Thread: 2011 onza tiller settings to get proper feel

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2011 onza tiller settings to get proper feel

anyone adjust their onza's tiller setting different from zero to get it to hold better....going to mess with mine and wondering what others have found

Sonny Thomas

The 2011 was the TRG/SOS model. What have you got for the cables, TRG, standard guide rod, bent guide rod, TiltTamer or other? What I'm getting at is the severe cable angle the TRG and even guide rod had. I worked with a Martin/Rytera Staff shorter on his Onza III. We tried a bit of tiller tuning, but were unsuccessful. The Staff shooter thought maybe the severe cable angle may have been effecting results.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Thomas View Post
    The 2011 was the TRG/SOS model. What have you got for the cables, TRG, standard guide rod, bent guide rod, TiltTamer or other? What I'm getting at is the severe cable angle the TRG and even guide rod had. I worked with a Martin/Rytera Staff shorter on his Onza III. We tried a bit of tiller tuning, but were unsuccessful. The Staff shooter thought maybe the severe cable angle may have been effecting results.
    I have the straight guide rod on mine...how does this affect tiller settings? what do you mean by sever angle? that the cables are too far to the right of the center? I am just adjusting tiller to try to get a better holding bow....did find that with the limbs back out equal amounts, that i had to add one complete turn to the top limb to get equal tiller measurements...one was 1/8" longer than the other when i measured.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rdhj View Post
    I have the straight guide rod on mine...how does this affect tiller settings? what do you mean by sever angle? that the cables are too far to the right of the center? I am just adjusting tiller to try to get a better holding bow....did find that with the limbs back out equal amounts, that i had to add one complete turn to the top limb to get equal tiller measurements...one was 1/8" longer than the other when i measured.
    my tiller is even as far as your cable rod goes I took mine off and bent a piece of 3/8 steel rod, you will like the fill of the bow alot better after changing the rod
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Sonny Thomas

I have the straight guide rod on mine...how does this affect tiller settings? what do you mean by sever angle? that the cables are too far to the right of the center?
    The severe angle of the cables puts additional stress on the limbs is what we thought. Measurement of tiller is not the proper method of tiller tuning. Tiller should be equal for sure, but tiller adjustment comes from adjusting the limbs, not measuring.

I don't know how deep you are into this. Adjusting tiller is no instant success story. When you adjust the limb you adjust limb pressure and this effects other things, like rest setting and/or arrow flight.

Not exactly understanding what you mean by "better holding bow." Are you speaking of letoff or feel of bow when firing? If not desireable, timing could be the issue. If properly timed then adjusting tiller is sometimes needed for proper arrow flight. Virtually all Martins I have setup and properly timed have near zero or zero string nock setting. Most gave about 1/16" high nock setting. Properly timed the bows gave little to no recoil and noise is exceptionally low.

Post Thanks / Like

I am looking to make the bow sit comfortably in my hand and not move around alot.....doing a complete retune on the bow.....got the nocking point set last night and it is at 1/4 above level....messed with the tiller in both directions and adding half a turn on top and taking off half a turn on bottom does seem to make it fit my hand better...was wondering if serving the cables where it would touch the TRG and then putting it back on would help limb lean some

Sonny Thomas

I am looking to make the bow sit comfortably in my hand and not move around alot.....doing a complete retune on the bow.....got the nocking point set last night and it is at 1/4 above level....messed with the tiller in both directions and adding half a turn on top and taking off half a turn on bottom does seem to make it fit my hand better...was wondering if serving the cables where it would touch the TRG and then putting it back on would help limb lean some
    "I am looking to make the bow sit comfortably in my hand and not move around alot." This sounds like a hand/riser grip issue; 1) Gripping the bow before drawing. 2) Improper hand placement to begin with. 3) Using a high grip hold or possibly draw length too long that trying to at hold full draw causes the hand to/or trying to extend to a high grip. Another that gives movement is holding at full draw too hard.
    The hand only needs the bow to hold the bow to keep it falling out of the hand. Bow should be properly positioned and the hand open in a relaxed state the instant the string very little pull on it, like next to nothing will keep the bow positioned. The hand should be in a relaxed open state throughout drawing and at full draw.

Some of us "grew up" in archery with some of the meanest coaches in the Universe. They would lube your hand or riser grip or both and have us draw the bow as noted above, hand just so and draw. If we didn't; "Hit the road. I don't have time for you. I have other students who really do want to be good." For those of us who did draw our bow we found the greased up mess held the bow perfectly. Our hand did slip, but it slipped up where it should slip to and held like a rock.

See Pic - First must be the finest grip in the world of 3D, winning the vast majority of ASA Nationals for the past 6 years and 6 time ASA Shooter of the Year and at the head of the pack already this year. Note his bow hand. The meaty part of the heal of his hand is not touching the riser grip, but off to right side of the riser grip. Stick your arm straight out to the side and look down you arm at past your hand through the web between the thumb and index finger. If not, turn hand so knuckles are at 45 degrees. Your bow would be straight up and down just inside the base thumb joint in the meaty part of the thumb, but the corner of the hand no touching.

"serving the cables where it would touch the TRG" Not understand what you mean here. You said you have the straight guide rod. As such, no TRG, correct? Serving would do no good here, not if the cables are going through the slide/guide.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sonny Thomas; 02-16-2013 at 05:33 PM.