Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Cam lean on brand new alien

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dzsmith View Post
    let me clear something up real quick, martin has not specifically told me that i cant send it in or anything nor that they wouldnt warranty a problem, ive yet to officially get in contact with them, joel just said that cam lean is overrated and perfectly normal, obviously a bow shooting over a foot low, with lean like is abormal, but i havent told discussed this with martin on a 1 on 1 basis bet, but as per my dealer, im gonna have to send it in anyway because they dont know what else to do to raise my arrow.
    My bad...i thought you had contacted them and or have talked to someone...other than your dealer.

Post Thanks / Like

let me clear something up real quick, martin has not specifically told me that i cant send it in or anything nor that they wouldnt warranty a problem, ive yet to officially get in contact with them, joel just said that cam lean is overrated and perfectly normal, obviously a bow shooting over a foot low, with lean like is abormal, but i havent told discussed this with martin on a 1 on 1 basis bet, but as per my dealer, im gonna have to send it in anyway because they dont know what else to do to raise my arrow.
    Something is puzzling to me and needs further explanation. What do you mean the bow is shooting a foot low @ 10 yards. Assuming the bow is tuned to some degree, the rest is mounted close to the Berger holes, the nocking point is close to 90 degrees, peep sight is somewhere in the realm of normal you should be able to sight it in.

Many people post on the internet that they can't get enough adjustment from the sight, that their pins are maxed out and the sight is maxed out (vertically) and think there is something wrong with the bow or the sight. In almost all cases they are having these issues due to a high anchor point (low arrows) which calls for a short distance between the nocking point and the peep sight. In almost every case all that needs done is for the shooter to lower his anchor, raise the peep, and maybe have to adjust the draw length of the bow to accomplish all this.

Being a short statured guy by most standards (5'8") I shoot just about 26 3/4" draw. Depending on the A2A of a bow my normal peep height is just about 6" above the nocking point. This what it is on both of my Nemisis bows (34" bow). On my Alien Z (36") it is slightly less due a more obtuse string angle. But let's use about 6" for a bench mark for comparison with yours. Shorter bow and longer draw length might make the peep higher. How does yours measure up?

Something else you might want to look at is the limb deflection cose on the under side of the limb butts to see if they match. Somebody did mention mismatched limbs so this would be a quick way to see if they are the same.

Just trying to eliminate as many variables as possible.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

, I actually did talk to the dealer about this, he said that lowering my anchor below my jaw line isn't enough in this case. I say ten yards, because i was honestly afraid to shoot it any further away than that without loosing an arrow. I called Martin today, got a return number, and it will be in the mail tomorrow. Don't know what the issue is, if I didn't work full time at a power plant maybe I could mess with it at home more, but when I can't, and the dealer can't, sending it in is my last option for the moment

Post Thanks / Like

, I actually did talk to the dealer about this, he said that lowering my anchor below my jaw line isn't enough in this case. I say ten yards, because i was honestly afraid to shoot it any further away than that without loosing an arrow. I called Martin today, got a return number, and it will be in the mail tomorrow. Don't know what the issue is, if I didn't work full time at a power plant maybe I could mess with it at home more, but when I can't, and the dealer can't, sending it in is my last option for the moment
    Hope they figure it out. Let's hope sending it in is the best option and hopefully the last.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Ill keep u guys posted

Sonny Thomas

Default Cam lean on brand new alien

Yes, I would like to know the outcome. You say the bow tunes, but shoots low. That is weird. It's just like information is missing.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

i dont know what info you are looking for, the arrow with the rest at full draw centered with the berger holes, the peep is perfect with my eye, my sight is adjusted as low as possible, the shot on paper is slightly high and right, but no big deal. the only issue im seeing is with my short draw lenght the cam is bottomed out which is probably making the lean worse if i had to guess, but there really isnt anything that can mechanically be done on that end. one thing i failed to think about was , what if it was my arrow,i was only shooting one arrow through it, the arrow appears to be in perfect condition, and shot this arrow many times throught the exile with no issues.

Sonny Thomas

Default Cam lean on brand new alien

My way of setting up using my Magnatec and MarXman, but consider the ata is 37 3/4" and 37 1/2";
    All bow specs checked with limbs maxed out.

If single cam - look for smooth flow off the cam.

Cat cams and don't what you call them; synced/timed as per Martin manual.

Bow set in bow vice and leveled RS string level - arrow rest installed and leveled.

Trial and error - brass nock used, just crimped so it can still be moved to aid setting arrow rest.

Trial and error - arrow rest height set so center of shaft is centered to berger hole.

A bit of fine setting with either - tying string tied nock for nocking point or top knot of loop is nocking point.

Final look - arrow centered to berger hole and nocking point 1/16" to 1/8" high. My Shadowcat and MarXman show right at 1/16" high nock.

Center shot - eye ball bow string to groove of top wheel or top cam. Arrow nocked, move rest so arrow aligns to aligned string/wheel or cam groove. Trial and error to get best possible alignment - release aid and a tiny bit of center of shaft to the inside is acceptable.

Sight installed - gang sight set pins center to housing. With rest fully up and or locked fully up, measure from top of arrow shaft to pin used for 20 yards. Move gang so 20 yard pin is approx 3 3/8" above arrow shaft.
    Yes, 3 3/8". Now figure it takes X number of yards for the arrow to climb to the wanted 20 yard height.
    So tradjectory path begins at the bow, zero, climbs to X height and then begins it's descent.
    For my MarXman, 284 fps, Grid mark 29.06 is 28 yards. Grid mark 29.00 is also 7 yards.

Peep - set center of peep from top of arrow nock. Approx 6 1/4" up for the MagnaTec and 6" up for the MarXman. Shorter ata bows would be higher. Okay, my anchor establishes peep height.

Now, centering the 20 yards pin, not gang, the vast majority of times the bows is close for 20 yards and several times I've been dead on for 20 yards. Remember, this is a set up. I use 20 yards. I don't give a hoot what the pin will used for desired distance. Me, I'm setting up bow. When the owner comes, then finer setting will be done.

I finish with Walk Back tuning; Using 20 yard pin for both, zero side to side on a leveled verticle line, move back to 30 yards and check for right or left impact. If left move rest tiny bit right. If right move rest tiny bit left. And I start over. When arrow is dead on for verticle at 10 feet and 30 yards I'm done other than fine tuning sight pins for wanted distances of the owner.

Back off limbs - Using a lead pencil I mark the limb bolt head (head, not washer) back to the limb and mark off center of limb bolt - like "b," but verticle line a bit inside - my rational; see for alignment better.
    Don't lose track of number turns backing off, if 2 for the top, then 2 for the bottom.

I have a ton of pictures of cams showing flow of the bow string off different cams.
    Last edited by Sonny Thomas; 04-30-2013 at 03:39 PM.