Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: checkin into a new sight

Post Thanks / Like

Nice sight,nice bright pins.I have one and the only problem I had was the Tru Touch coating they put on them makes it hard to move your pins precisely,so I scraped off the coating around the screws for the pin adjustment.They slide alot easier with it removed.
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X

Post Thanks / Like

Ooooo, good call, great advice,
    thank you
    mac
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to
    The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life

'96 Firecat, '66 Herters

Sonny Thomas

Default checkin into a new sight

Just got back on line 30 minutes ago or so. Railroad company drilled through main ATT phone line and took out the whole city of Lewistown and my provider.

Here's the Sure Loc I have on hand at the archery shop. Light kit is optional and can be had through Sure Loc
    I opened the package for pics. Sight is priced just short of $100.00. I'd reduce, but shipping would bring it to $85.00.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sonny Thomas

Man! Looked up the price on the Sure Loc pin sight. Lancaster shows it for $130.00! Boss must have missed marked it. Tough. I had a customer in and wants it. I priced it to him for $72.00. No tax and of shipping not involved.

Still, I gave the Sure Loc a good going over. The micro windage adjustment is a nice feature. The camo is okay. The length of the fiber optic pins make the pins show nicely.

And then the down side; I wouldn't give it the time of day for the vertical adjustment set up.
    There is plenty of adjustment, but loosening the 2 screws and no grid marks to go by.
    And there is enough play if you were to make a adjustment you might have to tweak the horizontal adjustment.
    The third axis adjustment is only for the bubble and kind of dumb as all the way in gives parallel to the sight and then barely 1/8" movement fully out.

And the Crash; Went to put it together for a customer and of all things the top row of holes weren't tapped. So a trip to town and a $2.86 tap to correct. All went well tapping the 4 holes, but one screw that holds the end cap of the windage screw had to be removed to tap one hole deep enough. This would be the 1st pic, cap screw left of tightening knob.

I'd rate the thing, but profanity isn't allowed in here.
    Last edited by Sonny Thomas; 03-16-2013 at 07:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Thomas View Post
    And the Crash; Went to put it together for a customer and of all things the top row of holes weren't tapped. So a trip to town and a $2.86 tap to correct. All went well tapping the 4 holes, but one screw that holds the end cap of the windage screw had to be removed to tap one hole deep enough. This would be the 1st pic, cap screw left of tightening knob.

I'd rate the thing, but profanity isn't allowed in here.
    Hate to say this but the oversight in not taping the holes is so indicative of the work ethnic today and the lack of pride in production. From the USA to China, sloppy, sloppy, sloppy.
    Martin Black Panther - Martin Cougar III Magnum
    Rytera Scepter V - Martin Diablo - 2 @ Rytera Seeker

"I will make My arrows drunk with blood...” Deuteronomy 32:42a (HCSB)
    I am an Alien, I am in this world but I am not of this world, have mercy. Tell the Truth and shame the Devil.
    http://theprayeroftheday.com

Post Thanks / Like

Truglo makes a great sight. Figure they made sight for the Army and still do. The price is good, I have two five pine with the red pin in the middle. Mac with four pins what yards on the pins will you use.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2014 Mathews Creed
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

LOL, well, ... i just shot it for the first time since I put Bill's string on it, my peep needs to be adjusted and served in. it shot a "little" high, at 30 yards hit solid object ( tree) and bent the arrow, but flew straight and level at that distance with very little drop.
    SO .. I'm pretty sure I'm going with a 0-25 maybe 30 ( depending on how it acts), 35 or 40, 50, 60, yard pins and I don't know how it acts at 60 yards yet, haven't tried it yet, the accra on it has HUGE pins and I can't really see the target at 60, well the bullseye anyway. needs more shooting to be sure.
    I'm in the middle of clearing property to set up my range, I have the room now just shifting things around, and marking distance
    Mac
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to

'96 Firecat, '66 Herters

Sonny Thomas

It has never bothered me of pins being too big. My hunting rig has .040" pins and no issues. I've connected on deer out to a measured 36 yards with pin point accuracy.
    The scream today is .019" and getting more of hearing of .010". I competed with .029" pins for years and never felt shorted on accuracy or worried about seeing the bull's eye. However, I was of the stack 'em up, making a figure 8 with my pin and bull's eye. Worked great out to 80 yards. Learn to shoot this type sighting dots you can barely see are pretty easy to hit. Now, I sighted in using the correct size bull's eye for each distance of Field and Hunter. Figure 8 set and my arrow hit center of the bull's eye. Only later did I switch to centering my pin to the target.

It was just last year I started using a .019" pin and had some difficulty seeing the pin - needed extra length to gather light. I also have a light for the housing now, but haven't needed it (hate the blue cast lights today). Can't really say it's better.

.010" diameter may be sort of challenging...for me. I'm not going to find out.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL,
    oh believe me sonny, I understand, thank God the left eye is the one that's real bad. right is getting there. the .040's are on it now, the xs carbon has the .019's, I've looked for a while and think with the long fibers to collect light they will be pretty good.
    .029 would be better if I could find a set in the new sights, but nothing strikes my fancy for the 40-50 dollar mark,plus it's not actually costing me anything I'm using good boy points from work at a dollar a point, .. yeah not gonna complain.
    Last edited by macflash; 03-19-2013 at 08:56 PM.

'96 Firecat, '66 Herters