Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wavy vanes - clearance problems?

Post Thanks / Like

@ Sonny Thomas: i set my spring tension like you said, thats a really cool tip!! maybe this will solve the problem, i will powder test again soon, arrow flight (tail right) looks better now!

i also narrowed my prongs a little bit, i think this could help as well.

here are pics of my cam setting, but i think it should be ok. with the stnd peg this should be 28" draw length or so.

DSC05689.JPGDSC05690.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

btw my fletching is slightly offset (not helical) and im unable to adjust my fletching jig (bohning), this thing is terrible.. maybe this could cause the contact!? i ran out of powder, but the last test after i set the spring tension still showed fletching contact.

paper tuner shows a perfect bullet hole now.. wtf? so i guess i shouldnt change the center shot adjustments and nock height?

i ordered arizona max hunting vanes and 2" blazers, just in case i cant get the 4" fletching working..

Post Thanks / Like

powder test with blazers shows good clearance.

Sonny Thomas

Default wavy vanes - clearance problems?

??? Bohning Tower fletching jig? If so, there shouldn't be a problem as earlier models were 2 degrees and later models 3 degrees. Only the Bohning Helix is different by having a true 3 degree offset for 2" vanes. It won't handle 4" vanes.

From the pictures of your arrows you do not have a overly offset vane. I'll set up a comparison pic. Your fletching shows something of 2 or 3 degrees. Mine is 5 degrees and I have no contact whatsoever.

I can't recall what, if any, offset degree the Arizona tower has. But! 2" Blazers have a higher profile the your 4" vanes.

I'd still perform all checks as something just isn't right. ??? Lower mounting position of rest and raise prongs to give same arrow height. Note position of my prong block and angle of prongs.... ???? Check/rule out; any residue towards the front of your riser shelf, like a skid mark or powder from arrow? What stabilizer?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sonny Thomas; 02-22-2013 at 08:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all the help, i found out whats wrong now!!

after i noticed that Sonny Thomas has no plastic tubes on his prong style rest, i took a closer look at mine and discovered that the left tube was deformed and worn (mainly on the inside). powder test showed fletching contact on the left side, so i removed the tubes and calibrated the prongs. -> no clearance problem anymore!!

thanks again for your help and effort!

Sonny Thomas

Default wavy vanes - clearance problems?

Good you found the problem. As thought, something not said or shown (reply #10). Happens.

Those plastic silence tubes for the prongs are a royal pain. First thing I do is remove them and I should have pointed that out. They wear before you know it and then problems occur and it's "what the heck is going on?". I think I posted pics of my bows with the QuikTune 3000s, no plastic covers on the prongs.

Back a bit; Setting the spring tension to give "float" makes for forgiveness. This is applical on all swing type prongs rests.
    Last edited by Sonny Thomas; 02-24-2013 at 08:15 AM.