Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New name new website!

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New name new website!

Well guys and gals,

Hutch~n~Son Archery llc is growing. We have decided to give our Custom string business its own name. Also we are going to give it a website. Since all of you have been my family for many years. I ask you for any suggestions on what you would like to see on a custom string website? I am trying to get my portfolio completed by Friday. I have valued your opinions over the years so I would like your input. Its not going to be a big sophisticated site but the best it can be with what I have. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hutch,

I would suggest keeping the page somewhat simple. I hate web pages that are so complicated to go through and find what I want. Yeah, they look nice and have tons of information, but I don't want graphics that are moving around and popping out at me. When I am shopping on the internet, and I do most of my shopping on the internet, I know what I want. I just want to go to a web page, read the facts about the product I am purchasing, or considering, be able to easily find it and buy it if I so choose.

I do however shop on the internet first though and then see if I can find the product for close to the same price and quality near my home town.

The hardest part for you is to get your page to come up close to the top in the varying search engines.

Mike

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
    Hutch,

I would suggest keeping the page somewhat simple. I hate web pages that are so complicated to go through and find what I want. Yeah, they look nice and have tons of information, but I don't want graphics that are moving around and popping out at me. When I am shopping on the internet, and I do most of my shopping on the internet, I know what I want. I just want to go to a web page, read the facts about the product I am purchasing, or considering, be able to easily find it and buy it if I so choose.

I do however shop on the internet first though and then see if I can find the product for close to the same price and quality near my home town.

The hardest part for you is to get your page to come up close to the top in the varying search engines.

Mike
    Yeah I agree keeping it simple. One thing I will do besides keeping it simple, is to link it everywhere I can!

Thanks for replying!

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Index page with "mission statement" - Can combine "About Us" page into the home page a little - then expand on it more in an actual "About" page. Links to social media off the home page - facebook, twitter, instagram (don't undervalue instagram when it comes to a business like this - awesome way to get pictures out fast and shared)

With the About page - I'd expand on process, how strings are built, what they are made with, differences in materials - mix in FAQ almost in addition to your traditional "about the business/owners" information.

Going to want an image gallery showing string samples (built and spools), set-up operations (jig/shop), finished bows, shooters, etc. This can be intro'd in the home page also and then expanded on the secondary page i.e. "samples/gallery" Be a good spot to include testimonials, etc.

Contact Page - this is where you could take quick questions or even orders depending on how you make the page/form, unless you have a shopping cart option.

--

Don't get fancy throwing color around in the text ... People know you make strings and strings come in colors, let your strings do the talking and whatever company color palette you've established do the work with the color of the design on the pages. No need to get crazy with it. Keeps it much cleaner.

Keep the navigation and the sitemap clean, more often than not less is more when it comes to sites.

Anything else give me a holler
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I think droppixel has some real good ideas there. It'll keep it simple and clean looking and direct to the products when it comes to ordering.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Excelsior!

Hutch, been designing and hosting websites since 1994, as of ten days ago I am retired. I still host sites and do some designing but will offer to give you the benefits of my experience if needed. I would suggest you use something like Wordpress to design your site as it is a very easy interface and can be customized to your taste. THE PRAYER OF THE DAY is an example of a simple Wordpress theme customized to fit the site.
    Suggestions so far are spot on. Less is more is a basic rule of thumb in web design or any type of desktop publishing. Congrats on the expansion and may the wind be at your back.

SMARTEN UP AND MARTIN UP
    Martin Black Panther - Martin Cougar III Magnum
    Rytera Scepter V - Martin Diablo - 2 @ Rytera Seeker

"I will make My arrows drunk with blood... Deuteronomy 32:42a (HCSB)
    I am an Alien, I am in this world but I am not of this world, have mercy. Tell the Truth and shame the Devil.
    http://theprayeroftheday.com

Post Thanks / Like

heck i would toss DP some new strings and tell him to have at it on setting your site up.the guy knows what he is doing.then you would have time to do what you do.

what i like to see in a site is easy to understand info.
    Last edited by gravedigger; 03-24-2013 at 12:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO wordpress is a great tool for CMS, but you absolutely do not want to use a canned page for your business. If you want to go the wordpress route, you need to build a custom theme. If not you generally are stuck with a blog style page with a main content area and a static sidebar **AND you could end up with the same site design as someone else, with just different colors**. Either way having a CMS or someone that is able to manage on the fly is necessary.

**Edited
    Last edited by droppixel; 03-24-2013 at 06:34 PM.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
    heck i would toss DP some new strings and tell him to have at it on setting your site up.the guy knows what he is doing.then you would have time to do what you do.

what i like to see in a site is easy to understand info.
    Gotta agree here. Stay focused on day to day operations and keep building great strings. We're behind you in your growing venture.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

70% of my shopping is internet. Don't put to many color in your tabs. Also, dark colors stink as background. Keep it simple.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)