Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanting to get a new recurve.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wanting to get a new recurve.

Hello everyone, I been looking at the traditional bow line up and haven't been able to decide on which bow to get. I like the mamba but it states only up to 28" DL or am I wrong? But I also like the super diablo. My DL is 29" and I want max pounds on my bow due to hunting. Price is an issue and I'm starting my 16 year old son with the jaguar take down soon. If anyone has any experience with either I'd appreciate some input.

I grew up with a Kodiak recurve my dad gave me along time ago. I loved that bow but now I want to get a Martin. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

From my experience with the takedowns from Martin I would have rather bought a used recurve to start out with I recommend watching classifieds for a good used recurve for your son and I feel you can't go wrong with either the mamba or diablo you can draw past 28 but the poundage will go up about 3 pounds per inch.
    Martin x-200 unsure of year
    2011 Mathews z7magnum
    2012 Mathews z7magnum
    2014 Mathews ChillR (on order)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WildWilt15 View Post
    From my experience with the takedowns from Martin I would have rather bought a used recurve to start out with I recommend watching classifieds for a good used recurve for your son and I feel you can't go wrong with either the mamba or diablo you can draw past 28 but the poundage will go up about 3 pounds per inch.
    I haven't looked in the classifieds, there is takedown at a cabelas in my area for 149.99, I thought it wasn't to bad but may find one cheaper. I think I may go with the mamba due to a shorter amo and if I can pull an inch more then 28" dl @ 60-65# I'm good with that, thanks Wildwilt15.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alienshooter View Post
    I haven't looked in the classifieds, there is takedown at a cabelas in my area for 149.99, I thought it wasn't to bad but may find one cheaper. I think I may go with the mamba due to a shorter amo and if I can pull an inch more then 28" dl @ 60-65# I'm good with that, thanks Wildwilt15.
    Might want to reconcider that draw weight, a 60-65 recurve drawn to 29" is going to have you holding 62-68 lbs, much tougher than it sounds. As for a used bow, I'd watch the Ebay listing for recurves, lots of name brand bows avaible for less than a C note.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Recurve-/208...&_sop=10&_sc=1
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    Might want to reconcider that draw weight, a 60-65 recurve drawn to 29" is going to have you holding 62-68 lbs, much tougher than it sounds. As for a used bow, I'd watch the Ebay listing for recurves, lots of name brand bows avaible for less than a C note.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Recurve-/208...&_sop=10&_sc=1
    I think your right on the weight, I was thinking about it last night. My dads Kodiak recurve I grew up on was a 55# I never held it much just pulled then shot, bare in mind I was 13 then now I'm 39 lol. As I'm getting older and aging I was thinking 50-60# would be better for me. And I will check into used bows if not I'll buy new to keep for years. Thanks elkslayer4x5.

Post Thanks / Like

No matter what age you are 60# is still a lot for a traditional bow. I'd like to comment on the draw length question. Traditional (longbow and recurve) bows are not limited to a certain draw length such as 28". The draw length they list is rated at 28". You can draw one shorter or longer, but the draw weight will be 2-3# less or more perinch, depending on which way you are varying from the rated 28". Keep in mind that usually a longer bow will shoot (cast) an arrow faster for a given draw weight and will not stack up as quickly in reaching a certain draw weight.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    No matter what age you are 60# is still a lot for a traditional bow. I'd like to comment on the draw length question. Traditional (longbow and recurve) bows are not limited to a certain draw length such as 28". The draw length they list is rated at 28". You can draw one shorter or longer, but the draw weight will be 2-3# less or more perinch, depending on which way you are varying from the rated 28". Keep in mind that usually a longer bow will shoot (cast) an arrow faster for a given draw weight and will not stack up as quickly in reaching a certain draw weight.
    The weight my dad pulled was 55# thats what he liked. When I was younger I was able to pull it quick not hold it as he once did but I been wondering what weight 55 or up to 65? I thank all who is helping me on this its good to get help from more experienced shooters. I may get 55 or 60# and knowing that traditional bows are not limited to draw lengths helps even more (mamba). I was thinking the diablo but the mamba is a little shorter, I'll be hunting with this bow so manuvering around the woods is priority. I think both the ones I'm debating on or any of the martin traditionals will be able to do what I want. It comes down to which one now but all the bows look so nice. But its not looks I'm after lol, thanks bfisher help is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

If price is an issue and you are a little uncertain about DW, you really won't go wrong with the Jaguar (or even a Saber) you're considering for your son. With a TD you can have extra limbs ($75/pr) in different weights. I don't know if there is much difference between the Jaguar and the Saber except the extra dampening and I don't find the Jaguar needs any extra dampening. It's smooth and shock-free right out of the box. Add some Limb Saver String Leeches and maybe some Stiktamers (@ 3Rivers) or Bow Hush (@ bowhush) and you're set to hunt.

mike
    Mike Tichenor - President Deep River Bowmen
    Martin Jaguar - Trad Tech Titan - Hoyt Elan

Post Thanks / Like

Drawing 55 to 65# may not be a problem, but learning to shoot with proper form will be nearly impossible or at the least very difficult. I shot recurves and longbows as a youth over 25 years ago, then switched to compounds(now shooting them at 65 lbs). Got the recurve bug a couple years ago and started looking into it, seems many knowledgable shooters were recommending to start out light and work your way up. I started shooting a vintage Bear that is 28# @ 28" a year ago and I'm glad I did, was able to pick things up quickly; waiting for the snow to melt so I can tune arrows for my 40# X-200, then 45# hunter to start hunting with eventually. One thing I have noticed while watching the auctions for bows, lots of complete setups sold that have been used very little, usually with higher poundage bows.

As an excellent source of information I suggest the following book to anyone intersted in shooting traditional bows: http://www.shootingthestickbow.com/
    Recurves: 40lb X-200, 45 & 50lb Hunters, 45lb Mamba

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend a lightweight bow to work on your form, it would be difficult starting out with a 50# recurve. I shoot a 72# compound, and a 40# @ 28" recurve. Think about your holding weight, 72# compound at 80% letoff, holding 14# vs. my 40# @ 28" drawn to 31" and holding 48#, that's over 3X the holding weight!

I would look for a 35# bow, at least 60" long, and start out with that. Once you begin to develop your strength and form, then you can look at a heavier bow. I think you will have a much better experiance starting light!

Good Luck!