Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite camo pattern??

Post Thanks / Like

I agree guys, that there is no one pattern that fits all. I do have some other patterns for different things. But for me, the woodlands is a good general purpose pattern. It works well on the ground as well as in a stand. I don't have to be surrounded by green, as it has other colors as well.

Fun story; elk hunting in Eastern Oregon, end of October, there are spots of snow, the grass is green but evergreens abound in in the Blue Mountains of Oregon. Heading back to the truck after a long hike and uneventful morning, my friend and I, both wearing BDUs in woodland cut across a meadow that is brown with the season. We hear the crashing of branches and the thump of approaching footsteps, so we freeze right where we are. A cow and a calf come running into the clearing and up to about 20yds from where we are pinned in the open. They stop, the cow is looking at us, smelling the air. I'm crouched and Travis was caught standing up a few feet behind me, but he's "hunkered" over a bit to distort his profile. The cow knows that something is there, the calf is genuinely curious, they both creep forward to about 10 yds. Neither Travis or I move a muscle. The elk know there's something there. They can't figure out what. As far as they can tell we're bushes in the middle of this meadow. After the longest 3 or 4 minutes ever, my legs are cramping and I'm pretty sure that there aren't any other elk coming behind them. So I stand up straight and wave my hand at them. Of course they bolted. Too bad there wasn't a bull lingering around, but it was a very cool experience that may not have happened if we hadn't been all camied up .

I have a bunch of Mossy Oak as well, but feel like it tends to blotch at longer distances and turn into a big dark blob. I don't have any but REALLY like the ASAT camo
    Last edited by wscywabbit; 03-19-2013 at 04:37 PM.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a cool video awhile back about camo. It basically said that larger patterns are better because the finer stuff blurs together to form a blob. He even showed pics of a guy in a tree wearing a large print Hawaiian shirt. The first was in color the second in black/white. It was very convincing. I wish I knew where I saw the video. IMO, Predator and MOT do a good job in my terrain. I love camo. I am always ebaying up some stuff. I will paint all my stands and ladders. I want to paint my hunting rig but dont want to lose the resale value.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Mossy oak BOTTOMLAND is my fav. It's kind of making a comeback.

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta agree with Wabbit, for us anyway.
    I Believe it's all about the place you hunt, for us Western is woodland, lots of greens, military surplus is the way to go, Eastern has more browns in it.
    BUT, one must know the area very well and expect slight changes throughout the year. Western we don't have much grass that we can hide in, LOTS O salal, lots o browns with tree trunks, lots of huckleberry, you can add these to yourself while out to help break your pattern, remeber nature has no straight lines. so breaking the outline is the best, a good wool shirt, and a pair of jeans can hide in just about anything with the proper additions, Sphagnum moss works really well it's quiet and breaks the outline nicely, and is very abundant .. on the West side, More grasses on the east side.
    Sorry rambling again, Military training was beat in, and as flight crew if we went down we had to know how to hide
    Mac
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to
    The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life

'96 Firecat, '66 Herters

Post Thanks / Like

For spring and early fall, I use alot of British military surplus DPM (disruptive pattern material). It's like our woodlands camo, but bigger blotches. Blends in VERY well in the brush without turning into a blob. For fall treestand hunting when the leaves are dropping, I love Vertigo Grey. It also works well as a snow camo. That said, I have a ton of other camo patterns that I wear depending on the weather and area I am hunting. Like Seclusion Open Country when I go to Wyoming after muleys or antelope.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Pyro

I like mossey oak the most but wouldnt wear it hunting in my country, ingeneral camo sticks out like dogs balls here im better hunt in earthy soild colours than anything makes you blend in with the trunks and deadfalls

Post Thanks / Like

After this past season I'm pretty partial to Realtree AP. I had been using Hardwoods before.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Faded grey denim jeans and a different shade of grey hoodie. Sometimes w a green vest. Other times, woodland BDUs. If i'm hunkering down in a down-fall, brown cords w my grey hoodie. See a pattern here? A tip from nature. Soft,solid,neutral colors.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Plainsman

I guess I'm really old school..Tiger Stripe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plainsman View Post
    I guess I'm really old school..Tiger Stripe
    that's an oldie but a goodie, tough to find in my neck of the woods though, at least in the proper colors, they work really well.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to
    The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life

'96 Firecat, '66 Herters