Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor 3D, finally

Sonny Thomas

Default Outdoor 3D, finally

Weather broke and I got in a 3D! I will say I didn't shoot well. My bow was dead on....when I did things right and things didn't get in my way. Skimmed a tree branch (0 score) and then ducked to avoid a twig (5 points). Got stumped on this one deer (5 points) and totally confused I doubled what I thought I missed by and shot a 8! And four 5s! Lord! And then I called shots and make them!

And I thought; "Sonny, you done messed up." So the club Pres offered up the scores as I and LD were pretty much the last of the Adult shooters (45 yards max). Now get this, 12 counting; 1st place, 274. 2nd place, 273, 3rd place, 268 (yours truly). Unbelievable..... I figured I got my butt cleaned and I didn't think the course that tough. Now get this; 1st place is a 30 some year old kid I got started a few years back (so he owes me some points ). 2nd place is 65 years old, 3rd, me, 64 years old. LD may have been 4th and 62 years old.

There were a handful of sort of steep downhill shots where footing wasn't the best and that got me a 5.

Of course, I had fun. LD and I both figured this one deer at 37 yards. Both us drilled side by side 8s. Walking up to the target I offered my and congradulated him for us having the prettiest pinwheel 8 I ever saw. So we ran a slug of 10s in a row and 4 targets were 30 yards in a row. So I told LD; Watch. So danged easy and the next will catch us flat footed. Sure enough, we both shot 8s, his high, mine low.
    LD says; I wish you hadn't had said that, about us getting caught flat footed.
    So we are coming in and here is this old gentleman I dearly like, GA, and, yep, me did it; "Dang, LD, I up and thought this a respectable establishment and here just let anybody in the gate."

Post Thanks / Like

First outdoor next weekend for me. Then the following weekend same shoot. Gonna get my oldest out this coming weekend, he'll be 5 on Sunday. Going to have him walk the course and keep score
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you had fun, goodonya! Hopefully next Sunday will be my first ever outing at 3D and I just don't want to lose any arrows.
    Martin Black Panther - Martin Cougar III Magnum
    Rytera Scepter V - Martin Diablo - 2 @ Rytera Seeker

"I will make My arrows drunk with blood... Deuteronomy 32:42a (HCSB)
    I am an Alien, I am in this world but I am not of this world, have mercy. Tell the Truth and shame the Devil.
    http://theprayeroftheday.com

Sonny Thomas

Well, LD came up with us, me and the club Pres with 2nd place, getting together and shooting. Yeah, us 3 oldsters shooting together against all the "pups." Probably call us ganging up on them

Post Thanks / Like

Man, I am glad I live were I do. I can shoot a 3-D every Sunday year round, hour drive form my house.
    3rd. place ain't bad, could of been lot worse.
    Don.
    Oh and you only have to shoot 45 yards max?
    That would be awesome, we shoot out to 80 yards all the time, even on unmarked shoots.
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    I Shoot a 2012-SepterV and a 2011-Shadowcat
    I shoot Bowhunter, not barebow--fingers non-sights.
    Enter-ZESTY at checkout at Deer Crossing Archery- http://deercrossingarchery.com/
    For a 10% discount on all products, other than ECO Hunter shafts.

Sonny Thomas

This club is trying to be ASA oriented as it can be and still not ruffle feathers.
    Yes, 45 yards is the max. Open A, Semi Pro and Pro are all 45 yards. All other Adult classes have 40 yards max. And then the new point rings of the new McKenzies are to be 5" for the 10 ring and 1.5" for the X rings.

Post Thanks / Like

Hope to hit the shoot in Galesberg this weekend.
    A little common sense goes a long way, unfortunately it's in short supply!

Sonny Thomas

We had thought of Galesburg, but the Presley's 3D Indoor Championship is this weekend. We go at it head to head. Trophy Division Saturday and a couple of my sidekicks go head to head Sunday for money. They have two chances (well, other than slim and none ). If eliminated in the first round of Money they move to the Bush round to go at it again. So they get to watch me and I get to watch them.

??? I guess you meant Galesburg, Illinois?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Illinois, guess I should have said that.

Good luck at Presley's, wanted to shoot the qualifiers but had other things going on those weekends. Would have been some traveling for me.
    A little common sense goes a long way, unfortunately it's in short supply!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don B View Post
    Man, I am glad I live were I do. I can shoot a 3-D every Sunday year round, hour drive form my house.
    3rd. place ain't bad, could of been lot worse.
    Don.
    Oh and you only have to shoot 45 yards max?
    That would be awesome, we shoot out to 80 yards all the time, even on unmarked shoots.
    California would be an awesome place if it weren't for their idiotic politicians. high taxes, supporting illegal aliens, passing outrageous anti-firearm laws, corrupt local governments, and the L.A. smog...

i only venture out there to visit my sister and her family who live well north of san francisco...