Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A question for Nitro Cam users

Post Thanks / Like

Default A question for Nitro Cam users

I have a new nemesis and it came with the 3S cams...my question is; The 3L cams set at 27.5" (shortest post on the module) and the 3S cam set at 27.5" mmiddle of the module...which setup will be faster? or will the speed be the same?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davik View Post
    I have a new nemesis and it came with the 3S cams...my question is; The 3L cams set at 27.5" (shortest post on the module) and the 3S cam set at 27.5" mmiddle of the module...which setup will be faster? or will the speed be the same?
    I believe the 3l cams lowest setting is 28.
    Martin x-200 unsure of year
    2011 Mathews z7magnum
    2012 Mathews z7magnum
    2014 Mathews ChillR (on order)

Post Thanks / Like

No...the 3L's go to 27.5...I have both on different bows, and the 3L cam is 27.5 to 30.5 and the 3S cams are 25.5 to 28.5

Sonny Thomas

Default A question for Nitro Cam users

Only true way is to shoot them. On different bows presents other issues to consider. Both Nemesis then they should be close.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Thomas View Post
    Only true way is to shoot them. On different bows presents other issues to consider. Both Nemesis then they should be close.
    Close isnt the problem...I'm trying t figure out how close...if there's an advantage to going with the bigger cams on this nemesis, I'll change, but if there's no difference then I won't...I know the smaller cams made a poundage difference on this bow, which equates into speed, I just don't want to have to spring for new cams, etc unless the difference is appreciable. Right now, I'm pulling 60 pounds to get the same speed as I do on the Onza (bigger cams) at 54 pounds...

Post Thanks / Like

The large cam is naturally going to give you more speed for a given draw length and weight. I haven't seen a 2013 bow yet, but I assume they have changed the designation of the cams. What was once a 2.0 cam must be the large one (L) and 1.5 is now the small one (S). I have no idea what the number 3 means.
    However, the larger cam will give more leverage to roll it over so the rule of thumb is that the draw weight of your limbs will drop ahout 10# from what it is now. So if your bow is maxed at 60# then it will drop to 50# or there abouts. In other words you probably have to change limbs, too.

Ball park figure for the new cams is $300. New limbs will be about $150. Then you need a longer string (cables will work). Now ask yourself if a gain of about 10-12 fps is worth upwards of $475.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

A few things you need to consider in the differences between bow structure and set up;

the Nemesis has a longer ATA, which also equates to more string weight and slightly slower speeds than the Onza if everything else is the same, its just physics.

Other things to consider are the brace heights, is the Onza's brace shorter than your Nemesis? are they the same? A shorter brace will also give you slightly faster speeds as the the string has more time to inflect power and momentum into the arrow.

Are your let off amounts the same on the bows? The way to tell is to measure your hold weight at full draw, subtract that from the max poundage of the bow as it is currently set up, then divide that number by the max draw weight. A higher let off percentage will give you slower speeds.

Lastly is add ons; are the strings setup the same? Different peeps, d-loops, silencers, etc., along with more or less serving for your centers all have different weights. The more weight on the string the slower your speed will be.

In other words there are a lot of factors to speed, even if you were comparing a Nemesis to a Nemesis (which you are not) how they are set up can give you completely different results.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Default Okay

Bfisher answered my question...I need to return the bow to martin and get the right limbs and cams on it...thanks

Post Thanks / Like

No worries Davik, one way or another, someone on here always has the right answer... Oh and welcome to forum if I haven't said so already.

And Fisher, I believe that the 3 designation on the new cams just means Nitro 3, which is what the catalog is calling them this year, as opposed to the Nitro 2.0 from before. Other than shaving some weight by skeletonizing them like they did with the Hybrix version, I don't really see much of a difference in overall design....
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

joelc

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    The large cam is naturally going to give you more speed for a given draw length and weight. I haven't seen a 2013 bow yet, but I assume they have changed the designation of the cams. What was once a 2.0 cam must be the large one (L) and 1.5 is now the small one (S). I have no idea what the number 3 means.
    However, the larger cam will give more leverage to roll it over so the rule of thumb is that the draw weight of your limbs will drop ahout 10# from what it is now. So if your bow is maxed at 60# then it will drop to 50# or there abouts. In other words you probably have to change limbs, too.

Ball park figure for the new cams is $300. New limbs will be about $150. Then you need a longer string (cables will work). Now ask yourself if a gain of about 10-12 fps is worth upwards of $475.
    Quote Originally Posted by davik View Post
    Bfisher answered my question...I need to return the bow to martin and get the right limbs and cams on it...thanks
    We've always seen the opposite...smaller cams tend to give better speed. In this case you'd be splitting hairs. The speed increase would be nominal and hardly worth the significant investment in new cams, string and limbs. Despite what any printed material may say our dual cam bows will all shoot at approx. the same fps. It is simply not worth the money for 2-3 fps. As I explained on the phone to davik...the Onza will ALWAYS be the more efficient bow. There is nothing we can do here a the factory to change that.
    Last edited by joelc; 03-06-2013 at 08:59 AM.