Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cam lean on brand new alien

Post Thanks / Like

Take it for what it is worth, limb twist, cam lean, horizontal nock travel all affect arrow travel. My Alien Z, and Alien X shoot much better and are much easier to tune without it. I put Tilt Tamers on both of the Aliens and paper tuning is as simple as eyeballing the centershot cams through rest. Set the string directly through the sight and walk back tune. My Alien Z had such bad arrow flight that there was no way that I could paper tune it. If the Nitrous X cams came back I would invest in them. That being said, most people can tune a bow and deal with the cable slide induced side torque without any problem. I really like the idea of the CCS, but I wish that it had some adjustability to allow for less pull from the cables. The vanes that I use do not need nearly the clearance that the original CCS provided.

Post Thanks / Like

Like many have said, the effect of cam lean on a bow varies by manufacturer. There are several ways to solve or minimize the issue if you find it affecting your shot.

1. Swap bottom and top limbs, each limb, although matched in deflection, may have a different resistance to twist in each one. I have seen this work on several different manufactuerers bows. I actually did it with my Onza with Nitro cams and the limb swap reduced the top cam lean.

2. Install a tilt tamer or bent cable rod. As the bow comes to full draw, the cables are move towards the center of the bow as it is draw, thus reducing the side torque on the limbs. I installed a bent cable rod on the above mentioned bow and now the cams stay nearly true to full draw.

3. Shim the cams left or right depending on the cam lean. This is a last resort, there are numerous threads on AT on how to do this. This is one of the main fixes that Elite does with their bows to address cam lean.

Hope this helps if you are truely concerned that it is affecting the tuning of your bow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OnzaXX View Post
    Like many have said, the effect of cam lean on a bow varies by manufacturer. There are several ways to solve or minimize the issue if you find it affecting your shot.

1. Swap bottom and top limbs, each limb, although matched in deflection, may have a different resistance to twist in each one. I have seen this work on several different manufactuerers bows. I actually did it with my Onza with Nitro cams and the limb swap reduced the top cam lean.

2. Install a tilt tamer or bent cable rod. As the bow comes to full draw, the cables are move towards the center of the bow as it is draw, thus reducing the side torque on the limbs. I installed a bent cable rod on the above mentioned bow and now the cams stay nearly true to full draw.

3. Shim the cams left or right depending on the cam lean. This is a last resort, there are numerous threads on AT on how to do this. This is one of the main fixes that Elite does with their bows to address cam lean.

Hope this helps if you are truely concerned that it is affecting the tuning of your bow.
    Glad I activated you. It looks like you are going to be a welcome asset.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

i have recently taken some more pictures of the cam lean at full draw, its much more dramatic looking, maybe its not an issue but i will post the pics so you guys can look at it. i keep hearing " oh thats typical every bow has it" got a couple of my buddies with bowtech and pse, no where in the ball park with their lean at full draw compared to mine, the bow shoots good, im having to take it to a bowtech dealer to get him to help me tune the rest, loop, and peep because the only martin dealer within 3 hours of me is just an old man, who really didnt want to sell me a bow anyway, and he couldnt even get my arrow to hit within any of the pins of my sight. its such a long drive that im not going to go back to him, ill just have to go local and work with them. id really like to learn to do all my work myself and even pick up a press one day, right now all i do myself is cut and grind feathers and fletch my own arrows.

Post Thanks / Like

The newer PSE and BOWTECH bows have yokes on their top limbs, so they have the ability to tune the yoke to elimnate the top cam lean. With the Nitro cams, there is no yoke to apply an opposing force on the top limb. My previous post are your best options to reduce the lean on the top cam.

One note, with a bent cable guard/tilt tamer setup, your cables will slide into your sight picture at full draw. It won't interfere with seeing the pins, but it does take a bit of shooting to get used to.

The good news is that the nitro cam has a wide string channel, on some bows with very narrow string channels, severe cam lean could possibly lead to derailment - not cool.

Good luck

Sonny Thomas

Default Cam lean on brand new alien

Like Joel, Barry and others, cam lean is over blown. My Shadowcat has cam lean top and bottom and one the most accurate bows I've ever owned.
    I shot Hoyts for years with their floating yokes. What cam lean you had is what you had and back then Hoyts were outstanding.

I am really surprised or just plain lost.. I thought sure someone in here had pics of his modified guide rod, bent the way he needed. Cost one heck of a lot less than the anti-torque rods on the market today, some running upwards of $70.00!

Some one is offering offset guide rods (maybe also bent) for specific bows. Cost I believe is $45.00 which I think is a bit steep. It's just plain ole black.

Personally, I think offset guide rods should be a option for all Martin bows. What, offer one size fits all with cutting to size? If advertised as such where would be the complaint?

Barry knows what I'm talking about here and I think discussed long before; The old aluminum offset guide rods. These rods flexed! Man! You could test draw and turn them so the arrow just cleared the cables at full draw and no issues of getting out of the bow cleanly.
    Again, I robbed every old bow hanging in the back room of their aluminum offset guide rods. I sold the last for $20.00.

Think I'll ask Jack Iyman, a local machine shop owner, how much it would cost to market offset guide rods in different materials. Stainless steel for us that like shine

Sonny Thomas

If I can get some time in between cleaning up I'll take some good pics of my 2000 Hoyt UltraTec. It's a nightmare for cam lean and will shoot lights out. Just like the pics show for cam lean I used it to take 2nd in Championship flight in the IAA State Field Championship. 224 arrows shot during the competition and 2 points down from the Champion.

Sonny Thomas

Knocking off for today. So got the pic of my Hoyt UltraTec, actually both cam and wheel are leaning the same direction, like this \ \ .

This UltraTec has a ata of 38 1/2". Like all long ata bows, cam lean isn't all that effected all full draw like shorter ata bows.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default cam lean on 2013 alien

heres a better pic of the cam lean at full draw
    Attachment 8023
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dzsmith; 04-25-2013 at 06:00 PM. Reason: uploaded wrong picture

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yikes!!

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com