Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone explain how moving draw stop messes up cam synchronization

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can someone explain how moving draw stop messes up cam synchronization

been messing with my onza trying to find the perfect draw length and let of combo...after moving the module to a half inch longer and then moving the draw stop to get it back to where it was with less let off, the am sync was off....so I adjusted the cables and got it sync...was at the range today and moved the stop a little and the arrows were hitting way off....pull it down on a bow hanger to only find the sync was out....i thought since the cams were slaved to each other that if the bottom cam was changed due to the draw stop, the top one would also adjust itself and maintain the sync...what gives???

Post Thanks / Like

You are correct, the cams are slaved and the draw stop doesn't affect the sync. I'm not sure how you're getting problems out of moving the stop...
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

great...something must be screwed upchecked one of the cables and the string for length and they were right on the money....attempting to fix it bu placing it on the draw board...drawing it to 28.5"....placed the draw stop at the limb and marked it...now i'm subtracting twists from each cable to try top retard each cam, but after 7 untwists , it doesnt seem to be getting any closer to the cam stops...any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if this will explain it, but I think I know what is going on.

The draw stop is only on the bottom cam.

When you draw back your bow, the bottom cam stops but the top cam will keep advancing to the bottom of the valley. Lengthen the draw lenght about .5".

Watch the cams closely and draw very slowly, mark your cams in 1/4" increments with a pencil and as you draw the bow watch as to where and when they go out of sync. I think you will see they are synced up until the very end.

I can't see any other way that just moving the draw stop alone could make a difference in cam sync.

You may need to resync the cams now because of the adjustments you already made to them. Sync up the cams without a draw stop in place at all. You really do not need a draw stop, just find a good solid anchor point first. Then set the draw stop to match your anchor point.
    Last edited by Mike G; 03-01-2013 at 02:37 PM. Reason: added the last 4 sentences.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike...the cams are not out of sync really...they just are not coming to the draw stops when use the draw stop to stop the rotation at 28.8 with the module set on 28.5.....almost like the 28.5" module setting is really 29"

Post Thanks / Like

You sure you have them mods on the correct number for the draw you are looking for?
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

don't get caught up on which number the draw length modules are set at, just set them so that a comination of draw stop and module setting feels comfortable to you and isn't over-rotating past the flat cable stops....

The draw length can be effected by any comination of this, as well as the length of the cables (slightly) and the length of the shoot string (moderately).
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Post Thanks / Like

the modules go from 27.5 to 30.5 in half inch increments an I have it on #3..so it should be 28.5"

Post Thanks / Like

well, put the 7 twists back in both cables and they were close...top cam was a little advanced...fixed that with 2.5 added twists....then changed the module to the #2 hole and ended up with 28 3/4" DL, which might work for me.....ATA ends up being 33.5" so its 1/4" over....should i worry about that since the limbs are not maxed out and is this close enough?

Post Thanks / Like

depends on how far out they are. Typically you want to measure ATA and Brace when the bow is fully maxed out to be in spec, as you back out the limb bolts a lot of things change. So your ATA being a little off is not that big a deal. Although usually when you let out the bolts your ATA goes down not up, and your draw length gets longer...