Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cam lean on brand new alien

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alienshooter View Post
    I know what cam lean is, its just I don't see much on my bows! I'll take pics of mine to show if I have too, "to me its not important". I have no problems with my Aliens, I just love how they shoot, period.
    As Joel stated its overrated.
    At a local dealer where I live I seen a guy bring a Martin bow in that looked like a recurve but had cams with the x system or yoke on both and wondered why its not utilized now?
    It must not be a big issue as there are problems occurring, sorry for sounding like a newb!

2013 Alien
    2010 AlienX
    I meant no problems, man......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joelc View Post
    I have never seen a bow without "cam lean"...unless it was an X system. Lean is the most overrated issue in Archery.
    This^^ with that being said though i have experienced a bow with so much lean it was hitting the limbs and was dangerous to shoot. so it all depends on the severity but yes it will shoot just as accurate, your pins will be a little of your arrow though. and paper tuning is not a good idea if you wanna keep all your hair lol.
    Martin x-200 unsure of year
    2011 Mathews z7magnum
    2012 Mathews z7magnum
    2014 Mathews ChillR (on order)

joelc

Quote Originally Posted by WildWilt15 View Post
    This^^ with that being said though i have experienced a bow with so much lean it was hitting the limbs and was dangerous to shoot. so it all depends on the severity but yes it will shoot just as accurate, your pins will be a little of your arrow though. and paper tuning is not a good idea if you wanna keep all your hair lol.
    Well, yes. If the lean is so severe it is causing major issues such as string wear or it is physically making contact with the limb while rotating then it is obviously an issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey DZ, the Nitro cams all have cam lean, and it does get worse when at full draw. Its just the nature of the beast. Like Joel and WWilt said, as long as it is not severe its no problem.

The frustrating thing I see in your post is that it seems the "old guy" you bought the bow from doesn't know or doesn't care enough to know the ins and outs of the new bows he is selling. Which is sad. If you were closer I'd help you out, cause these Nitro cams are a breeze to set up when you know what you're doing.

Hopefully everything works out bud! In the mean time, smile; YOU GOT A NEW BOW! And pics are not only requested but required
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

I was shooting my bows after work for a bit and looked at my cams a lot closer....I see a little lean but barely notice its there. I'm glad there are people on here to school me on martins hybrid cams. To me if its not broke don't fix it. Thanks for the info everyone.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I appreciate everyone's input, I've only been in archery 3 years , the old man told me many bows have lean, but they all don't.... To me it's like saying a small gas leak isn't a problem, but with any leak they get worse over time..., had I known this I would have checked out some other bows...what I've gathered here is when you get used to something being wrong it becomes the normal to you therefore it's an on going problem

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dzsmith View Post
    Well I appreciate everyone's input, I've only been in archery 3 years , the old man told me many bows have lean, but they all don't.... To me it's like saying a small gas leak isn't a problem, but with any leak they get worse over time..., had I known this I would have checked out some other bows...what I've gathered here is when you get used to something being wrong it becomes the normal to you therefore it's an on going problem
    Thing is, some bows actually are sensitive to cam lean, while others (such as these Martins) are not, according to my experience. It is a mystery I would like to understand better. Take Hoyt CRX or Vector, for example: it is common with those bows that you have to adjust the yokes to eliminate or adjust cam lean if you want your arrow to fly straight sideways. You just can't make it by just adjusting your arrow rest, which is the traditional method. Same thing with newer Bowtechs such as the Invasion: you have to fiddle with the yokes to make the cams tilted if you want your arrows to shoot bullet holes through paper (and your broadheads to fly to the same point with field tips). You read correctly, eliminating cam lean means imperfect arrow flight with those Bowtechs, but you still have to adjust them (and you will need a bow press to do that and have to spend a considerable amount of time for the job). This is something new, meaning that the traditional instructions of tuning compound bows no longer work with these bows. And Hoyt/Bowtech manuals even don't give any instructions for this. I can only guess how much frustration these bows have caused to people trying to tune them and not understanding the special tricks you have to do.

I have 2011 Martin Onza III which has minimal cam lean. I also own a 2012 Rytera Nemesis which has a more noticeable cam lean. Since there are no yokes in these bows, there is practically no way to adjust the angle of the cams. BUT: they both were very easy to tune to shoot bullet holes and have the same point of impact with broadheads and field tips. And this tuning was by simply adjusting the nocking point and arrow rest. You also need to check cam synchronization which was perfect out of the box with both my Onza and Nemesis. I see no reason to worry about the slight cam lean - these just shoot great.

As I said, the reason why these bows (Hoyt - Bowtech - Martin/Rytera) respond so differently to cam angle is a mystery to me. The geometry of the bows seems very comparable, so what the heck makes them behave so differently (Martin/Rytera having the most civilized behavior).
    Last edited by Phantonza; 04-09-2013 at 01:06 AM.

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

If I didn't work so much id fiddle with it myself, but I'm gonna take it to a local bow tech dealer on town, he tuned my exile for me last year and did an excellent job. I guess I always thought cam lean was a developed issue not simply the physics of the bow. Ill say this , the bow shoots pretty dang good. Much quieter than the exile, no vibration whatsoever, no torque, draw is a little stiffer than is like, but ill get used to it.

joelc

Quote Originally Posted by dzsmith View Post
    I dont know how to say this any more clearly...EVERY bow has cam lean and no it is not a problem. Look at the way bows are designed. You have multiple strings or cables that need to be relocated to achieve proper vane clearance. This is true of every bow that has a cable guard.

Cam lean "started" several years ago on ArcheryTalk when some brainiac decided to look a the top cam of his Bowtech bow while shooting...then another guy did it....and they posted pictures...and so did his friend, and on, and on, and on. Was there ever an issue with these bows?...no...but because one guy posted this on AT it suddenly turned into an epidemic.
    Last edited by joelc; 04-09-2013 at 01:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad joelc of "Martin Archery" cleared this up for me...I've been schooled!