Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stabilizer weight, too much or too little?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stabilizer weight, too much or too little?

I have a homemade pvc stabilizer which is weighing in around 5 ozs. I thought it was working fine, groups had tightened up with a few still having a 'mind of their own'. A friend offered me to try his extra "real one", when I picked it up, I swear it must have been close to a pound, maybe even more. He wasn't really sure of the weight as it was bought used. It was 8", same as mine.
    I was surprised I didn't noticed the extra weight at full draw, which I was able to hold for over 30 sec, with almost no wobble.
    Shot 6 arrows...killed 4 vanes, and almost a Robin Hood.
    Shot another 6....close to the same thing!??

What's my point you ask...can you have too much/little weight when it comes to a stabilizer? Or is it more personal preference?

Thanks, Keith
    People keep telling me I have ADD, but they just don't underst.....SQUIRREL!

2013 Martin 60# (@44lb) Bengal Pro-Skulz!
    FletcherThumb Release, GT Velocity XT 400gr
    Ripcord rest, HHA XL5519

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an idea of what the "real" ones weigh: link-->http://www.beestinger.com/archery-st...ls.php?mf=1000
    I believe the determination of stabilizer weight includes what bow you are shooting, but also a lot of personal preference.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Basically a stabilizer is just that it stabilizes your bow when you are at full draw and draws the bow forward when you shoot. Too little weight and to short don't produce a stable shot. Hunters don't concern themselves because its a close up shot. The longer the stabilizer with weight on the end it will help you stay steady.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow Splitter View Post
    Here's an idea of what the "real" ones weigh: link-->http://www.beestinger.com/archery-st...ls.php?mf=1000
    I believe the determination of stabilizer weight includes what bow you are shooting, but also a lot of personal preference.

A.S
    Yes AS, I've seen those, plus the Pro Hunter. 8" weighted down can be over a pound (+20 oz).
    I like my homemade one-some guy on here put up a great how to video...-so I'm wondering if maybe a little tinkering on my part with a longer carriage bolt and maybe some washers might be worth my time.
    I was just surprised at the effect the extra weight made for me. Not sure if my shoulder will agree over time, but I think it's worth a look.

Ripcord rest, HHA XL5519

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ankhdad View Post
    Yes AS, I've seen those, plus the Pro Hunter. 8" weighted down can be over a pound (+20 oz).
    I like my homemade one-some guy on here put up a great how to video...-so I'm wondering if maybe a little tinkering on my part with a longer carriage bolt and maybe some washers might be worth my time.
    I was just surprised at the effect the extra weight made for me. Not sure if my shoulder will agree over time, but I think it's worth a look.
    Thanks for the compliment. I agree with you: experimenting with the weight probably will pay off. I haven't (my 8" comes in 4.39 oz.) but it's a good idea.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows

Sonny Thomas

Default Stabilizer weight, too much or too little?

I used the 8" NAP Shock Blocker for years and as worked great. It weighs 11 ounces. Not that far from a pound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Thomas View Post
    I used the 8" NAP Shock Blocker for years and as worked great. It weighs 11 ounces. Not that far from a pound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ankhdad View Post
    I have a homemade pvc stabilizer which is weighing in around 5 ozs. Thanks, Keith
    You'd be right at one pound if you added Keith's homemade pvc stabbie. Might look a bit odd however.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to let this one fade off, but I tried my friends again and what a difference. Managed to weigh it, 13.5 oz.
    So...I set off to build one of my own. I used 1/2" pvc this time, I think it looks better-no other reason, because it's all about looks...lol. Weighted it down with a carriage bolt, 6 washers, and a nut=13.1oz. Nothing else inside, no rubber, cork etc...
    100_0235.jpg100_0236.jpg

this next photo is with no stabilizer, holding for 30 secs at full draw, 18yrds (sorry for the glare, was getting dark out and I used the flash)
    100_0232.jpg

same again, BUT WITH the new stabilizer I just made
    100_0234.jpg

I can't get over this!
    It's drying after being painted neon green-to match the strings, and I will never leave home without it!!

Ripcord rest, HHA XL5519

Post Thanks / Like

Now that's cool. I might have to play with the weight of mine now. LOL

A.S

Post Thanks / Like

Really glad you started this!!, it was going to be my next question for everyone,
    the groups are unbelievably different
    I have a Cobra folding on mine and it's pretty heavy, and if not tight will cause part of my noises I heard ( different post), was thinking about going to a different, lighter, shock absorbing one.
    Now I need to study my shots some more, not sure if it's just too heavy on the front ?, I think I'll try shooting without it to see what happens
    Mac
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to
    The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life

'96 Firecat, '66 Herters