Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slippery Grip

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slippery Grip

If covered before I apologize...I have an '06 Bengal with the rubber grip that gets extremely slippery when shooting on warm days. Any ideas what I can use or due to eliminate the problem.
    Thanks

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Athletic tape maybe?
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Sonny Thomas

Default Slippery Grip

I like a slippery grip. Slippery, the grip slips to where it's supposed to be, where it can't slip any more. Pour oil over the grip, face cream, or butter, if you have your hand to the riser grip properly the bow won't go anywhere but where it should.
    Yep, had that done to me. I forget what it was, but it was slippery. I was then told to draw my bow, in not a pleasant way. Scared, you bet, but I drew my bow and it slipped right to where it was supposed to go and held. Never had hand torque issues again with any bow...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

If that's true, Martin's grip on the Bengal is the best one in the market...

Post Thanks / Like

Sonny is correct. Although many people think they have to hold onto a bow the most consistent and accurate grip is NO GRIP. Using proper hand positioning on the riser is not understood well by most amateurs. Hand position coupled with a grip area that slides into the same position does help eliminate shots that go high or low. Improperly gripping the riser causes torque which usually causes left/right variations. Rubber grips on a bow, although warmer for hunting, are probably the worst kind you can get. Something else, besides butter (LOL), that you can use is unscented talcum powder. Position your hand properly and let the riser slide into the hand wherever the pressure of the bow wants to put it. Learn this and shoot with the hand totally relaxed and accuracy will get better.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Sonny Thomas

Default Slippery Grip

Barry, you reminded me of the ole talcum bag! There me was, young pup that I was then, shooting with some Old Timers. Right at hand on their hip were leather bags full of talcum powder. Ever so often their dipped into the bag and powder went all over the grip. These two gentlemen shot the more common Competitive Bowhunter class. This being of heavy tackle for hunting; a compound bow, fingers, no sights and arrows of heavy weight. Come forward a few years (ahem) and I shot with another old timer. Him shooting Bare Bow class with his heavy tackle set up. Sure enough, talcum powder bag.

Of note; Competitive Bow Hunter can shoot in the Bare Bow class, but Bare Bow can not shoot in Competitive Bow Hunters if using that allowed for Bare Bow - no restrictions for stabilizer and draw checks.

Today, I know of only two gentlemen who actually shoot Competitive Heavy tackle, but most all clubs put them in the Bare Bow class. And this being a mistake due to the fact most people don't know they are actually two different classes.
    Last edited by Sonny Thomas; 03-31-2013 at 06:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up No Grip is the Best and only Grip

My Seekers have no grip; which is called in the catalog a custom target grip for my Scepter V if and when it gets here. No grip is the best grip.
    On the talcum powder, as I have gone back to billiards as my off sport in retirement, I have found no talcum dispensers any more as in the olden days we used talcum to smooth our hands on the pool cue, I can clearly see how that translates in the archery grip.

From Basketball and Tennis in my youth to Archery and Billiards in my retirement, thank God I didn't end up doing golf.

SMARTEN UP AND MARTIN UP
    Martin Black Panther - Martin Cougar III Magnum
    Rytera Scepter V - Martin Diablo - 2 @ Rytera Seeker

"I will make My arrows drunk with blood... Deuteronomy 32:42a (HCSB)
    I am an Alien, I am in this world but I am not of this world, have mercy. Tell the Truth and shame the Devil.
    http://theprayeroftheday.com

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, so what do I do...remove the rubber grip. If so, what should I replace it with...or would it be best to just shoot off the bare riser. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Arrow View Post
    Okay, so what do I do...remove the rubber grip. If so, what should I replace it with...or would it be best to just shoot off the bare riser. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
    Fair enough question. Me? I'd strip the rubber grip off and clean off any resifual glue. Wear a cotton glove in cold weather, but when it's warm shoot right off the riser. Take a look at the Scepter, ShadowCat, or any of the newer bows with the Saddleback grip. Actually there is no real grip. There is a grip area and it's the riser itself.

This isn't all that uncommon in the archery industry. Many of the top shooters in target and/or 3D remove the grips and shoot right off the riser. My slef? Lately I've just started using an unlined deerskin driving glove when outside.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Fair enough question. Me? I'd strip the rubber grip off and clean off any resifual glue. Wear a cotton glove in cold weather, but when it's warm shoot right off the riser. Take a look at the Scepter, ShadowCat, or any of the newer bows with the Saddleback grip. Actually there is no real grip. There is a grip area and it's the riser itself.

This isn't all that uncommon in the archery industry. Many of the top shooters in target and/or 3D remove the grips and shoot right off the riser. My slef? Lately I've just started using an unlined deerskin driving glove when outside.
    Wow every day I read in these pages adds to the list of thing I need to try. The old Firecat has a pretty bulky wood grip. My hand settles in really nice, but it fills the web of my thumb... it makes me want to grip around it,..so I've gone it to making almost an "okay" sign with my middle finger, to get it to nestle better,... guess I'm gonna try this too, along with the new sight, rest, and getting into fletching my own arrows,. lol sigh you guys are killin me
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to
    The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life

'96 Firecat, '66 Herters