Thread: Richard Batdorf Joins Martin Archery as Director of R&D

Super Moderator FishingandHuntingUSA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Richard Batdorf Joins Martin Archery as Director of R&D

Walla Walla, WA - May 5, 2014: Martin Archery announced today that Richard Batdorf, owner of Xtreme Archery, has joined the Martin Archery research and design team as Director of R&D. Richard spent nearly 20 years in the industry with Xtreme Archery, Winchester Archery, Ben Pearson Archery, and Newberry Bows as Design Engineer and Director of Research & Development.

He has served as a patent advisor, CNC programmer, and has designed both compound bows along with crossbows for over 20 years. He has developed some of the best cam designs in the industry. He currently owns the 2 Track Cam Patent "US #8220446". Along with patents he has a great track record of decreasing warranty issues at his previous organizations.

Bob Peck, Director of Sales & Marketing at Diversitec commented, "After 20+ years in the archery industry one fully understands just how small the industry is. Reputation is everything and Richard has a great reputation for innovation and engineering skills. As a holder of multiple patents and a long list of accomplishments it is a pleasure to serve with Richard and watch his designs go from drawing board to prototype to in-the-field."

Richard is excited to be a part of one of the oldest and most recognizable brands in the industry. He plans to take Martin Archery to the next level in Design and Research. Martin Archery has some great designs and patents that he will be able to take to the next level. He is excited about the platform he has to build from to help Martin Archery become the leader in Design & Research.

In his new role as Design Engineer, Richard will lead the design team to create the best line-up that Martin Archery has ever seen. Richard is a great addition to the impressive management team that has been recently put into place to revitalize the company with innovation, delivery, and performance.

"I am extremely excited to announce the hiring of Richard. After speaking with several candidates, I felt confident that Richard was not only the best in terms of design but also the best fit for Martin. He brings a passion for archery, a history of excellence and a fresh perspective to Martin," said Lance Irving, Chief Sales and Marketing Officer.

Rich Weatherford, Martin Archery's CEO, commented, "We are looking forward to having Richard lead the execution of our compound bows to the next level. He has a great reputation of technical innovations and patent designs that will lead the charge for our 2015 release."
    - See more at: http://www.archerywire.com/releases/....qHDHxVOA.dpuf

2. Likes CLT Bluesman, JPR79, Arrow Splitter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh snap!
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't Richard with High Country recently as well?

Post Thanks / Like

My only hope is that this doesn't bring "clones" of all the previous models that had been designed as he bounced around. I think Martin has something going for them as far as their design is concerned, I hope this move will put some in the driver's seat to improve on those items and not complete retool the entire lineup to past HCA, Winchester, Pearson, New Breed designs. He obviously knows what he is doing and brings a wealth of knowledge to the company, just hope it is utilized in the proper fashion.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Super Moderator FishingandHuntingUSA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That is the problem when ever you bring in some one new, they have in their mind their own ideas and ones over time that have worked for them.
    I would imagine they will have some of his influence and hope also some of the Martin influence. We can only wait and see what they come up with.
    He does have a wealth of knowledge and I am sure what ever they do it will live up to the Martin name.

Post Thanks / Like

Well one can only hope Martin stops going the way of all the other bow componies, dropping finger bows.
    Hoyt is the only company that still build a true finger bow.
    The Shadowcat was the most awesome finger bow on the market and they dropped it and brought out the Septer V.
    Not to say the Septer V isn't an awesome fingers bow because it is.
    I know the market for fingers bows is down, but with all the new people starting to shoot recurves in JOAD and as they get older alot want to shoot compounds with no sights and fingers.
    If Martin want to be the market leader with a finger bow they would listen to people that shoot fingers bows.
    Bring back a Shadowcat with a solid riser and a ATA of 46-48"
    Even if the Seper V was redone to give it a 44" ATA it would be the best fingers bow on the market.

Don.
    Last edited by Don B; 06-13-2014 at 09:56 AM.
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    I Shoot a 2012-SepterV and a 2011-Shadowcat
    I shoot Bowhunter, not barebow--fingers non-sights.
    Enter-ZESTY at checkout at Deer Crossing Archery- http://deercrossingarchery.com/
    For a 10% discount on all products, other than ECO Hunter shafts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don B View Post
    Well one can only hope Martin stops going the way of all the other bow companies, dropping finger bows.
    Hoyt is the only company that still build a true finger bow.
    The Shadowcat was the most awesome finger bow on the market and they dropped it and brought out the Septer V.
    Not to say the Septer V isn't an awesome fingers bow because it is.
    I know the market for fingers bows is down, but with all the new people starting to shoot recurves in JOAD and as they get older alot want to shoot compounds with no sights and fingers.
    If Martin want to be the market leader with a finger bow they would listen to people that shoot fingers bows.
    Bring back a Shadowcat with a solid riser and a ATA of 46-48"
    Even if the Seper V was redone to give it a 44" ATA it would be the best fingers bow on the market.

Don.
    Stop teasing me with the crazy dreams... a 44" Scepter?.....

Never even seen a Shadowcat, would love to try one!!!! Although a 3 piece riser always sounded a bit odd to me.

As for the new guy, impressive resume. Time will tell the rest.
    Durandal
    Scepter V
    53.4 # 29.5 DL
    Victory HV Arrows
    Finger Shooter "Instinctive"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Durandal View Post

Never even seen a Shadowcat, would love to try one!!!! Although a 3 piece riser always sounded a bit odd to me.
    Although it sounds odd, the 3 piece riser was no problem, as they were epoxied and pinned in place, they did remain solid.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

10. Thanks wscywabbit, Arrow Splitter thanked for this post
    Likes wscywabbit, Arrow Splitter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Durandal View Post

I had 3 Shadowcats. A first run 2010 Shadowcat with the silkiest paint job you laid hands on - 41 1/2" ata - long enough for any finger shooter. A misalignment problem allowed a shift of the upper part of the riser, but held rock solid and it shot great. My 2nd 2010 Shadowcat, another 41 1/2" ata, had the much nicer contoured grip. I forget, but 6 or 7 or 8 times I shot high overall with the bow at club 3D, high overall in the only ASA DAIR Indoor Qualifier in the state of Illinois and placed 3rd in 2011 ASA State Championship. The last Shadowcat was a 2011 with 41 1/4" ata and it also had me shoot a few high overalls and place 3rd in the 2012 ASA State Championship.
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself

Post Thanks / Like

I am excited!! His resume seems impressive. I am sure he will look at the Martin designs and put his twist on them. He probably cannot wait to take the Martin designs and tweak them. He has probably looked at Martin from a distance and said "Man, I wish I had access to those patents and designs" Now he does. This is such a great move. Martin can only get better. Innovation is the key to marketing and creating buzz. This move can only do that! I am stoked for sure.
    2007 Slayer, 55#, Nitrous C, Bodoodle rest, Limbsaver sight, Kwikee Kwiver 3 arrow, Aka "The Man in Black"
    1981 Martin Cougar II MT-6, 60#, Whisker Biscuit, Fuse sight. Kwikee Kwiver
    1984 Browning Deluxe Nomad II XL, 50#, Browning Rack & Pinion sight, Flipper II rest. Kwikee Kwiver