which dot they should be on for optimal timing.. Mine is on the 28.5" Dl setting and my cables cross the #3 screw hole...what do others have

Sonny Thomas

Martin has one of the best manuals out, bar none. Timing the Onza III is no different than timing the 2010 and 2011 Shadowcats. I timed mine as per Martin's manual. I then adjusted the positive draw stop to give a bit less letoff and tad bit shorter draw length. Cams tied back to each other there is no rotation of the upper cam.
    Timed correctly, you can shoot through paper from any distance and get a star bullet hole, mine does.

Both my Shadowcats were remarkably accurate. 2010 was replaced with a 2012 Scepter V and I still have my 2011.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is set at a 28.5 DL, and the cables cross about 2/3 of the #3 hole, with the rest of the cable on the #4 side. That was the best setting I could find for speed, and shootability. I went past that point just a little, and actually lost a bit of speed.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    Mine is set at a 28.5 DL, and the cables cross about 2/3 of the #3 hole, with the rest of the cable on the #4 side. That was the best setting I could find for speed, and shootability. I went past that point just a little, and actually lost a bit of speed.
    mine is also on 28.5" but i have the draw stop moved to get 28"...could that be be why mine is only on #3 hole?

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to learn a ton about the Martin Nitro/Hybrix/Cat Cams you should read up on the following thread from Archery talk. These cams are all virtually the same and you can really speed your bow up if you have a chrono and some time. The cams really like to be wound up tight to get some serious speed out of them.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...izing+cat+cams

Sonny Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Lab Rat View Post
    If you want to learn a ton about the Martin Nitro/Hybrix/Cat Cams you should read up on the following thread from Archery talk. These cams are all virtually the same and you can really speed your bow up if you have a chrono and some time. The cams really like to be wound up tight to get some serious speed out of them.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...izing+cat+cams

Can you link the article/post itself? I got crap with the above link. I think I read it before, just want to check.

Searched ArcheryTalk. Gary S's Post? I'm in there a couple of times. Sacrifices, harsh reality, draw length issues and....ahhhhh! the draw weight gain and holding weight gain < Yes, that will give you some speed alright....
    This was tried by one of my co-workers when the shop handled Martins. Note Gary said you don't want 80% letoff or more? Yep, cams wrapped up, mods set just so, limbs backed off and draw stop set for max letoff. Watched TS shoot it. I swore his release hand was coming back before the bow string went forward. 2 or 3 weeks later TS left for a better paying job and I got the 2008 dark blue target FireCat. Yes, a 33" ata dark blue target bow - TS needed his head...well.... So I tried it for a test hop and not liking my set I tried to let down. I couldn't. Scared me to death. Didn't know what to do and held on forever. Finally, the boss or Bob tapped the bottom cam with a 2X2 and it finally let down. Whew!
    I trashed the setup of the FireCat and set it as per the Martin manual. The bow performed just great. I also did a 2008 Slayer shortly after. The owner loved it and still owns it and I've tried to buy it many times. The thing is fast just sitting in the bow case.

Now, noted is the draw weight increase of 3 to 5 pounds. You set the bow to yourself draw length (if you can get it - better ask Barry/bfisher), set the draw stop, back off the mods one draw length and there you are. So you're shooting off the draw stop which gives something of 60 to 65%. Around the same time I got into with a Pearson staff shooter and the Z7 cam. Yep, same thing, wrap up the cam and get more speed. And the same thing, upping the draw weight. Now, so far I have never seen Martin or Pearson approve of this. If Terry or Joel were come on here and said this works I'd give it another try......
    Last edited by Sonny Thomas; 02-13-2013 at 09:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

already read all those threads from AT as suggested by many.....My cables are pretty close to the cable posts as suggested in one of those threads, so I'm thinking my bow might be good to go

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, just my .02c... I built a draw board so I could really watch the cams and try to get them dialed in. I played with my chrono a bit, and ended up putting my module one space too long, and then using the draw stop to adjust my length by moving towards the -, it moved me closer to around 78% let off, and narrowed my valley quite a bit, but I'm ok with that. However that has more to do with the mod setting and not the timing. To set the timing, I set up my draw board and watched the cams roll all the way around until the cables were flush against the flat part of the cam, then made adjustments to get them to hit flush at the same time.

It takes some time and patience but there you go. If you want, from there you can do some creep tuning and experiment with advancing one cam or the other, but that is a little more advanced than what I've gotten into so far.
    Last edited by wscywabbit; 02-14-2013 at 02:58 AM.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

rdhj, By having yours set on the next longer mod hole, and using the stop to get 28", you are just cutting down on the amount of letoff and raising the holding weight. That in itsself will give you a little more speed. I just kept playing with mine 1/2 twist at a time to the cables until I was able to get about 75% let-off with the mods in the correct holes. Cam timing is perfect, synched well, and the valley is a little shorter but still there. Took several hours to get everything just right. I'm getting 302 fps@ 28.5" draw, 70#, and a 386 gr. arrow. The thread from Gstudt on AT is the same thread I used in getting mine setup, but I did mine to feel the way I wanted it to. It's slightly different than how he recomends. His is set up for him.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Ehunter, is 28.5" your true draw length or your AMO? Just asking cause my AMO is 28.25" and I'm getting a bit lower speeds out of the similar weighted arrows!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps