I have a girl friend according to my wife. I'm 65 and she will soon be 10. Seriously, she's a girl I've been coaching for about 6 months. Her parents asked me to help her and she impressed me rigt from the start. She listens. When I instruct her she looks right into my eyes and really pays attention. So far all our work (fun) has been shooting a Vegas face and indoors.

This winter she decided she wanted to shoot in our league, traveling from club to club. She doesn't shoot what some would consider top scores---yet. At her first shoot 6 weeks ago she shot a 265. She wants to get better so we've really been hammering the mental game and playing with slight changes in her form. Dividends are becoming apparent. She now averages about 385 and had a goal of 400, which she has hit twice with a 411 and 409. This much improvement in just a mere 5 or 6 weeks.

At one shoot a couple weeks ago her dad was there (mom and dad are divorced). He's a new shooter and only interested in bow hunting. He was all over her case about some of the bad shots she makes. Result??? Back to 265. Up to that point I hadn't been with her at league shoots. That has changed. I surprised her by showing up at her shoot last week. Her hug and smile is all the payment I need. I talked with her dad judiciously about lightening up on her and to encourage her. I think he saw my point. Afterall, she's just a little girl---9 years old.

I stayed with her, right behind her at the shooting line poking little whispers of instruction and encouragement. Thing like "Aim the bow, aim the bow, aim the bow. Squeeze the release. Now focus, focus, focus." Real quietly, and it works. Yes, she still makes a bad shot once in a while, but I never get on her about it. She looks back at me and I tell her to forget it; that she can shoot the next arrow correctly. The only arrow that counts is the one in the bow.

OK, I'm going on too long. Point is? I love helping kids. I love passing on some of what I've learned over the decades. Call it my Legacy, if you will.

Thanks for listening.

Barry