Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: noises, string or limbs

Post Thanks / Like

Gentlemen,
    RESULTS !!
    from all of your help, advice, thoughts, and of course craftsmanship, (if it loads correctly), the "bing" is gone, and I have a "slap" of something, thinking fletching is catching my rest, and some minor adjustments, BUT this is the first set of 5 putting the first 2 aluminum in, sighting on it ,and 3 more carbons, the last one went all the way through.
    15 yards I'm thinking first pin is set where I need it to be now to start walking back to set the rest of them.
    this couldn't have been done without your help, and I cannot thank you enough
    Mac
    Last edited by macflash; 04-03-2013 at 08:50 PM.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to
    The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life

'96 Firecat, '66 Herters

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hope this is where you wanted your pics!
    IMG_20130402_120700.jpgIMG_20130403_124110.jpg

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

PERFECT !! thanks a group Bill
    I had a little issue (again) trying to load pics
    Last edited by macflash; 04-03-2013 at 08:52 PM.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to

'96 Firecat, '66 Herters

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the "slap" you're hearing is from the peep tube. Try pulling it off and taking a couple shots w/o it. Fo it at close range in case your peep twists and you cant see the pins. And maybe try adding limbsavers and a noise reducing stab
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, probably the tubing. If you have some time, order a book from eBay. "Tuning and Silencing your Bowhunting Shooting System" or "On Target for Tuning your Compound Bow" both by Larry Wise. Shoot straight.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

Post Thanks / Like

great stuff guys thanks,
    I thought the buttons below the cams were limbsavers, now I gotta look, and been looking at the stabilizers, that cobra is a heavy chunk of metal, as soon as the rain stops I'll check it without the tube, need to do a little adjust on the slide rail i think it's over to far,
    what a feeling though to FINALLY shoot it, been itchin for months !!

'96 Firecat, '66 Herters

Post Thanks / Like

So I tried some things last night (lost an arrow in the process) . part of my noise was rushing to get shooting and not looking my system over.
    the Stab I have is a folding one, a Cobra, and it wasn't tight enough. The peep tube is part of the problem, but not the majority of the noise, I have a quick tune drop away that seems to be smacking the shelf, AND smacking when it pops back up, I tried to let off some tension on it so it doesn't snap back up and ended up stuffing said lost arrow somewhere in my knee high grass , now I gotta find it before I get it with the mower.
    Question ?? Do I want the rest to easily move down with forward movement on the arrow,Upon release, not as if i were letting off with arm strength? or should it give a little as I let it down,and the prongs should be adjusted so they don't hit the shelf ? Basically rotate prongs up to clear shelf by micros, and let tension down to let it fall away on shot.. Everyone thoroughly confused good!! I am ,LOL
    Last edited by macflash; 04-05-2013 at 09:49 PM. Reason: quick tune not accutune

'96 Firecat, '66 Herters

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if a drop away is set up the same as a prong rest, but setting up my QuikTune 3000's, I adjust the tension so that the rest gives slightly at rest with the arrow on it, and come up to full height when I draw.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

If the drop away is hitting the shelf you could probably raise it up so the forks don't hit. You'll probably have to raise the nocking point, kisser, and peep accordingly. If the arrow is slightly higher than the Berger hole when the rest is up it's not a big deal. Before you go doing this try a patch of moleskin on the shelf where the forks contact it. In fact, it doesn't hurt to do this to the shole shelf in the event that an arrow falls off the rest as you draw.

As for timing the rest? You want the rest to start raising up about 2" before you reach full draw and the rest should be fully raised about 1" before you reach full draw. As for the rest bouncing back up? This could be because it isn't timed right and/or it's hitting the shelf too hard. The moleskin should help with this as it cushions the blow somewhat. You might even try a piece of moleskin on the underside of the forks and trimmed to fit. This would double the cushion effect.

Now, those buttons in the limb forks. They are not Limb Savers as we know limb savers. They are reinforcing bttons to keep the limb forks from splitting. It also helps eliminate limb twist. If you'd like you can install Simms Limb Savers just below them. What they do is reduce vibration going into the limbs, which also finds it's way into the riser. They're not always necessary, but they can't hurt anything.

What else?
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

sorry Barry,
    not a drop away, it's a spring loaded prong, I've been really looking hard at the Apache, so drop away was stuck in my head, BUT If and/or when I get it I'll set it up that way though moleskin is next on the list no matter what, And good eye for the buttons, vibe dampers on the limbs are on the list too?
    E.S. ,
    I'll try that, like i said must've had it to weak, arrow shot into the grass and disappeared, Is the 3000 similar to the quick? I'll U of Google it and see.
    I'm getting antsy again, I've ONLY got 5 months to get it set up , and they days are slipping fast
    Last edited by macflash; 04-06-2013 at 10:07 PM.

'96 Firecat, '66 Herters