Thread: Tuning Alien X with CCS

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tuning Alien X with CCS

I know that a lot has been said about the CCS and the love-hate relationship that some of us have with them. I am waiting for a conversion kit from Martin to rid myself of the CCS. I would like to keep the CCS on the bow, but the only way that I am able to have enough adjustment in the site is to loosen the forward CCS bolt and allow the CCS to tilt in closer to the bowstring. I know that many have placed shims under the CCS in order to make this type of fix more permanent. What other options are there with the CCS? It is too bad that the CCS isn't more adjustable like adding additional roller pin locations closer to the riser to adjust for less clearance and less side torque. I don't need nearly that much clearance for vanes.

Post Thanks / Like

I hear ya Lab. Both my Aliens have the CCS, and ALOT of vane clearance. Luckily, it doesn't cause any cam lean, and hasn't affected my tuning. Both were very easy to tune, and have stayed in tune. Would feel better about it if it did have some adjustment though. My old '09 Firecat I had was the same way. No lean, easy to tune, and lotsa clearance. I think 3/8-1/2 inch clearance is more than enough. Might be able to shoot Flu-flus without fletching contact. lol
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

i have 3 alien xs i changed all mine to a cable slide system which i made myself , i was having to much cam lean on the bottom cam. it did not change a thing on the bows brace ht. ata, peak wt. stayed the same. the change made all three bows much smoother to draw. i hated to hear that they are putting the css on some of their 2013 bows, if it aint broke don't fix it. good luck
    curtis

2010 nemesis camo, 2011 nemesis carbon fiber,
    2010 onza 3 camo,

Post Thanks / Like

I finally got all the hardware to change the CCS out. I bought a conversion kit from Martin and installed a tilt tamer select on it. Centershot set very close to the initial eyeballing of bowstring. So much easier without the CCS. I honestly was a little worried that the bow would be a little louder because my Alien Z setup the same way was a little louder without the CCS. This time though the bow is whisper quite with the cable slide and the tilt tamer. Can't wait for deer season this Alien X is a perfect deer stand bow. I like shooting it so much that I am considering getting rid of the Alien Z and maybe getting a Scepter V for target. I wonder if anyone would consider such a trade?

Post Thanks / Like

Is the conversion kit just a bracket that the rod slides into? Also, how much did it cost?
    2012 Rytera Nemesis in vista camo
    equipment list
    • Strings by BOW STRING DEPOT (Formerly hutch n sons archery)
    • octane stabilizer
    • 3/16 meta peep
    • HHA ol5519 sight
    • QAD ultrarest HDX in realtree ap
    • fuse 3 arrow quiver
    • saunders hyperglide cable slide

Post Thanks / Like

It is a bracket and two screws. The bracket slides in and the two screws just pin the guide rod to the bracket. I think that it was $12.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no cam lean or any issue with my Alien X CCS. But i know we all have different preferences. So when you changed the ccs out what was the difference?

Post Thanks / Like

The nock travel is directly inline with the centershot. The rest, arrow, and the sight pins line up. With my Alien Z I could not get rid of a left tear until I removed the CCS. I could also feel that the bow did not want to turn in my hand on the draw and the bow just sits nicely in the pad of my thumb. It's just a personal preference I guess.

Live in Boerne TX. Work where the oil is found.
    Post Thanks / Like

About 250 arrows from a new bow, this put me off of the CCS concept.

On a shot, arrow went really high, missing backstop and target and passing through my neighbor's fence. Glad nobody was in their back yard. (Yes, after that little event, I redesigned my shooting arrangement so that I can't endanger anyone like that again. Quite a scare.)
    Semper Fi! Corpsman Up!

Life Member of PETA
    (People for the Eating of Tasty Animals))