Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From trigger to hinge release

Post Thanks / Like

Default From trigger to hinge release

bought a hinge release 4 months ago. now im in the the mid of cconverting to hinge release.

the problem i had now is the arrow grouping is mess up with hinge release and trigger release.

Am i on the wrong track? or should i proceed with hinge release and forget the trigger release. Or go back to trigger.

i feel like in middle of no way now.

advice, suggestions, opinion and past experience please share to sort my problem.

thanks...
    2014 Alien Nitro , Sureloc Challenger + Viper Scope, Trophy Ridge Revolution, Easton Carbon One 500, Doinker Elite Supreme, Carter 2 Special.

Sonny Thomas

Default From trigger to hinge release

In no particular order;

There are problems with switching to hinge some don't understand. First, learning back tension and the proper form to execute it. Basically, proper form, but the reality check of having the release arm in position so the pivot point is well present. Here, the release arm needs position so the release elbow can swing back. Okay, the elbow doesn't swing all that much, a fraction of a inch, but is enough to rotate the hand to fire the release easily. Elbow out and nothing goes right. The release is hard to fire and arrows don't go where you want them.

Trying to learn the hinge process and having the bow set for a index release sometimes does not go well. By and large something has to change and mostly it's the height of the peep. Sure, the peep might look right, but most people bend and bend you loose form.

Draw length is also a issue. I believe Barry will say the same. You will find over all draw length vastly more important when using a hinge release.

Another issue of learning the hinge is it's better to start with a low poundage bow. Once learned you then add draw weight that is suitable to you.

I have a couple of links and a write up for back tension and setting of to get started...if you wish.

Post Thanks / Like

Sonny got it right about me. People hardly ever take the time and effort to adjut their bows for optimum draw length. They don't know how important a 1/4" or 1/8" difference can make or just don't want to take the time to learn. When you pick up a BT release it does become more critical. 1/2" increments just won't cut it any more. You may have to twist cables and/or strings to get down to the last 1/8" that will help you trigger that hinge.

He also makes a good suggestion about lowering draw weight to learn back tension. I would also say that if possible shooting less letoff can help too. Less peak weight but till adequate holding weight to make you work your back muscles more.

I'll add that if you are intent on learning a hinge then you must set your mind to it and put away all the trigger releases. BT is something that may take a long time to figure out, maybe months or years, but the results are ofen very satisfying. You can also expect your scores (groups) to be worse for some time, but believe me, it can be rewarding in the long run.

Larry Wise authored a good book discussing back tension called "Core Archery".
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

i made some adjustment twisting the cable.

incredibly the grouping start picking up.

i now only shoot ard 46lb. also make the trigger more sensitive.

where the shot take off much easier and faster without waiting so long.

just got my new string set from Hutch, Just put on, yet to try out.

you two are right. such a small adjustment on the draw lenght really majes the day.
    2014 Alien Nitro , Sureloc Challenger + Viper Scope, Trophy Ridge Revolution, Easton Carbon One 500, Doinker Elite Supreme, Carter 2 Special.

Sonny Thomas

Default trigger to hinge release

If you're doing well, you may find you need to set the hinge colder, harder to go off and this do to you getting use to back tension and the hinge release. Get well acquainted with the hinge before cranking anything. What I mean is, shooting a target out in front of you on flat ground is one thing. Shooting up and down hill is another and so is one being off balance, footing wise, like shooting across a hillside. Things under control then you can add draw weight.

Post Thanks / Like

Noted. with thanks....

i will try give myself say 2 months from now, dont touch the trigger release, and try to get it done right.

Post Thanks / Like

Picked up a Scott longhorn pro this year absolutely love it for indoor haven't played with it outside yet farthest I've shot was 25 yards and my shooting has improved greatly.
    Martin x-200 unsure of year
    2011 Mathews z7magnum
    2012 Mathews z7magnum
    2014 Mathews ChillR (on order)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WildWilt15 View Post
    Picked up a Scott longhorn pro this year absolutely love it for indoor haven't played with it outside yet farthest I've shot was 25 yards and my shooting has improved greatly.
    great to hear that, at least another proven improvement, so im encouraged now... hahaha...

Post Thanks / Like

Well, i wan to dig out the Old Thread started by myself switch from trigger release to hinge.

UPDATE as at 16th June 2014. (I stopped shooting in May 2013, due to the elbow injury (tennis elbow), and work outstation.)

after months using the hinge release, i did injured by bow arm elbow. the sudden release of the hinge release just made my arm swing to further left. One incident, my left arm elbow joint just sounded and stopped shooting nearly a year.

Well, i did not go back to trigger release nor hinge release after injuring myself. i end up shooting the Carter Thumb release.
    SOmehow, compare to years back when i use trigger, the consistancy of result is not as good as i used to be.
    But im picking up some improvement over weeks of shooting now.
    HOWEVER, i reliaze that i like to punch the thumb trigger.
    CUrrent solution for this now, is i set the trigger Feather light. Means slight touch from the thumb, the release will goes off. Seems working for the first couple of attempt. Somehow, the thumb gets harder each time. AND now, i guess i will still punch the thumb trigger, instead of a sweet and smooth squeeze.

How to overcome this?? Mental training?

I really miss the day i use trigger release with nice and consistant result.
    (Last resort, i will go back to trigger release. Who knows this trigger release really meant for me... right?)

OHYA... would like to advice guys and gals. Remember to do some simple warm up before doing some serious shoot out training.
    one of the reason could cause from no proper warm ups.
    Coaches always say warm up, before start training, the words so true to apply on me now.
    I had my right elbow injured... This time due to some serious jigging (fishing season, pass 2 months)
    Although its pain, i still manage to shoot my 50lb bow but only for 4 or 5 sets and call it a day.

Post Thanks / Like

How old are you? You must have a pretty serious injury. I'm 65 and still pulling 55 pounds and actually quite easily. If I warm up it's to get all going in the right direction - like my first shots might be just blank baling to ensure correct form throughout. Most days it's just shooting, making that first shot. Hunting and 3D are kind of similar. Our "first" shot is the shot that counts. Okay, hunting, you usually only have one shot and it has to be perfect. In 3D you have one shot per target and up to several minutes before you shoot again. Went a National 3D once. 4 hours to shoot 20 targets and two days of it. Figure 12 minutes between shots.

Before I forget. Have you seen a doctor? Tennis elbow is a long time recovering and there are pressure/arm bands that can be worn that aid in recovering. Used properly they can "spread" the tension in the muscle and lessen pain. I have 3 arm bands. 2 have built in gel packs and 1 has some sort of hard rubber flat oval. These gel packs/hard rubber go the muscle on top the forearm right at 3 inches before the elbow. Hold your hand out flat, palm down, relaxed. Now, use your free hand to feel and make a fist and you can feel the muscle that the gel pack/hard rubber goes to. All 3 of mine are adjustable for pressure as in you can "cinch" them up. If buying a non-adjustable, find one that is tight. Wear it during the day working, remove it when relaxed or before going to bed.

And practicing and target shooting should go hand in hand. Say a indoor 20 yard event. For a 50 spot you have 4 minutes to get off 5 shots. Okay, short of a minute per shot. Said is time between shots should be at least 15 to 17 seconds. During those 15 to 17 seconds your body recovers to 100%. I forget what coach noted strength dimensioning if firing back to back; 1st shot, 100%. 2nd shot, 90%, 3rd shot, 80%, 4th shot, 65%, 5th shot 50%. And then in indoor competition you have more time to recover. You shoot, the next line shoots (4 minutes) and then all go to the target to score and pull arrows. This can amount to another 4 minutes maybe.

Index and thumb releases are "user friendly," but if not all correct and right in the world and tension of any kind can bring woe and wanting that "shot"...Oh yeah...

Being relaxed is paramount. Bypassing the regular stuff. The index finger or thumb doesn't touch the trigger until after acquiring the target. Okay, no tension and the release isn't going off accidently or prematurely. Only in the act of aiming does the index finger or thumb touch the trigger. Touch, no pressure. Now, most people have back tension going on just holding to the wall and this alone can be enough to fire the index or thumb release, you just have to wait for it, let it happen....

Back tension is a killer procedure to learn and understand. Beat myself to death trying to study and feel what was going on. For me, my back tensed sort of low, then between the shoulder blades and the tension flowed (yes, flowed) to my release shoulder and then my release arm drew back and the release fired. It was a long day and the next day seemed longer when trying to replicate it.

The thumb release. Some like a light or sensitive trigger. I don't. My release is set heavy with the supplied heavy spring. Just to play with the release, set it and fire it, you really have to apply pressure. To example; My thumb release is set so heavy I can be at full draw, remove my index finger and balance the release between my thumb and middle and ring finger and the release not fire. Add back just the thought of back tension and it fires slicker than warm butter.
    This Top Shelf archer I well know has his thumb release (same brand and model as mine) set so light I can't "breath" on it and it fires.

Again, I have links and write ups by this one person on using a hinge.
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself