Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone found the optimal timing for Onza 3 yet

Post Thanks / Like

Sonny Thomas

Default Anyone found the optimal timing for Onza 3 yet

Lab Rat, thanks, that one worked. Yes, that is the same Thread. Please note in the Thread that of nuts&bolts and his referencing the Martin manual for timing.

Understand, timing in this Thread was set virtually by the Martin manual and timing is OP's question. Gary was seeking more speed. Understandable is changing the "timing" for a individual and it's no big secret to advance the top cam perhaps 1/2 twist of the cable. Simpler, some us want the top cam to hit a tad bit before the bottom cam. We've been doing this for years with the Hoyt cam&1/2 and I've done this with all 3 of the Martin Shadowcats I've shot and owned - 1 being a loaner from a Martin Staff shooter and 2 being my own.

Note; Gary said something of 3 pounds increase in draw weight and I have found as much as 8 pounds. This equates to about 6 to 24 fps. Changing letoff from 80% to 65% could amount to possibly 10 fps. So anywhere of 16 to 34 fps increase. BUT! If the draw weight is too much for you, then you must back off the limbs and this effects a bit of all that you've done.

If wanting more speed out of a bow, then there other means without increasing draw weight and losing letoff.

Post Thanks / Like

wabbit, that was AMO draw length. Mods set in the #3 holes, and the draw difference made up with the string. Might not be the right or best way to do it, but it's worked for me. lol
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous C
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I gotcha. Ya last spring I played around with the chrono and everything, and settled on the 2 slot, using the draw stop to set my dl. I tried the 3 slot and didn't like the valley it left me (or lack there of) once I set the draw stop. I was seeing blistering speeds though, about 10-15fps more than I currently enjoy.

Just goes to show you how adjustable these cams are!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    rdhj, By having yours set on the next longer mod hole, and using the stop to get 28", you are just cutting down on the amount of letoff and raising the holding weight. That in itsself will give you a little more speed. I just kept playing with mine 1/2 twist at a time to the cables until I was able to get about 75% let-off with the mods in the correct holes. Cam timing is perfect, synched well, and the valley is a little shorter but still there. Took several hours to get everything just right. I'm getting 302 fps@ 28.5" draw, 70#, and a 386 gr. arrow. The thread from Gstudt on AT is the same thread I used in getting mine setup, but I did mine to feel the way I wanted it to. It's slightly different than how he recomends. His is set up for him.
    would it be possible to get maybe 70% let off by messing with the cables while having the draw mod on the correct setting? or is that asking too much?

Post Thanks / Like

It should be possible. My bow has a 72# max draw weight, and I'm only holding back 13.68# at full draw. It just takes lot of playing with the cables and strings to get everything just right. Just make sure you don't go very far (1/8-3/16 inch) from specs for ATA and BH.

wabbit, I was wrong on my DL. I had forgotten that for some reason, a 29 DL felt best for me on the Onzas. I have no reason for this. Same anchor point, same "grip", same everything. It just feels better at 29 with the Onzas. That's AMO. Everything else I have is shorter.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous C
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.