Thread: Reducing draw weight on a 2006 Cheetah...

Junior Member MartinIsMyMiddleName's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Reducing draw weight on a 2006 Cheetah...

I'm expecting my new Pantera any day now, and I'd like to have my wife learn to shoot on my old bow - a 2006 (-ish) Cheetah with MPro cams. But the limbs are 70#, and I think the most she could really handle is 40# or so. Plus being new to the sport I'd really like the option to go lower than that for her. Letting her have my more adjustable Pantera is not an option.

I posted this question on AT and it seems the conclusion is to buy/swap limbs on it. Apparently thinning down the limbs on a sander isn't a good idea (kidding).

So, I'm looking to go that route. But on a more theoretical level, what would happen if I backed my limb bolts all the way down to 40# (the official range is 15# below the limb max of 70#). Assuming the bolts still have enough threads in the barrel nuts, what would happen? Would the string start popping off? Or is the main driving factor the length of the limb bolts?
    Last edited by MartinIsMyMiddleName; 03-20-2013 at 08:16 PM. Reason: clarity

Post Thanks / Like

Default Martin cheetah

My name is Pat and I am the owner of Prairie archery. give me a call and I will help you out.

Prairie archery.
    208-507-1102

Post Thanks / Like

Martin,

Obviously your best bet is going to be the limb swap, but you could back the limb bolts out quite a ways. I don't know if you could back them out to 40# or not, but as long as you can see the bolts through the peep hole in the riser you should be safe. I don't know that I would want to do that as a permanent fix though...
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps