Thread: FEATHERS and the Muzzy Phantoms

Post Thanks / Like

Default FEATHERS and the Muzzy Phantoms

Well I fletched some 4" feathers on a 29" Axis 340s with my modified Ariz. jig and some 125grn Phantoms. Truly remarkable to 30 yards, at 40 yards the broadhead fell 6" low. How would you tune this? It's perfect to 30, I don't understand the 40 yard difference. Was hoping to get everything good to 40 and call it good. 2012 Bengal 56lbs.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the windage fine, just 6" lower on the elevation from 30 to 40 yards? What did your field points do at the same distances? Single or multiple pin sight? I shoot 4" feathers also and they tend to hit a little lower at longer ranges than the same arrow with vanes. More drag, I guess. Not trying to sound trite, but, if it were me using a multi-pin sight, I'd just lower my 40 yard pin a little.
    Last edited by hgsnpr62; 03-27-2013 at 07:51 AM.
    2012 MartinOnza3, 58@28.5, 2008 Hoyt Katera XL, 52@28.5, Martin Savannah, 54@28.5, Howard Hill Cheetah, 53@28.5, Maryland Bowhunters Society, Traditional Bowhunters of MD, Mayberry Archers

Post Thanks / Like

Feathers do have more drag than vanes, thats why feathers stabilize faster than vanes, and will slow your arrow more as the yardage increases. What weight broadhead where you shooting before? Before the feathers, what size vane where you shooting?
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Sonny Thomas

Default FEATHERS and the Muzzy Phantoms

Feathers do grab some air, so agree with the others. I haven't shot feathers in some time, but the last I shot were flu-flues and man did they drop past 30 yards, like in the dirt at 35 to 40 yards.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure I understand. 6" drop from 30 to 40 would be quite normal if not better than normal. Unless you're saying 6" more drop in comparison to something else. And even at this, as the others have said, feathers produce more drag than the same size vanes.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Maxed bow back out and the 40 yard group did considerably better, if I have to I'll just drop the 40 yard pin to get them in the middle. Can't imagine shooting any thing beyond 40 yards anyway. But I have never shot better than with the 4" Shield Cut feathers,NEVER!

Post Thanks / Like

Bob,
    If you like feathers, check these out Awesome and you can ajust them for flight.
    www.gatorvanes.com
    Picture 376.jpg
    Don.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    I Shoot a 2012-SepterV and a 2011-Shadowcat
    I shoot Bowhunter, not barebow--fingers non-sights.
    Enter-ZESTY at checkout at Deer Crossing Archery- http://deercrossingarchery.com/
    For a 10% discount on all products, other than ECO Hunter shafts.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good Don! How do you adjust them for flight? I assume trim a little here or there but how do you know where to trim and how much?
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wscywabbit View Post
    Looks good Don! How do you adjust them for flight? I assume trim a little here or there but how do you know where to trim and how much?
    They come 1/2" tall, I cut them down to 3/8" tall.
    You can cut them to what ever length you want from 6" to 1" long.
    Thats how you would trim them for flight.
    Don.
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    I Shoot a 2012-SepterV and a 2011-Shadowcat
    I shoot Bowhunter, not barebow--fingers non-sights.
    Enter-ZESTY at checkout at Deer Crossing Archery- http://deercrossingarchery.com/
    For a 10% discount on all products, other than ECO Hunter shafts.

Post Thanks / Like

The website Archery Report had (and still has) a good test report titled "Fletching Review: speed, drop, ease of use and more" that covers this topic nicely, with reviews of several types and brands of fletching. The author concludes that indeed feathers do stabilize faster and are initially faster out of the bow, due to their lighter than plastic vane weight, but they also cause arrows to decelerate faster due to their increased aerodynamic drag. The test report can still be viewed here (http://archeryreport.com/2009/10/fle...ew-speed-drop/). It's a good read and generally well done test.
    08/12 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 67,5# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made bent cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)