Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pantera cam stop placement

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pantera cam stop placement

Hello all,

I just purchased a 2012 Pantera Magnum with 70# limbs, Fury XT cam. Very nice bow! The only adjustments I have made to the bow are setting the draw length module to #3, which I believe is 29.5", and taking 2 turns off the limb bolts to reduce the poundage to roughly 65 (factory tag noted it was set at 71#).

As I have adjusted the draw length, the cam stop needs to be adjusted as well, but I'm not exactly sure where? I have read other posts on this, but it kinda seems unclear. If I loosen the draw stop on the cam, and draw the bow back, how do I know I have reached full draw for the 29.5" module setting when there is nothing there to stop the draw? It is possible that I could overdraw / underdraw a bit right?

Is there some way I can tell I have reached full draw for a particular draw length setting by looking at the string / cables on the cam when the bow is drawn, or perhaps some other method? I don't want to set the stop where I am overdrawing or underdrawing the bow. I don't have a draw board, but do have a hanging hook I could draw the bow with by pulling down.

This is my ony gripe about the bow, I wish there were correlating marks on the cam to adjust the stop based on the draw length setting. From what I have read, some folks adjust the stop back and forth a little off the "full draw" spot, but a factory draw stop setting for each draw length setting would be helpful. Maybe I am clueless on this, if so, I would appreciate your advice

Thanks!

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think there is any particular setting. I haven't had the opportunity to play with the FXT cam. Try setting the draw stop so it sits at the bottom edge of the limb( roughly 5 o'clock position) and go from there. Moving it towards the bow to - position will decrease let-off(less valley), moving it towards the + will increase the let-off/valley.

That will get you started. There are a few guys on here with the FXT. Hopefully they'll chime in soon.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing to be careful of, as far as I've been able to tell, is that you need to set your draw stop so that the cam doesn't over-rotate and let the cable press against the axle. If you don't watch it, the cable will be the unfortunate victim of a nasty wear point.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

wabbit, that's the issue: I don't know when the cam is starting to be overdrawn. There has to be some way of knowing by how the stings / cables are in relation to the cam / module. Certainly there has to be a way to tell or everyone is guessing? Do the settings on the Fury XT cam correlate to AMO draw length standards? If so then I guess I could construct a draw board and draw the bow back 27.75" from the pivot point on the grip which would correlate with a 29.5" draw length? I guess this would be semi accurate?

Post Thanks / Like

The way that I set the draw stop on my Fury XT cams was to set the draw module first as you have done.

I then removed the draw stop completely from the bow.

I had a friend mark on the cam with a sharpy along the limb by the piece of foam while I was at full draw and anchored.

I then put the draw stop back on with the edge of it at that mark.

I then drew my bow back again and had my friend watch to make sure that the string layed along the flat spot of the module, not bending past it, which you will be able to feel anyways.

When you over draw you will notice that the let off no longer is dropping but rising. Without the draw stop you can feel the bottom of the valley. If you want less let off you set the draw stop so that your draw will stop before the bottom of the valley. This will gain you a few extra fps depending on how you set it. There is approximately 3 to 5 fps gained from 80% to 65% depending on the bow and setup.

Not sure if it's the right way but it worked for me.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Mike nailed it; these cams are so adjustable, the only way to make sure you aren't over drawing is to either put it on a drawboard or have a friend watch... you'll be able to visually tell because once the cable contacts the axle, the string will start to bend around it and won't be a straight line anymore. If you really pay attention you can feel it, but my buddies bow was barely making contact and we didn't realize it until he started to see the serving wear...
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, when you say flat spot in the "module" are you refering to the green draw adjustment module or the inside part of the cam that looks like an "L" that the string rotates around? The green draw adjustment module on my cam is curved and has no flat spot as you refered to, so I am confused.

I made a draw board this afternoon and drew the bow back to 27.75" from the pivot point on the grip and set the stop, thinking this would be very close to the AMO draw length of 29.5" that he draw adjustment is set on. When I drew the bow, it seems there is very little valley between peak weight and the wall. I can take a picture of what the cam looks like at the 27.75" mark as noted above and post it if that would help someone tell me if the cam looks overdrawn / under drawn. Sorry for these stupid questions guys, I'm learning, this is my first single cam bow.

Thanks again for all your replies!

Post Thanks / Like

PJV, there's the beauty of these cams, you don't like the valley, you can change it. If the valley is too narrow, you can move the module to a shorter position, and then move the draw stop to compensate for the change. This will lengthen the valley out and lower your hold weight.

The older cams were all module or cam specific for both draw length and let-off. With these there is a wide range of possible settings all without major change ups.

Post Thanks / Like

PJV,

You are correct. I made that a bit confusing.

The cable will travel around the inner cam and will lay along a flat spot at full draw.

I hope this doesn't confuse you more. The easiest way is to have someone draw the bow back slowly and watch as the string comes around the cam.

I am fortunate that my brother and my hunting buddy are about the same size as me and my friend is a lefty like me. Our draw lengths are all the same, or very close. My brother is actually one of those people that does some things right handed and some things left handed, but was right eye dominant. Hence forth, he is the odd ball in our group of lefties.

Sorry about the confusion.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike G; 03-12-2013 at 03:18 PM. Reason: tried to explain from memory, then went and looked at bow

Post Thanks / Like

PJV, please take a picture if you can.

I wish I would have taken a picture of my buddies bow when we set his up, that would help tremendously on this forum and I will try to remember to do that next time we are out shooting.

This question actually comes up alot.

Mike