Thread: 30" draw length, will I be having problems with recurves due to this?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 30" draw length, will I be having problems with recurves due to this?

I've been shooting recurves for 3 years now and my draw length kicked up from 28 to 30, i started at 16 and I am 19 now so probably som growth spurt thing I guess since I did get a heck of a lot taller too but just recently did I measure it again I am wondering if it is advisable for me to be shooting hunting recurves, the ones with poundage based of 28" draw I've read on stacking and I am cool with that, my max draw is 55lb (10 arrows 10 sets before I need a 5) on a recurve but ill stay in the 45 range when or if I buy a hunting recurve.

Post Thanks / Like

Gman, with that long of draw length you'll be pulling more weight. The recurves are rated at 28" draw, but from what I know, I would suggest staying with a longer bow.

I wish I had your problem.

Post Thanks / Like

You will gain 1 to 1.5 lbs of bow weight for each inch over the stated weight of the bow @28". For your 30" draw length, figure +2 to +3 lbs. Longer bows may gain slightly less due to the longer limbs; shorter bows may gain slightly more. For your DL you should consider 60" - 62" bow for hunting. A longer bow would work, but is more difficult to manuever through the brush although longbow shooters seem to do pretty well with the longer bows. They just have to set up with the extra length in mind.

mike
    Last edited by DeepRiverBowman; 03-14-2013 at 06:04 PM.
    Mike Tichenor - President Deep River Bowmen
    Martin Jaguar - Trad Tech Titan - Hoyt Elan

Post Thanks / Like

Gman,
    Since you're still growing, and already have a 30" draw, I'd suggest that you look for a 62"-64" bow. I also have a 30" draw and a 62" bow is as short as I like to shoot, anything less introduces more finger pinch. When you draw a 62" bow to 30" the string angle becomes very steep, pinching your fingers and causing faulty releases, not to mention the pain. A longer bow ( 64" ) will draw smoother for you as well, and stack less. Stacking is the amount of draw weight gained past 28", the further you draw past 28 the more weight most bows will gain. As DeepRiverBowman explained a bow will gain 2-3 lbs from 28" to 30", but will start gaining after that, more in the 3-4lbs range per inch, The shorter the bow the more pronounced this is.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade