Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2004 SlayR

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2004 SlayR

Hey all, just picked up a 2004 SlayR a few days ago. I've been shooting it but noticed a slight creak towards the top limb, when I looked at it, I think I may have found a slight splinter. Martin has always helped me in the past, but not with a bow that is almost 10 years old. You think they will still help me out?

Thanks,
    Jake

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely they will help; I bought my '05 Saber from a friend, and after I shot it over the summer the limb cracked on me. I took it down to a local shop because at the time I didn't know how to do maintenance my self, and they called Martin for me. New limbs were there with in a few days and all it cost me was shipping and some shop time. Give them a call.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

joelc

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there isn't anything we can do to fix that bow...we simply don't have the parts. The best offer we could make would be a trade-in value (approx. $150) towards any remaining 2012 bow.
    Last edited by joelc; 02-19-2013 at 05:07 PM.

Sonny Thomas

Default 2004 SlayR

Jake,
    Just how bad and where at? I've had a couple bows where there splinter was on the corner of the limb - one had two longish splinters. No loss of horse power. Lightly notched splinter so not have grow, held there and broke off. Sanded down, polished a bit and brushed on clear lacquer. Bows are still shooting.

Put it on draw board and see what it looks like.

Post Thanks / Like

Well at the moment, its just specualtion. I had to work a night shift tonight so it cut into my process of examining and shooting it further, but its right in the limb fork. I hope its just a slight crack in the paint, if not it sounds like I'm S.O.L. but it is what it is. Just wish I could keep the nitrous cams.

Post Thanks / Like

Well since it looks like Martin will not be able to help in this instance, and assuming you want to keep the bow, your next choice would be a set of Barnesdale limbs. I don't know what deflection numbers you would need, or how much it would run you but it would be a viable route to keep the bow up and running.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

I see they make the replacement limbs for Martin. However I don't think these limbs are 1.5" across, I may have to ask if they can custom make them. I suppose no one would happen to have a bow they would wanna part away for limbs. Martins deflection indicates 5L 50-65# draw weight.

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jake, what are the measurements of your limbs?
    Found this http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...ghlight=Martin on AT recently. Might be the way to go
    Last edited by HawgEnvy; 02-20-2013 at 06:59 AM.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Place a " Want to buy " ad on AT or you could find another older Martin and part out the limbs , cams and modules. If you found a 2004 ish Martin Cougar III, I'm looking for the riser to build a hunting bow for my grandson.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

joelc

Quote Originally Posted by Jake-the-snake View Post
    I see they make the replacement limbs for Martin. However I don't think these limbs are 1.5" across, I may have to ask if they can custom make them. I suppose no one would happen to have a bow they would wanna part away for limbs. Martins deflection indicates 5L 50-65# draw weight.
    I think the Barnsdales would be an affordable option