Thread: wavy vanes - clearance problems?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default wavy vanes - clearance problems?

i just discoverd that my new 4" vanes became sort of wavy after the the first 20 shots or so.

DSC05674.JPGDSC05673.JPGDSC05671.jpg

coud this be due to fletching contact/ clearance problems and can the wavy vanes affect accuracy and arrow flight?? im using the nap quicktune 3000.

Post Thanks / Like

I think so. It looks like only one vane is hitting, which makes sense. Use powder to find out were it's hitting. As far as accuracy goes, it's possible it could be effecting accuracy, but I haven't done a test to know for sure.

Also, you can fix the vane by using a blow dryer.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Sonny Thomas

By the nock position and wavy vane it appears the arrow is being driven into the block of the prongs. I've seen this before when timing has been off. Can you post pic of rest with arrow nocked?

I've shot many arrows that had wavy, shot up vanes and accuracy was never a problem. At one time I carried a repair pouch on my quiver belt, this when our group shot together every weekend. Extra nocks for those split or busted, assorted points, a length of serving to serve peeps, super glue (quick fix for loose vane), and scotch tape for punctured or torn vanes. All worked to get us through a 3D. Back then 3Ds were all 40 targets. Figure 5 and 6 in a group and arrows piled up at the target.

I posted a pic of how I have my QuikTune 3000s. http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/...964#post100964

Post Thanks / Like

here are the pics.

DSC05675.jpgDSC05676.jpg

i dont know how there can be fletching contact, i shoot one vane down and two vanes up.. the vanes shouldnt even know that there is a rest..

Sonny Thomas

Meanest bow I ever tackled was a Hoyt Command Cam bow. This pit bull bow would drive the nock down, rippling the bottom vane as it crushed into the cut off of a QuikTune 4000 (NAP's first drop rest). There problems were in effect. One the timing of the bow. Two, the draw cord was attched to the cable slide. Three, the prongs of the 4000 were too short (later corrected by NAP). Two problems were kind of easy to solve. The prongs were pulled out as far as they would go and still be tightened down on. The draw cord was re-adjusted to remove as much cable slide pull as possible. Timing was a ..... Yep, it was. My black fade to orange and yellow flames was outstanding after snyced and timed as per instructions from Hoyt benchman who knew these sweat heart monsters. This bow drove arrows down into the rest so that after a few shots it would not rippled the vanes, but start to tear them off.
    Done. Onward.

Your bow, isssues;
    Rest to bow looks good....

I set up a profile off your picture. The top edge of my pic is dead level to your arrow. I then ran 2 lines, one from top edge of block and one line to what could possibly be the clearance cut out in the block (not there to see). I then worked from the arrow and put in 2 more lines and a division line. Looks close, but unsure if clearance is the problem. All correct there shouldn't be contact even close as it looks. Powder test should prove...

If Cat or Nitro cams it would appear to be timing, bottom cam over riding the top cam. Can't see loop real well, but appears on the verge of a lazy ">", hook up point slightly down to arrow nock - possibly another indicator of timing. Limbs maxed out or equally backed off? Check.

Okay, all is a personal observation.

If limbs are maxed out or equally backed off and Cat or Nitro cams; I'd back off the draw stop and draw bow either on a draw board or have some one watch cables come to mods with slowly coming to full draw, don't force into mods. Thinking bottom will hit first. Perferred; Cable to top mod should lay in groove slightly before cable in bottom mod. Half twist will usually do.

Again, observation. You and bow there and us here.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sonny Thomas; 02-20-2013 at 11:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

@Sonny Thomas: thanks for all the effort!!

my bow has a single cam (fury) so i guess cam and draw stop sync is not so much the issue, i heard of timing problems with single cam bows though.
    i still have a little bit of wheel lean, but thats minimal..

i had the bow set with the -10 peg (~60#, 28" draw length) and the limbs 1/4 turn out each. i use 340 beman hunter arrows 28", 125gr points, so i thought i could be seriously overspined and set the bow to stnd peg (~70#).
    im not completely sure if the problem is solved..

is it even possible for a minimal spine problem to cause fletching contact with the nap quicktune and 1 vane down/ 2 up??

i have never done a powder test, but i will do it asap. btw paper tune shows a massive "tail-right" hole, even with 70#. -> overspine?? (papertuning... i dont trust it, i had excellent set ups which produced awful holes..)