Thread: Cam lean on brand new alien

Hybrid View

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cam lean on brand new alien

If any of you remember , I was having issues getting a 2013 alien in Mississippi , well I was able to purchase one about 2 hours from my house, a retired old man, who was willing to work with me . I got the bow with large cams because their draw range is from 27.5 on up. I believe the small cam was up to 27.5 or either 28. So either way I'm right on the line. Well I ordered the large cam cuz I figured if I hated the bow and wanted to sell it, I could plus it went down to 27.5, and I shoot a 28 inch draw. It was a real pain for this guy to set it up for me, it took hours , however it's not like he works on martins all the time he's a retired man who simply maintains his whatever to sell bows . Once he got it set up I noticed the top cam leaning to the right towards the cable slide, and it leans even more when I draw it . He told me that some bows have a yoke and a y cable to to equalize the the stress on the cam, he also told me that with a short draw my cam was literally maxed out. He told me even with his 50 years of experience , he will not mess the cam, even though he's a dealer , said if I have an issue ill just have to send it in. Ill upload some pics tomorrow so yal can see the lean, but its kind of discouraging to buy a new loaded out bow with cam lean out the box. However he told me the bow will shoot fine regardless and I shouldn't have a problem, but he also told me when he buys a bow and sees those issues he doesn't order any more of them, cuz there a pain in rear. I suppose I'm just stuck with it then.... What's you guys thoughts on this????

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What a crap sandwich

Wow....that's a bad deal there DZ...
    I don't think you should have to deal with cam lean. Pretty interesting with what the old man had to say.
    I like sticking with single cams myself. I've had a few twin cams and they were good, didn't experience any cam lean. (darton Pro 2000, 3000, and a couple of firecates.)

I would contact Martin and send it in. Good Luck

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=4

Post Thanks / Like

That's messed up, idk what to say I have no cam lean at all maybe he don't know how to set it up, idk.
    My dw is 69.4# (stated 70#), dl 29", I got the large cams 3L, I ordered mine @ 70#, 29" and thats how it came from Martin.
    I agree with RT1 contact Joel at Martin and send it back.
    Even my 2010 Alien x has no cam lean. she's 72.6# maxed out but I backed her down to 65# to improve my accuracy and save my shoulder, lol.
    Have patience and get her fixed.

Alienshooter

2013 Alien
    2010 AlienX

joelc

I have never seen a bow without "cam lean"...unless it was an X system. Lean is the most overrated issue in Archery.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

So are you telling me Joel , that the lean i am seeing is perfectly normal??? There will be pics to follow when I'm off work

joelc

Quote Originally Posted by dzsmith View Post
    So are you telling me Joel , that the lean i am seeing is perfectly normal??? There will be pics to follow when I'm off work
    Yes...cam "lean" is perfectly normal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joelc View Post
    I have never seen a bow without "cam lean"...unless it was an X system. Lean is the most overrated issue in Archery.
    This^^ with that being said though i have experienced a bow with so much lean it was hitting the limbs and was dangerous to shoot. so it all depends on the severity but yes it will shoot just as accurate, your pins will be a little of your arrow though. and paper tuning is not a good idea if you wanna keep all your hair lol.
    Martin x-200 unsure of year
    2011 Mathews z7magnum
    2012 Mathews z7magnum
    2014 Mathews ChillR (on order)

joelc

Quote Originally Posted by WildWilt15 View Post
    This^^ with that being said though i have experienced a bow with so much lean it was hitting the limbs and was dangerous to shoot. so it all depends on the severity but yes it will shoot just as accurate, your pins will be a little of your arrow though. and paper tuning is not a good idea if you wanna keep all your hair lol.
    Well, yes. If the lean is so severe it is causing major issues such as string wear or it is physically making contact with the limb while rotating then it is obviously an issue.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Save your arms....back it down.
    I went from 80lb dw a couple of years ago, down to a 70lb'er.

Now i just went down to a 60lb. bow that actually maxes out to 63lb.

Throwing thousands of baseballs a year for years...... will take it's toll...haven't had any issues yet, and don't want to find out.....and with the bows being so much faster now I don't need to crank it down.

anyways good luck with the alien, post the outcome.